The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-25-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Reko8

Counter Strike Source any good?

After making some money after selling a lot of stuff on eBay, I wanted to get this game. It was suggested by my friend. I just want a gamers opionion on the game from someone in the Magicbox Community because Im kinda iffy on this game. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:19 AM   #2
Alucard

Thats a tricky one as it comes down the kind of play style you like. I've liked it for years and play it fairly often. The first step into enjoying the game is finding good servers to join. One where theres no cheating and not populated with say xbox live identical community. The game goes through series of maps on a time limit. You choose one of two sides and play. Each time you kill someone or if your team wins a round you get money. You use the money to buy different weapons at the start of each round. Each weapon plays completely different, whether it be damage, rate of fire, acuracy, and amount of ammo. If you die, you wait till round is over then you all start again and keep going. Rounds are like 3min or something.

Its EXTREMELY technical and focuses heavily on group co-ordination. Which is important to find good servers to play on. If you're too impatient to wait for rounds to finish everytime you die, then you wont enjoy the game. I find it brilliant, but its bloody hard at times since you die SO quickly. Very realistic.

I'd have to ask what sort of system specs you have cause the game is a bit challenging on your PC. My previous 2100xp coupled with a 6800GT had issues in running it smoothly so I had to upgrade before playing it. Its because of all the character models running around. Gets laggy in furious moments. But my lovely 3500xp tossed that problem out the window! If you plan to are planning to by CS and your system can handle it, ie 2800xp and above with a decent video card, then you should be buying Half life 2 pack since CS comes with it.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:31 AM   #3
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Personally, I hate counter strike and think that Battlefield is a lot better. I have played both and I have found myself enjoying Battlefield a lot more.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
Vegetto
Alive

I love counterstrike so much...

wish I had it
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:55 AM   #5
ovejon

I use to play cs source religiously when it was in beta and in its first few months after its release with HL2. The game can be fun and infuriating as it depends a lot on the server you're in and it also depends on the people you?re playing with. If you play in a server with good and cooperative players, then the game is very fun. But if you encounter hackers/cheater or players who are uncooperative, you?ll be cursing at the screen and you?ll most likely avoid the game and say it sucks.

There is also the issue of computer spec. If your computer can?t handle it then it will hurt your performance and the playability of the game. I have a p4 2.8 GHz (Northwood) with 512 MB of ram and a 9800 radeon pro and I can get good frame rates (50 ? 60fps in 1024x768 resolution) in maps with 24 to 26 players. Anything more it becomes unplayable. If you have a good connection then I suggest you get the source premier pack directly from valve by using steam. You?ll get HL2, CS:S, DoD:S and some other goodies for a good price.
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:24 AM   #6
Reko8

I should've said I played the one for XBOX before and played on Live. I just absolutely loved the idea of buying weapons and everything. Sorry for making you type is out Alucard. And I have the 6200 GeForce card, 500mb RAM, and AMD Sempron 3000+, I think I'll run it fine, I looked at the system requirements and I have the reccommended.

EDIT: Thinking about that, I think we should have a system spec post on the PC discussion where you post your computers specs and take a pic of your PC and post it up. Think that should be a stickied type of idea.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:48 AM   #7
Alucard

Upgrade your card! And comparing the xbox version to the PC one is totally different. Mainly because of the game styles the people use. I mean you have people who run and then suddenly jump off ledges and do a quick 180 spin and kill a guy before they even land on the ground. Or running forward in a tight hallway and having two guys come at you, you manage to blow one of their heads off and the guy behind runs past you since his view is blocked by the guy infront and you both SNAP around quickly to kil each other.

Now if you were to take those examples and put them into the xbox....guy runs and jumps off ledge...guy lands after 30degree turn. Guy doesnt bother turning all the way cause he's either A) dead by then or B) doesnt even think of the possibility that someone is there because the game wont let you turn that fast. Its far less furious. CS is made for either camping or solid furious rush attacks. And without the turning speed, rush attacks are snorefests.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
Reko8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Upgrade your card! And comparing the xbox version to the PC one is totally different. Mainly because of the game styles the people use. I mean you have people who run and then suddenly jump off ledges and do a quick 180 spin and kill a guy before they even land on the ground. Or running forward in a tight hallway and having two guys come at you, you manage to blow one of their heads off and the guy behind runs past you since his view is blocked by the guy infront and you both SNAP around quickly to kil each other.

Now if you were to take those examples and put them into the xbox....guy runs and jumps off ledge...guy lands after 30degree turn. Guy doesnt bother turning all the way cause he's either A) dead by then or B) doesnt even think of the possibility that someone is there because the game wont let you turn that fast. Its far less furious. CS is made for either camping or solid furious rush attacks. And without the turning speed, rush attacks are snorefests.
So are you saying it is much more fast paced than the xbox version? And my friend said they had some maps from the XBOX version, if its true, do they have Miami? I love that map.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
ovejon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiko8
So are you saying it is much more fast paced than the xbox version? And my friend said they had some maps from the XBOX version, if its true, do they have Miami? I love that map.
The pace is much faster in pc than in xbox. You're going to witness players who can buy a full arsenal of weapons within seconds. Also the time you have to fire and kill your oponent when they have their crosshair on you is much shorter. About maps, I don't think miami is in source. I've never seen it nor played at it. Then again i'm always playing dust or dust2
Old 01-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I can't imagine playing CS with an Xbox controller. FPS were just not meant for consoles.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:44 PM   #11
Reko8

I bought CS:S, yay! What's everyones account name so I can add you to my friends list, I wont be playing right now, Ill be on more on the weekend, maybe Ill put in an hour tonight. My account is reko8
Old 01-26-2006, 08:33 PM   #12
Reko8

I finished all the updates and I launched the game, it came up with a screen with like 3 anti-terrorist guys in a shade and it said Loading in the bottom right corner. After this came up, my PC restarts!!! What's up with this? Anyone know?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:47 PM   #13
ovejon

There are many things that can cause your computer to restart. First thing that would come up to my head is ram. Only further testing can tell you what is exactly wrong with your pc.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:05 PM   #14
Alucard

I hope you bought the Half life 2 pack and not just CS: source on its own. And for the resetting....like said above, could be a number of problems. Give us your ram amount and also what video driver revision you have. Usually a reset means update your drivers.

I'd give you my screen name, but I only play on servers in Australia, so you'll never be able to witness my leet skillz unless you want a ping of 800
Old 01-27-2006, 07:05 AM   #15
Reko8

I only bought CS:S on its own because I don't have enough money for Half-Life 2. I have 512mb RAM and I don't know what a driver revision is.