The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 10-08-2002, 06:18 PM   #1
baratus
Elite Bouncer

Metroid Prime length

I didn't wrote this, I take it from a Metroid forum but I want to hear everyone's opinion here about this matter.

"I remember that a length of 8 hours was reported but i never found confirmation. Does anyone have information on the matter. In my opinion, a length of 8 hours is ridiculus and unacceptable. metroid games are long epic adventures(8hrs obviously would not qualify) I dont care how beatiful the graphics are or how good the gameplay is. If it is only 8 hrs long that is not enough time to get intio a game."
baratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 06:21 PM   #2
Seska

8 hrs sounds kinda in line with your standard FPS, though not with a Metroid Game. Hope the game dont turn out to be the former.

Ahwell, theres always Metroid Fusion, which I am looking more forward to than Prime. :)
Old 10-08-2002, 06:54 PM   #3
FumieHosokawa
changed how I judge women

You expecting Final Fantasy length? (Mostly comprised of non-interactive cut scenes and repetitive battles to build up HP, anyway?) Eight hours is plenty for an epic adventure... I don't remember a thorough walk-through of Super Metroid taking nearly that--you could do it under two, was it, to get the bikini ending. Jeez, put together all three Lord of the Rings films and it wouldn't even be more. Shouldn't people be concerned about the actual content instead of how much there is, especially if it's crap?

Best example: Ico. Short, but epic, nonetheless.
FumieHosokawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:18 PM   #4
baratus
Elite Bouncer

This is a FPS game people, it can't be that short, I remember Turok 2 took me about 25 hours to finish and Metroid Prime is a non-linear game so it should take more that 8 hours.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:42 PM   #5
FumieHosokawa

Actually, baratus, those anticipating Metroid Prime will be quick to correct you: it's not a FPS, but a FPA, A for Adventure. N64 Turok 2 (which I gave up on) taking that long, I can understand--just from all the slowdown alone!

Me, I'm kinda expecting a sci-fi version of Ultima Underworld. The first one was brilliant, but the sequel, which was longer but only got awfully repetitive, proved to me that sometimes these experiences are better off short(er) but sweet(er).
Old 10-08-2002, 08:21 PM   #6
baratus
Elite Bouncer

*sigh* I guess there's no point in discussing the length of Prime, every forum I go most people seem to be happy with the game having 8 lousy hours. Some people obviously don't know the meaning of a hard and long game... to many rookie gamers I guess.

I'm not refering to you FumieHosokawa so no quote me on this.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:21 PM   #7
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Quote:
Originally posted by FumieHosokawa
Actually, baratus, those anticipating Metroid Prime will be quick to correct you: it's not a FPS, but a FPA, A for Adventure. N64 Turok 2 (which I gave up on) taking that long, I can understand--just from all the slowdown alone!

Me, I'm kinda expecting a sci-fi version of Ultima Underworld. The first one was brilliant, but the sequel, which was longer but only got awfully repetitive, proved to me that sometimes these
experiences are better off short(er) but sweet(er).
Yeah, Metroid Prime is a first person adventure, not shooter. ;)

People always needed to be reminded of that. But there's plenty of shooting involved, like the Parasite Queen in one of the movie.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:47 PM   #8
FumieHosokawa

Quote:
Originally posted by baratus
Some people obviously don't know the meaning of a hard and long game... to many rookie gamers I guess.
No offense taken, but keep in mind the difference between a shooter and an adventure. The former rewards you on kill count; players don't often care that the backgrounds, the enemies, the action itself can be single-mindedly repetitive. Whereas in adventures--at least good ones--the goal is discovery and novelty of the unknown. Now if they can manage to make it that interesting for eight hours, I don't see how much more you can ask... unless you'd prefer three, five times as long with the same bad guys coming after you only in different combinations.
Old 10-08-2002, 09:14 PM   #9
WINDJAMMERS

I don't know why this guy is whining. All previous Metriod games could be completed in less than 7 hours.

This reminds me of a quote I saw:

"A game's length should be like a girl's skirt, long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep you interested."
Old 10-08-2002, 10:47 PM   #10
baratus
Elite Bouncer

Quote:
Originally posted by FumieHosokawa

No offense taken, but keep in mind the difference between a shooter and an adventure. The former rewards you on kill count; players don't often care that the backgrounds, the enemies, the action itself can be single-mindedly repetitive. Whereas in adventures--at least good ones--the goal is discovery and novelty of the unknown. Now if they can manage to make it that interesting for eight hours, I don't see how much more you can ask... unless you'd prefer three, five times as long with the same bad guys coming after you only in different combinations.
Star Fox is an adventure game that takes about 20 hours to complete, I don't see why Prime can't last that long. Also, remember that this game is primarily based on exploration, in fact, I heard there's more exploration than battle. Think of the time you gather when you get stuck somewhere without knowing where to go next, with all the backtracking stuff it should obviously take many hours. I accept 8 hours the second time you play the game, but so little time the first time sounds unacceptable.

And WINDJAMMERS, I'm not whinnig, I'm simply complaining about something that most of today's games suffer. You do realize that the majority of those games are short in lenght do you? Now if you like games that can be beaten within two days...
Old 10-08-2002, 11:12 PM   #11
metroidman

Quote:
metroid games are long epic adventures

trying not to flame.Someone either ignorant or sadly misinformed.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:28 PM   #12
baratus
Elite Bouncer

The therm epic doesn't apply to any Metroid game, games like Zelda and other Rpgs are epic adventures.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:22 AM   #13
Cobi*
renegade

correct me if i'm wrong but wern't you supposed to beat super metroid in less than 2 hrs to get the best ending? that doesn't sound epic to me at all. why is this a problem with metroid prime? 8hrs is plenty long
Cobi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 02:10 AM   #14
baratus
Elite Bouncer

Like I said, 8 hours is a good time for Metroid Prime the next time you play it to see a half-naked Samus or whatever thing Retro Studios might include if you go for a record time. The first time though it should take plenty more of that time.
Old 10-09-2002, 03:34 AM   #15
Seska

The "you could complete Super Metroid in 2 hours" argument is kinda pointless. You can complete Metal Gear Solid in 2 hours. Metal Gear Solid 2 can be done apparently in the same space of time too. Heck, even FFVIII could be completed in about 4 hours, and thats a 40-hour game we are talking about.

And as for FPS games being about mindless shooting games where "players don't often care that the backgrounds, the enemies, the action itself can be single-mindedly repetitive" - you must be talking about Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament 2K3. Thats the Deathmatch FPS, but pick up any title like No one lives Forever 2, Medal of Honor, Jedi Knight 2 or Soldier of Fortune 2, and you will find that in the singleplayer mode, backgrounds, enemies and ways of dispatching them are anything BUT repetitive.

The line between Metroid Prime and a modern-day FPS is very, very thin.