The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-25-2006, 08:58 PM   #16
Seraph
>:3

How do you figure?

They almost have nothing to do with eachother other than they are both RPG's.

I want a MMORPG that plays like a suped up dynasty warriors. You could run around with a CONTROLLER, jump, slash and actually put play skill into it.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:49 PM   #17
Alucard

You dont want an mmorpg then. You want an action slash single player game. MMORPGs are made with one main thing in mind. To encourage group play. Thats why all the classes are made specifically to support each other. If you could run around and hack and slash then you couldnt do much else, ie click on a teammate to heal or buff them etc.

Also the bounty thing wouldnt work at all. If you wanted revenge then you'd have to be in a good large guild who would go out of their way to help you. My friend got PKed in that craptastic game Lineage2 and lost him super expensive armour. His guild went out looking for the guy, obliterated him about a dozen times till he stopped showing up anywhere. Imagine being picked on so much that you quit the game or start a new one? Some people deserve it, but then PKing would stop. And theres servers, for people like me, who prefer to just play the game and pvp isnt enabled. Sometimes though its fun.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 12:53 AM   #18
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
Dont take too much offence Mistatee, but thats gotta be the quote of the year
Now im curious... how does (aside from talents, and the ever apparent levels, and medievil setting, does WoW play like Diablo 2? D2 is point and click, WoW is key board control. WoW takes a long period of time to level, D2 is extremely casual friendly.
WoW is an MMO, D2 is online, using chat rooms to set up games.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:27 AM   #19
FoolishOne9k2
Don't Hax Me Mr. Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee
WoW is an MMO, D2 is online, using chat rooms to set up games.
um, answer me this. how is a town in just about any MMORPG differn't from a glorified chat room? d2 just took out the huge towns where everyone meets and put in huge chat rooms. this probably made the game a bit more friendly to casual players since it reduced loading times, lag, and the memorization of another town. you could easily find a group to play with by browsing the games or chatting in channels. towns just let you do that like a glorified chat room.
FoolishOne9k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:46 AM   #20
Alucard

If a person were to play D2/Guild wars and then play WoW/etc, they would see how blindingly different the two are.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:18 AM   #21
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
GW even copied the uninspired PvP of D2, which sadly, is also the main point of the game, and ultimately fails at it. It can also be compared to leveling times. A Hardcore D2 player can get 99 in 1-3 days, same with GW, while other MMOs are 1-3months or more.
you were going well but things derailed completely here...

So, first point... uninspired PvP? Do you care to explain? Cause i think theres no game with better PvP than GW.
PvP is the main point of the game? Since when? I dont play much PvP and im there everyday, so theres gotta be something wrong with that theory ;). Actually its a continuous debate of PvP and PvE players. PvP say that anet gives more care to PvE than PvP. PvE players say the opposite. Gaile Gray once responded to the question saying Anet cares equaly for PvP and PvE, so i dont know where you get those ideas. I play PvE and i think PvE is the biggest part of the game. PvP is there for the fun!

Correction... you dont get lvl 99 in GW, you get lvl 20 cause thats the current level cap. Its possible cause the game was designed not to discriminate new players from old players in PvP and so everyone gets a chance.

Quote:
Plus GW doesn't really have an internal community like an MMO. There is no real "uber person" And on quests people can disband when then want, becuase it has no negative impact on them, becuase you will never see them again.
Thats the most outrageous thing i ever heard! Care to go share that opinion over at the GW.com forums? Cause im sure theres no community there
You have guilds, how can there not be a community?!
"uber person"? im not sure what you mean...
About disbanding in quests its no different than in say FFXI, when someone is unhappy with the party performance or they have to go somewhere or eat or d/c or anything else they leave in any MMORPG. I dont know why you think this is any different in GW besides the fact the persons name doesnt disappear and becomes a grey bar instead
Leaving does have a negative impact though. The leaver wont get to finish the mission or quest, or wont get any more loot from the farm... id say thats usually a plus since you get more chances for loot than you had with one more party member...

Quote:
In short, GW is not an MMO
I dont see any difference from other MMORPG aside from the fact that the field is for your party only. I see that has a big plus since you wont have the random high level player rushing in to kill your prey and ending up with the loot... Im sorry but i heavily disagree on these opinions of yours.

Last edited by Nem; 01-26-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 07:40 AM   #22
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander
I have Guild Wars but still haven't gotten into it! If someone would play with me, I'd probably be willing to start up again.
Xander... hmm i can help you ;). I'm assuming you are on the american servers though, so we'd have to meet in the international districts. I can even get you in my guild, its filled with nice ppl ^^. I also dont know whats your hour fuse. Im on GMT and im usually on most of the time from 3-4pm to 2am. So, post here or pm me and well work a time out to meet

Hmm... id also encourage you to change to the european servers. I've been to the american servers and i can say i was very disappointed. I dont mean harm but the ppl there were very rude, annoying, and sweared alot. Now that i think about it, no wonder Mistatee thinks the way he does about leavers ^^'. I remember how it was doing a mission when i was there...i tryed like 5 times with a full team and ppl kept beeing rude and leaving so i finally decided to go back to europe and i finished the mission in my first try and with only 5 players and 3 henchies!!. You guys gotta ditch the american servers and embrace the much nicer european ones. I dont mean to criticize your country but its a fact the american players in GW have serious issues when trying to work together...

oops and sorry for the double post i only noticed Xanders post after i went back again to read the thread

Last edited by Nem; 01-26-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:56 AM   #23
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
Xander... hmm i can help you ;). I'm assuming you are on the american servers though, so we'd have to meet in the international districts. I can even get you in my guild, its filled with nice ppl ^^. I also dont know whats your hour fuse. Im on GMT and im usually on most of the time from 3-4pm to to 2am. So, post here or pm me and well work a time out to meet
I really can't play more than two hours a day. I'm writing a book and spend a lot of time with other stuff. I'll install tonight and give you my information, provided I can remember my password.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #24
Nem
Smash bro!

Sure, no problem. Im wondering if this time right now is good for you? Its still 2pm here, but if it suits you i can go online at this hour. I'm in a between semesters break so i have all day to play hehe
Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #25
Alucard

2 hours is plenty. People who spend 10hours on those games are just addicts.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #26
Nem
Smash bro!

Im an addict I admit it! Well... at least until lectures restart again

Last edited by Nem; 01-26-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #27
Seraph
>:3

Oh, my bad Mistatee, I thought you were saying that they were completly different. I over read where you said they play different.

In terms of the two games there are alot of similatires though. As I watched my freinds at school play it in class I kept saying "woah, just like in D2, thats cool".
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #28
Alucard

Well from what I remember, quite a few of the developers for GW were actually Diablo developers.

Also that avatar is brilliant, Nem.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #29
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

I believe A.net developers are the same people who did B.net, not sure if they did Diablo 2, im sure some of them did though, atleast the bnet part im sure of.

@Foolish One:
Difference between towns and chat rooms:

You must leave games (instances in the case of GW) in order to get to a chat room. There are multiple channels (districts) to chat in, so spam doesn't build up too fast, and to just plain limit the chaos involved in trying to get a mission set-up.

Towns are connected to the world in an MMO. That may seem like what GW has, but if everyone left from the same exit in a town, in a game such as WoW all would then be in the same zone right out side of town. In GW they are all in different instances, unless grouped. IE they joined a different "game", as you would in a chat room. Likewise goes for entering a town at the same entrance.

@Nem:

Community-
If you leave a group halfway in FFXI, or most MMOs for that matter, you begin to gain a bad reputation, and with that it becomes harder to get group. In GW, for what I have seen atleast, it didn't matter, and ontop fo that, you can't recruit new members, since the instance is what you are in. Instead you must "join a new game" and start over. Likewise I'd also liketo take this good oppurtunity to saw, if one person zones, and the whole place gets reset=> GAY.

Uninspired PVP-
FIrst of all, point-and-click PvP is horrible. Second, it in no way matches PvP on say a FFA server in an MMO when an enemy can come from anywhere. Third, PvP feels 100% the same as fighting Mobs, just you switch up some of your abilities to be more eefective. Adrenline did not ever flow through my vains when playing PvP in GW.

Levels-
When i said "99 in D2 in 1-3 days, same as GW" I ment you could get to the cap in GW in 1-3 days easy. Sorry that wasn't clear. Not to say all MMOs should be long grueling experiences, but there are always content problems that occur when an MMO is short, and from my knowledge, PvP is there to fill the whole once the whole campaign is done. That just might be my take on it though.

MMO Feel-
MMOs are usually 100% about grouping. You group to escape "the high level guy trying to take loot" You group even larger people to kill the "bos with the phatest loot." Thats just the overall layout of an MMO at this period in time. Now I wouldn't mind playing anything that escapes this mold (like Planetside, if that wasn't ****) which it seems like GW was trying to do, but its not really an MMO, from what I have sad above and below, and ontop of that I really don't care for the game, at all. Also in GW, your actions really have such a minimal impact on the overall game, that it realy looses value when called an MMO. In WoW, atm, people are collecting war supplies across the server to open a gate to a new dungeon. The whole server is working together, as it is a race between servers. Thats a community, and the working together is an example of the MMO feel that isn't present, mainly from the lack of servers, in GW.

Ill end this...for now
Old 01-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #30
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
Sure, no problem. Im wondering if this time right now is good for you? Its still 2pm here, but if it suits you i can go online at this hour. I'm in a between semesters break so i have all day to play hehe
Actually I was in the school library "studying" for a Latin exam. I can't play tonight because I'm accompanying my father to an award ceremony. I'm quite proud. He's won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction writing. I will install tonight and PM my chracter's info to you later.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote