The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-31-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
Seraph
>:3

No more wasted DVD's PLS

I feel really bad using this as almost my tech-help forum alot, but i try only to start threads when im at my wits end.

So I want to format my computer. Its just too full of junk ive tried out and it would take less time to wipe clean than to manually clean.

Right now i have about 140 GB of anime/music to back up. I have a DVD burner that has served me fine for a long time. Ive burned several DVDs on it without flaw. But when i went to backup all my stuff this time (using a copy of Nero6 like always), the burn process failed.

So to troubleshoot, i poped in my DVDRW and tried burning agian with some different settings (like no multisession) and it was fine. So I pop in a normal DVDR agian and burn on the exact same settings and it fails.

When it fails the read-buffer level stays at a constant 99% and the process goes very slow.

Ive burned DVDs off this very same spindle before no problem, so i really dont think im using a bad batch.

Im willing to download and or post any diagnostic tools/info you guy need to help me. Ive already wasted a few dollars worth of DVD's so any help i can get would be great ^__^
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
RYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
But when i went to backup all my stuff this time (using a copy of Nero6 like always), the burn process failed.
why failed when use nero 6 "you can capture what happen to you on Nero"???and you must try DVD-RW not to lost any DVD.

Last edited by RYU; 12-31-2005 at 09:54 AM.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:56 AM   #3
Seraph

Well, i could pop in another DVDR and let if fail so i can post the error report (i actually never thought about that)

I cant do it with an RW because it wont fail.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
Alucard

Whats your burner model and how old is it? I COULD say it sounds like age caught up to it, but I dont really want to yet.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
ok if you have that much that you want to put on dvds, I recommend this

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...1&catid=23795#

I got mine for the same purpose for formatting my computer and I use it all the time to keep my PC clean of files except for when I install something and you can take it anywheres, I take mine to my friend's house whenever I need to give him huge files.

but I don't have this model, I have a 160gb from the same company, its very great, I love it.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:01 PM   #6
Seraph

Thanks but no thanks spider, hard drives crash. DVD's will sit in my binder and last a hell of alot longer, and once i burn this 140GB off I will have over 1TB of anime and game music in storage. A hardrive is a small solution.

The brand is Micro Advantage. Im not sure why i can burn RW's but not normal R's.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yeah, why are you buying RWs? DVD-Rs are the better way to go, or if you can, buy Dual Layer DVDs
Old 01-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #8
Alucard

I've never heard of that brand. But if yo're burning 160gigs of anime, chances are alot of that most likely isnt worth owning. Look at it again and say to yourself...which of you lot would I watch more then twice? Then you'll know what to backup.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #9
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

Nero is a pain in the ass for me. Try DVD Santa. It's much easier, and the fail/bad disc rate is much lower.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime
yeah, why are you buying RWs? DVD-Rs are the better way to go, or if you can, buy Dual Layer DVDs
I bought one DVDRW for testing purposes. I use normal DVDR's like everyone else.

And Alucard, its not about weither its good or not. To me its a collection, ive been sucked into a collectors mentality. Its not more or less the quality of the shows, its the size of the collection

can you link me to that DVD Santa software
Old 01-02-2006, 12:28 AM   #11
Alucard

If Nero is screwing with you then you should try a different version of it. But if it worked fine oneday and the next it didnt, I dont know if it would be the programs fault. And honestly, you'd be better off waiting for dvdrips of some shows you want to collect. In the end collecting is a waste of money when it comes to anime. I have a friend who downloads absolutely every single anime title off the net watches maybe 1 series out of 10, and stores everything. total waste of time and money if you ask me.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:48 AM   #12
Seraph

But that one day that you run into a noob anime fan and can show off your collection to them, makes my day ten fold. The "holy crap you have alot"s are totally worth it. And besided, my little brother has watched every minute of every anime I have ^_^

Im going to try and find that software and see if Nero is the problem, maybe it got corrupted. If not, do you suggest buying a new burner?

i still dont understand why i can burn an RW without a hitch, but an R screws up bad.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:15 AM   #13
Alucard

Its kind of strange yeah. I'd recommend grabbing a different version of nero, an older one or a newer one or something. How old is your burner anyway?
Old 01-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #14
Seraph

Its about a year and a half?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #15
spider-prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
I bought one DVDRW for testing purposes. I use normal DVDR's like everyone else.

And Alucard, its not about weither its good or not. To me its a collection, ive been sucked into a collectors mentality. Its not more or less the quality of the shows, its the size of the collection

can you link me to that DVD Santa software

I used to be like that with anime, then I deemed it a waste of time and money. Has most animes do suck completely.

I just get my favorites now.

and I sold tons of my animes, I always bought my offical dvds, either it be region 1 DVDs or buying them from Japan.