The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 04-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #16
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishNazi
This could be because Apple fell in love with the idea of stealing millions of Windows customers by going with Dual Intel core instead. Apple's still onboard for Blu-Ray though so eh whatever.
Most likely but even when Nobuyuki Idei and Ken Kutaragi tried to interest Apple in using the Cell he commented that is be less effective then even PowerPC. As for BlueRay Apple has a table seat in the BlueRay association. They work with companies like Panasonic and others to perfect the formate. Sony isn't the only makers of it after all. (By the way I didn't mean for that post to sound like I'm giving you a history lesson. )

Last edited by Reality; 04-26-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:18 PM   #17
Seraph
>:3

I want an iPod with a cell chip in it >:D
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:33 PM   #18
Seska
Slurp

Everyone knows Apple sucks for games. And Im not just talking about lack of games on OSX, hell, WoW runs better on a MAc running WinXP than on a MAc running OSX. Fo reals.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #19
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJAY
Sony does have a few original ip's = like R&C which I am looking forward too, but it is looking like 3rd parties are going more and more multi platform to offset dev. costs.
Publishers are going more and more toward multiplatforming because as greed increases, intelligence decreases. Everyone thinks they can be EA. I'm anticipating fewer quality games next gen.

Quote:
I don't think Sony is in trouble, just that they will need to invest in creating more quality 1st party titles (or at least elevate the gameplay of Getaway and Killzone to justify the graphics upgrade) and not rely on 3rd parties carrying them so heavily this time around.
I thought Sony did a great job on the PS2. The PS1 sucked, but the large number of quality games from Sony on the PS2 was the biggest surprise for me. Sure they made some mistakes, but they showed a lot of patience with their developers. The likes of God of War, Twisted Metal, GT, ATV Offroad Fury, The Mark of Kri, Champions of Norrath, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Sly, SOCOM, HSG etc. made for a pretty impressive lineup.

Quote:
It would be great to see them use their 1 position in the market to really go for it with some amazing all new games.
I think they want to keep their #1 position, too. We'll see new IPs. Some have already been announced. I suspect we'll see a fair mix. If Sony improves from their last outing I think they will have a 1st/2nd party lineup that rivals Nintendo (though personally, I thought they were better "last" generation).
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #20
RYU

Quote:
he said. "He spent quite a bit of money on it. $400 million for a processor...this is about as serious as it gets.
it's joke,right???
Old 04-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #21
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
Most likely but even when Nobuyuki Idei and Ken Kutaragi tried to interest Apple in using the Cell he commented that is be less effective then even PowerPC. As for BlueRay Apple has a table seat in the BlueRay association. They work with companies like Panasonic and others to perfect the formate. Sony isn't the only makers of it after all. (By the way I didn't mean for that post to sound like I'm giving you a history lesson. )

Thing is IBM Sony & Toshiba developed the cell chip for high end hardware like televisions, hdpvrs, and etc. The language differs alot too, so that's what this chip is really designed for hardware processor and high end servers. Cell server blades are coming soon, but if they deliver on performance they'll go for a mint at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM
Now available:

The Cell Broadband Engine Architecture ? defines a processor structure directed toward distributed processing and multimedia applications. This structure contains a Power Architecture? processor augmented with multiple high-performance single instruction, multiple data (SIMD) Synergistic Processor Units and a rich set of DMA commands for efficient communications among processing elements.

The Synergistic Processor Unit Instruction Set Architecture (SPU ISA) ? discloses the high performance SIMD RISC processor designed to accelerate media and streaming applications for systems based upon the Cell Broadband Engine Architecture.
(Speculation) This is also why you might see alot of the server type stuff on the PS3, Sony is essentially selling late Beta hardware to the masses, which will act as demos of what the stuff can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU
it's joke,right???
The 400 million may be a little off but I wouldn't put it that far off because it was more of a joint effort so $120 million is less to bite when your stock triples (toshiba) or a decent increase (IBM, and Sony). $120 million isn't that bad to create a new technology, especially if it takes on and forces the other big boys to adapt.

Last edited by AmishNazi; 04-26-2006 at 07:57 PM.
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #22
QECocoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishNazi
(Speculation) This is also why you might see alot of the server type stuff on the PS3, Sony is essentially selling late Beta hardware to the masses, which will act as demos of what the stuff can do.
sony is selling beta to the masses .. j/k

on the cell, i rather wait for words from end consumers, and most probably from the reviews it'll get before i form an opinion about it.. then again by that time, my opinion about it would hardly even worth mentioning unlike if i said it right now while hype is still trying to be built.. the thing is.. you can take all of the things the maker says about their product and in the end.. its just marketing really. . they can talk about sophisticated stuff about processors that fit inside a celphone and they still would make some think like its a supercomputer or something. ;)

on the ps3 launch.. .. im interested in motorstorm the best :cool guy:
QECocoa is offline   Reply With Quote