The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 10-11-2002, 01:18 PM   #1
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Video Games blamed for sniper on east coast

It was inevitible. Video games came up on the today show as playing a part in the recent sniper killings on the east coast.

Basically I think it's a crock of shit that video games get the blame. The real reason is this "sniper" is mentally ill. He's very good at this and I doubt his skill came from playing Medal of Honor or Counterstrike. He's probably ex military and has some vendetta and is killing innocent people. He is MENTALLY ILL. Video Games always get the blame and it's bullshit. Anybody that plays FPS and is mentally together can tell the difference between reality and video games. I played medal of honor online lastnight and at any given time there was between 8 and 9,000 people playing on 1500 different servers. Counterstrike gets 5 times that many people playing at any given time. If video games are so bad how come there aren't more people going ballistic and killing people? Because they are mentally sane, that's why! It's too easy to blame video games and that's why it's done because they can't realize this person has a mental illness that is causing him to kill innocent people.

What do you guys think?
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 01:44 PM   #2
Nindalf

Yeah i agree...he is nuts(or maybe he is she!)
Its stupid that serial killers should always have a reason...its possible that he just gone crazy...no reasons. Maybe he just had rough times and snapped.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 03:16 PM   #3
ATMA
Gamer junkie

Well it's obvious that "Sniper Wolf" isn't 100% sane ..he/she must be just plain sick!

I made a thread about people pointing fingers at the video-game world when something goes wrong ..a loooong time ago! And some people asked me why i worry so much about it? Well this is the reason ..cause everything that seems "extreem" in the eyes of the Authorities , well you know they'll blame the games or the movies! It's obvious this guy is a pro ..and you can't learn these things by playing a game!

The way i see it, "Sniper Wolf" must make a mistake, if he doesn't make a mistake this person will never be cought!
Old 10-11-2002, 04:24 PM   #4
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Dang, I was supposed to start a topic on this very thing.. but I forgot about it.

Yeah- Jack Thompson, video game violence lawyer, called in the tip line to suggest that the sniper could be a video game junkie, or have obtained the training though video games. Though the thought struck my mind, I think it's all -

Bogus!

lousy attention getting lawyer- now you know all those violent video games are teh devil activists are going to get all riled up and start thumping their chests. *shakes fist at activists.. and lawyers*
Old 10-12-2002, 05:43 AM   #5
Nindalf

Did anyone see in news the note this guy gave to the police?
It was written backside of an tarot card(naturally the card was Death)and said: Dear Policeman.I am God

If that aint sick i dont know what is!
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 08:53 PM   #6
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Yeah this guy is defenitely mental case.

Remember when the Columbine shootings took place how much of a big deal they made out of Doom? Joe Lieberman took it up on his own to make a stand against video games. Where is that idiot now? Long forgotten as far as I'm concerned.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 03:21 AM   #7
Alucard

I'm pretty sure the guy just wants to have a movie made after him and be remembered in Americas history. Using the sniping and the tarot cards and leaving notes for the police. He's a freak with a gun.

Probably have Ben Afleck playing the lead cop who's trying to find out the guy. Cheesy suspense movie. The guy has little imagination for wanting to be remembered. I just hope they find him sooner rather then later.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 07:15 PM   #8
Seska

Not as much as wanting to be remebered as feeling powerful and almighty like god, hiding on some faraway spot, "camping" and killing undetected, unseen, unsuspected.

In other words, a psycho.

Ah, and yes. I think Counterstrike and Metal Gear Solid are ENTIRELY to balme for this social reject. Using these rudimentary videogames of moving a mouse/joypad and pressing a button gave him the skills of Leon the Professional to kill undetected. We should ban all videogames.

Now.

Be like Greece, or at least like they tried to be. Go team!
Old 10-13-2002, 07:21 PM   #9
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Everything is blame on videogames, but fortunately, videogames makers are under the protection of the first amendment, regardless of any incident, games and its makers cannot be held accountable for any damages as a result of playing videogames. You seen those law suits agains't the games industry, they never get of ground.
Old 10-13-2002, 11:23 PM   #10
Healin

They're crazy to blame video games. I play unreal and you don see me running around shooting people. This guy has some serious problem. Hope he gets caught soon but my friends say the police don have a clue and he strikes without any warning... there is not a detectable link between the victims. Hope they get him fast....
Old 10-15-2002, 03:37 PM   #11
vherub
filasofer

OF course, getting less attention in this matter is the U.S. army's own video game, America's Army, released as an entertainment/recruitment tool

The video game industry is easy to badmouth because 1) the perception is the user base is just punk kids 2) there is little to no respect for the industry as anything but an elaborate toy maker and most importantly 3) there is no well-known organization that can come out with a statement arguing what utter nonsense it is holding video games as a cause towards the behavior of unhealthy and unbalanced individuals
Old 10-18-2002, 11:33 PM   #12
WINDJAMMERS

It was only a matter of time. I'm sure the killer likes playing Super Mario Sunshine in hiis spare time. You know, when he isn't shooting people in their front yards he has to find all the gosh darn red coins.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:02 PM   #13
Xelloss/Tsugaru

That's stupid. I heard at another board that he must have military training. It's not like you can become an expert sniper from video games. It's completely different. As you guys wisely said, he is obviously not completely sane. No one who leaves the Death tarot card with a note saying ''Dear Policeman: I am god'' who is sane.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:29 PM   #14
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

I say that the more video games you play, the less bad-ass and deadly you become. All these anti-video game "experts" don't know jack about video games. I remember in a speech when Joe Liberman said that Mortal Kombat was made by Sega.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 01:32 PM   #15
Dr.Nick Riviera

Dont blame the military "Uncle Sam takes care of his boys .......aand some girls " j/k I bet he was in the military and did not play much video games