The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 03-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Reko8
meow

Guild Wars Any Good?

I ahve been looking into this game and it looks pretty stunning. I watched the Gamespot video review and it makes me want to play it more. Has anyone tried this game out? If you have, can you please give me a short little review on how good it is.

Last Completed:
Resident Evil 5
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:30 AM   #2
Alucard

I've played it for a while. Its quite fun. Its a little tricky finding the right people who give you the quests to get more spells for your specific class, but theres alot of variety in the game. Very pretty aswell.

When playing its just you. The cities are the only places with people playing other characters where you can trade stuff, buy stuff, teamup, etc. If you dont have anyone to group up with, you can go outside int he Instanced world zones on you rown, or get some NPCs to group up with you that are usually standing in a line near the exit. Even the story is done well. I got my eye on the new one coming out.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Speranza

I mainly pick up and put down guildwars as it's not really my cup of tea.
for a free online game it's ok but i dont think i will invest money in the factions expansion as i don't play it as much.

Now world of warcraft. ill play all the time and it keeps me addicted
Old 03-26-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
Reko8
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speranza
I mainly pick up and put down guildwars as it's not really my cup of tea.
for a free online game it's ok but i dont think i will invest money in the factions expansion as i don't play it as much.

Now world of warcraft. ill play all the time and it keeps me addicted
Yeah, WoW is exactly why I'm considering GW. Blizzard provides such HORRIBLE servers (with a capital H), my server crashed all weekend. That shows they just go to strip joint with our money instead of getting decent servers for us. I'm a priest as well and it is hard to find a party sometimes, especially at prime time because no one are on their alts.

Plus, I still got $20 birthday money only at EBgames so I'm going to get GW so I can play that while the servers are horrible or I can't find a party in WoW.

Last Completed:
Resident Evil 5
Old 03-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Alucard

Dont compare GW to WoW. They are completely different. Think of it as comparing Diablo to WoW, because thats what you're doing. Alot of the crew who made GW were ex Diablo people.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:00 PM   #6
da missinlink
MIA It would seem

The thing about Guild Wars is that its fun if you can find a good group to run throguh the quests with. I mean it is possible with npc's, but no where near as easy. I stopped playing at release because I played so much during the beta and lost to many lvl 20's, that i started from lvl 1 with, to wipes, and I didn't find enough new missions at the early stages of the game. It's good and I may get back into it, but you just need to find a solid group of people to run with. Thats what I think anyway.
da missinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Reko8
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Dont compare GW to WoW. They are completely different. Think of it as comparing Diablo to WoW, because thats what you're doing. Alot of the crew who made GW were ex Diablo people.
That's good, I'll be playing both, I bought GW. I ahve a WoW description until June 4th so I'm not going to waste that.

Last Completed:
Resident Evil 5
Old 03-27-2006, 12:14 AM   #8
Seraph
>:3

its a korean made game right? If it is then I approve >:D
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:19 AM   #9
Alucard

Korean published! Alot of the crew are wetserners for the dev team. So in other words it LOOKS good AND plays good. Unlike looking good only!
Old 03-27-2006, 01:13 AM   #10
Seraph
>:3

so its like the bastard child MMORPG.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:47 AM   #11
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Its not an MMO...
And personally, its trash

Horrible Community
Hellishly Easy
PvP sucks
Done with in a day, maybe 2 if your slow to hit max level
Old 03-27-2006, 03:22 AM   #12
Alucard

Easy my arse. My level 14 character cant finish a few quests with the npc teammates. I need normal people to come help me. And if you're reaching 20th level in 1 day, you are putting in a full 24hours with some cheating powerlevelling or exploiting or something. I dont know ANYONE who can complete the game in a day.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:26 AM   #13
Seska
Slurp

You cant really hit max level in a single day unless you spend ALL day in front of your PC whoring yourself out. Thats a gross exaggeration. the Game is, howvever, very easy, and max level can be done in a week if you are a solid player. I found many missions are even easier to do with a team of NPCs than with players, cause some players are jsut too fucking stupid.

And yes, GW is definitely not a MMORPG. At its best its a ORPG, comparable to the likes of PSO and MAgic: The Gathering, or Diablo 2. Theres nothing MAssive in GW except the world you have to explore, but even that is nowhere near as massive as the worlds in most staple MMORPGs.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:42 AM   #14
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

It took me and a rag-tag bunch of random guildies 1 and a half days to hit level 20. Dissapointed in both the horrible PvP and lack of crap to do endgame, not to mention the ease of the single player campaign, no one has loged on in over 7 months (well I did to see if anyone was playing...)
Old 03-27-2006, 06:26 AM   #15
Reko8
meow

I'm still going on WoW so GW is second priority and I must say I am liking it. I'm not going to be playing GW 24/7 so I won't max lvl just as fast savoring the gameplay

Last Completed:
Resident Evil 5