The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 04-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
DBJAY

So, the PS3 launch software is...

for the November launch of its PlayStation 3. Despite the reports of confirmation from Sony, these titles should still be taken with a grain of salt. Here's the list, so far: John Woo's Stranglehold, Tekken, Sonic the Hedgehog, Resistance: Fall of Man, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Lair, Motorstorm and Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom. Also keep in mind, we reported that Ridger Racer 7.

from 1up.com.

The unique titles are Resistance FOM, Tekken, Lair, Motorstorm, Ridge Racer 7 and Untold Legeds.

Add in the usual EA titles, some THQ, Ubisoft and Activision cross platfrom titles for the rest of the list. I'm suprised that Sega's Condemned didn't make it. Although this list is not confirmed so a notable absence like Warhawk, etc. might pop up officially later on.

Of all of those, I'm interested to see how Lair and Resistance are turning out.

I think Sony might have an issue with creating their own software identity apart from the multi-platform games. I hope they are not relying on movie playback and PS2 b/c as their main focus this year! As it is, it's a solid line-up for those that will choose to go single console owner in 2007, not so much for multi-platform owners.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
Seska
Slurp

Sony has a plethora of exclusive Intellectual Properties they have created on the PS2 that I am sure they plan on exploiting on the PS3. Also, considering the utter failure of the 360 in Japan, most devs will be working on PS3 and Rev games, meaning we will get a wider variety of genres and niche titles on PS3 and Rev than on the 360.

But then again it was the same this gen with the Xbox, PS2 and GC, so no surprises there.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska
Sony has a plethora of exclusive Intellectual Properties they have created on the PS2 that I am sure they plan on exploiting on the PS3. Also, considering the utter failure of the 360 in Japan, most devs will be working on PS3 and Rev games, meaning we will get a wider variety of genres and niche titles on PS3 and Rev than on the 360.

But then again it was the same this gen with the Xbox, PS2 and GC, so no surprises there.
yeah it would be interesting to see whats up when release comes...

btw, Seska, whats your avatar?
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Dunno,

if thats the full releases (though I expect Warhawk and I-8, and a close MGS4) there really isnt anything worth buying that isnt on the X360 as well. Its kinda sad that people will spend close to $200 extra dollars on a name, unless they are waiting for MGS4. If GTA and FF are announced multi-platform this e3 (which if they will be announced sometime, you can bet it all that Sony is trying to have them announce this after their luanch) then I feel a lot of other potential customers will take the same view I have.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
phknrocket1k

[quote=DBJAY] I'm suprised that Sega's Condemned didn't make it. [quote]

Why are you surprised? The PS3 version was cancelled months ago.
phknrocket1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #6
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Boring. But you know, there have to be other "secret" launch titles. Of course, there's always the immortal rumor of a Final Fantasy VII remake. That would definitely sell a few systems...
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:06 PM   #7
Decado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJAY
Of all of those, I'm interested to see how Lair and Resistance are turning out.
Likewise.

Quote:
I think Sony might have an issue with creating their own software identity apart from the multi-platform games.
Why? Sure there will be tons of multiplatform games, but that was the case last generation and likely will be for some time. Compared to the Xbox/360 the PS3 is in a brilliant position. Also, like the Xbox "last" generation, the PS3 should have an edge with multiplatform titles (I'm assuming the PS3 is going to be more powerful than the 360...something relative to the difference between the Xbox/PS2).
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
TheHardware
The Moment..

uhm lair ...maybe...other than that ill use it to toast bread while vaccuming with it and launching missiles...ps3ps3ps3
Old 04-25-2006, 10:26 PM   #9
phknrocket1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado
Likewise.

Why? Sure there will be tons of multiplatform games, but that was the case last generation and likely will be for some time. Compared to the Xbox/360 the PS3 is in a brilliant position. Also, like the Xbox "last" generation, the PS3 should have an edge with multiplatform titles (I'm assuming the PS3 is going to be more powerful than the 360...something relative to the difference between the Xbox/PS2).
The difference is going to be narrower than Xbox/GC.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xbox360_vs_ps3.asp
phknrocket1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:42 PM   #10
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

That site is from a YEAR ago and bases the closeness on the 360 HD Media experience.

Cell on paper is faster and Nvidia is somewhat kicking ATI's ass this gen, so we know where my hopefullness lies.
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:57 AM   #11
DBJAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado
Likewise.

I'm antcipating near identical ports between the systems. Last gen, saw plenty of lazy ports from PS2 to Xbox so I'm assuming that the same will hold true this gen as well. But in that case, the Xbox ports were always a bit visually superior and had better sound. But now, it's not like the games can get get much sharper than through VGA or 720p HD and the sound quality should be indentical. For ports, I would at most expect better frame rates on the PS3 if the 360 has issues with some title. Probably the greatest difference between versions will be online features.

Sony does have a few original ip's = like R&C which I am looking forward too, but it is looking like 3rd parties are going more and more multi platform to offset dev. costs. I don't think Sony is in trouble, just that they will need to invest in creating more quality 1st party titles (or at least elevate the gameplay of Getaway and Killzone to justify the graphics upgrade) and not rely on 3rd parties carrying them so heavily this time around. Hopefully E3 will reveal some unexpected games that isn't following the PS2 mold so closely.

The presence of Tekken and Ridge Racer at launch, the promise of MGS at some point in the future, along with GT at some point is too similar to how the PS2 turned out. One one hard, it's great business sense and I respect that, on the other, familiarity creates boredom. It would be great to see them use their 1 position in the market to really go for it with some amazing all new games.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:01 AM   #12
progmetal
!

Quote:
the father of Cell himself, Peter Hofstee told a group of eager onlookers how the PS3 is going to be more powerful than a Vindaloo from a Newcastle curry house.
Quote:
"It really was Sony and Ken Kutaragi that was the driver for this project," he said. "He spent quite a bit of money on it. $400 million for a processor...this is about as serious as it gets." "Remarkably," he added, "this chip is almost exactly the same size, in square millimetres, as the first chip that went into the PlayStation2."
Quote:
"My dream is that everyone who has a PlayStation can start programming with Cell."
LINK

Xbox 360 ID: progmetal (Silver)
PSN ID: Progmetal
progmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:08 AM   #13
Diavle

PSthree here I come.
Diavle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #14
Reality
Sin and Punishment

$400 million to make and not even Apple will develop on it.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #15
AmishNazi
Skag Killer Extraordanaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
$400 million to make and not even Apple will develop on it.

This could be because Apple fell in love with the idea of stealing millions of Windows customers by going with Dual Intel core instead. Apple's still onboard for Blu-Ray though so eh whatever.
AmishNazi is offline   Reply With Quote