The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 01-26-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
justin_credible

Texas politician proposes 100 percent game tax

Quote:
Texas politician proposes 100 percent game tax
[UPDATE] Republican primary candidate wants to eliminate property taxes by heavily taxing games the government deems "violent."

Though incumbent Governor Rick Perry is almost assured to win the Republican nomination for this year's gubernatorial election in Texas, he does face three longshot challengers. One of them, Corpus Christi rancher Star Locke, has proposed eliminating property taxes in the Lone Star State with revenue from taxing three things he finds undesirable. Specifically, Locke is proposing a $10,000 per-abortion tax on medical clinics that perform abortions and a 50 percent tax on all sodas "contains added glucose, fructose, sucrose to the beverage for sale to humans."

[UPDATE] However, gamers will be especially alarmed by the third part of Locke's property-tax-relief proposal--a 100 percent tax on "violent video games." According to the candidate's official Web site, the candidate would impose "The Family Security & Protection Act" when elected. Section 4 of the act calls for "levy a 100 percent of price sales cost tax for the sale on ... any video game containing any form of human violence."

"I take the position that the Founding Fathers took: that the power to tax is the power to destroy," Locke told the Amarillo Globe News. "So our concept is that we need to tax things we don't want and you want to not tax things that you want to encourage."

However, in the unlikely event he is sent to the governor's mansion, Locke would create a 10-member board that label games as violent. According to the Globe, the tax itself would be levied against the publishers of said games--and quickly. "Once it's reviewed, the tax would be levied swiftly," he said.

[UPDATE] Locke's other platform promises call for the repeal of all alcoholic beverage laws and a 50 percent "grease tax" on "upon all food prepared by deep-frying or cooking in any form of oil or grease for human consumption."
By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot
This is why I need out of Texas. Abuncha redneck politicians that supposedly stand for less Government, yet they come up with bull**** like this. Of course if this proposition did go through the guy would get murdered, GTA style.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
that the power to tax is the power to destroy

So when people were taxed for just living in their houses, the goverment was actually trying to destroy them?

Bogus Law, will never even be considered to be passed. I think they guy just said that for publicity.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #3
justin_credible

Although he's just a moron saying it for his own terms because he hates "fun", the power to tax is the power to destroy.

The power to tax our homes is a violation of private property rights our fore-fathers originally intended. That is something modern day politicians have modified on their own.

It is meant to destroy, seraph. Do you not realize what just happened in 2005 to where all private property is at risk to Government seizure?

The Government is not on your side my friend, wake up.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
ChillVirus
Intuition is everything.

This law is going to make places like Ebay very happy, their sales in Texas are going to skyrocket!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold
...in the dark, humans all look the same; stripped of the skin, humans are composed of the same material, have the same flesh, blood, and viscera; when cooked, all humans taste the same, delicious or hideous depending on the skills of the cook.
ChillVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
DBJAY

Here is the inherent flaw in his logic. So they repeal property taxes. Then, they tax things they intent to destroy. Let's say they are successful, and people no longer purchase violent games, unhealthy food & drink. Where then does tax revenue come from to finance the state? With no property taxes and sin taxes not coming in? One of the worst ideas coming from a politician in recent memory.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJAY
Here is the inherent flaw in his logic. So they repeal property taxes. Then, they tax things they intent to destroy. Let's say they are successful, and people no longer purchase violent games, unhealthy food & drink. Where then does tax revenue come from to finance the state? With no property taxes and sin taxes not coming in? One of the worst ideas coming from a politician in recent memory.

Well there are more tax proposals beyond what he just posted. The governor wants to add at least a dollar in taxes to each pack of cigarettes, and taxes on junk food and alcohol have been considered.

They're getting crazy. They forget that this is OUR money and not theirs, but they're acting like all money is theirs to take at will. Imagine paying 50% tax on your house or paycheck. That's what they think is OK to pay on other things. It's bad enough the state and feds take half of everything you ever worked for when you die (estate taxes).

I f'ing hate it when government acts like it's job is to just look for money to take from us, with the business of government coming in second. This crap with them looking for more taxes has dominated the state government for nearly the past two years to where nothing else is getting done now.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
littlewig

I thought Republicans, especially those from Texas, hate taxes?

Welcome to a new breed people, Republican in name only, not ideals or law.
littlewig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #8
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewig
I thought Republicans, especially those from Texas, hate taxes?

Welcome to a new breed people, Republican in name only, not ideals or law.

Republicans and democrats alike are acting psycho in Texas right now. All they want is more money from taxes, and are thinking of even the most BS of reasons to get it.

The problem is debt. The state, by state constitutional law, is not allowed to run debts at all (unlike the Feds). Now, because of things like costs brought on by illegal aliens (and we have a lot of them here), the usual bureaucratic waste of money, inflation, growth, and so on, they have more bills than the ability to pay them, which is probably the first time ever for Texas on a state level. They tried cut-backs for the past few years, but that didn't work, so now they just want to raid anything they think they can get money out of. They're even going to do toll roads here around San Antonio, and as an incentive to force people to use them, they're altering the stop lights in the nearby roads that aren't toll roads to make people wait long-ass periods of time in a red light.

Rick Perry is running for re-election next year. I plan to vote against that tax-happy ass-hole.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
littlewig

wow, I didn't know things could get that bad in a state.

Here in maryland, our only real concern is whether to allow state slot machines and the school conditions in Balitmore.
littlewig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:37 PM   #10
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Congress will NEVER pass this.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
flowForth
Programmer

The IGDA would never allow this tax to pass and pray to God that it doesn't, because if it does, it'll open up further ways to damage the games industry.

Just another example of politicians exploiting fears to further their political career. Just like Hitler.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #12
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

I thought Texas had balls? This is an all around bitch move.

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #13
Nindalf

Texans doesn't deserve to play games anyway.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 05:57 PM   #14
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior
I thought Texas had balls?
Well not big enough ones.

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #15
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

if i got land during world war 3- then i can call myself a free man,

like truly free, for 10 years at least.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote