The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 12-21-2005, 07:19 AM   #1
Alucard

Misc high-end video card benchmarks

Its christmas time and some of you are pondeing upgrading now or a little later. So heres a collection of some of the most powerful cards out there from both ATI and nVidia so you can decide what best suits you *nvidia*.

Anyway, this ones going to be all over the place. Generally when you see a benchmark, the reviewers are using anything between 3.4gig cpu to a 4gig. Generally they love the 3.5 range. But just go to the sites in the links if you're interested. There are 2 different sites down here so you can compare each others findings.

Doom 3 high quality-

Here is FarCry, a brilliant game with a brilliant engine.

And now for Call of Duty 2. This ones a little different. Once again its at full quality, but this is being tested on a multipayer map. I'm also not sure if they're using the unoptimised drivers for this test, but the 6800GT seems far weaker then it should be with this game.

One thing you have to keep in mind. Theres ALOT of different graphic options you can switch on or off. For example, shadows are a HUGE RESOURCE WHORE when it comes to games. Theres also different layers of shadow you can select. But if you were to turn shadows off, you'd get anything between a 1-20fps boost. Alot of people usually just turn this option off, or leave it set to simple shadows.

For the test rig for the above, the details were-

Video Drivers
ATI 5.12 with CCC
Forceware 81.94

Processor- AMD Athlon 64 3700+

Motherboard- DFI NF4 Ultra-D

Memory- 2GB Crucial PC-4000

The 3700+ is quite nice. However all those cards arent being pushed to their limit yet. They can improve their performance all the way to AT LEAST 4.2gig and beyond. I cant really test much myself but thats pretty much the norm. Heres the link to the site

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/271/1/
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 07:19 AM   #2
Alucard

And now for the second place. They show the same cards and a few others.

Doom 3!

Half life 2!

Farcry!

Call of duty 2!

F.E.A.R.

And heres one some of you wish to always know about... Battlefield 2!!

Test system for the above

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR
Memory: 2x 512MB OCZ PC3200 EL CL 2 3-2-5

Website

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/6800gs/1

So now with all that done, I'll give some more little tidbits of info. Generally running anything above 1024x700 you wont really want aliasing. I play most of my games at that res and the edges are pretty sharp. Especially if you're used to consoles. So usually its best to keep aliasing off as a standard, because I'd much rather prefer the huge performance boost I get then smoothing out the VERY SLIGHT jaggies on edges you wont really notice too much. Especially at 1200x1000 res. I'm not being exact with the resolution numbers. I forget the numbers but I'm fairly close enough and I expect you lot to understand what I'm on about! Now! As far as prices go, heres some generic ones from http://www.pricewatch.com/

6800GS- $200 (roughly)
6800GT- $259
7800GT- $300
7800GTX- $450

X800XL- $231
X850XT-$380
X1800XL- $370
X1800XT-$ 499 (roughly)

So, all the cards above are 256mb versions, dont even go near the 128mb cards or I will teleport to your house and flog you. These are also PCI-Express, the new format. AGP is slightly more expensive, and if you're upgrading then chances are your system is old and you will most likely need a new board anyway, and pci-e is the better way to go since its the standard now. AGP will still be made for a long time to come though.

You probably notice by now that the nvidia cards seem to have the edge on most games. Also you'll notice I keep putting up a select few games. This isnt just because they are popular, but because their game engines are usually the most used with other devs to create new games (doom3 HL2 at least), so if you know how they run, chances are you will get similar results from other games.

If you're hard up for money and doubt you'll ever be able to afford anything for like a year, then the 6800GS is a very smart purchase. I'm not sure exactly how its so cheap yet pretty powerful at the same time, but it definately does the job. If you DO have that little extra money to toss around, dont be shy about saving up for a little for a 7800GT. Card will last you a good 3 years easy. Lord knows I'm near the end of the second year with my 6800GT and its flowing along brilliantly. If I were to boost my 3500cpu to a 4.2gig, I think this card could possibly last me another 2 years. But thats guess work.

So there we have it. Should be enough info. Enjoy!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
I will teleport to your house and flog you.
What does that even mean?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
Alucard

oh, flog is something we say in Australia. Basically means beat you to an inch of your life.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 AM   #5
Nindalf

I've watched Flog It on BBC. It's an auction program. Old cunts sell their belongings for a few nickles.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #6
Seraph

how come you dont use "mate" when you talk alucard?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #7
Nindalf

Because he's not really an Australian.

He just wants to be one.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:26 PM   #8
Decado

Does anyone use "AA" anymore? I thought once you got to higher resolutions it made "AA" pretty pointless.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
Seraph

I use it. Personally i cant stand jaggies it makes everything look very fake. id rather loose sharpness and clarity by lowering my resolution in order to have the max AA there is.

For instance, FF10 on the PS2 was a dang beautiful game when it came out, but whenever i looked at a character, the jaggies, especially around their eyes, was a total turn off.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #10
Alucard

I have a few friends who refuse to use anything below 4x AA. I dont bother. I mean theres VERY SLIGHT jaggies along the edges of stuff. By very slight I mean you'll notice it on something...say a wire. As for doors and edges of walls etc, you wont. But it IS impressive to see a line with absolutely NO jaggies on it period. It kinda looks freaky. But I'd rather take the performance boost any day and put if a very FAINT amount of jaggies.

I use 'mate' now and then. Problem is I try my hardest not to use slang on here since majority of you lot are american. Some do creep out. You might see me using 'mate' when I'm getting VERY annoyed with someone. We use the word in a friendly manner, but when we use it directed towards someone we arent really getting along with, and we generally start the sentance off with it, it usually means STFU and listen to me before I brain you.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #11
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

I have an X800GT and it works very well (especially for the price).
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:29 PM   #12
Alucard

Its a great card. Alot like the 6800GT.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:55 PM   #13
Seraph

I just dont like those jaggies, especially on thin things like you said. When i played the fear demo, and saw some of the railings i immediatly lowered my res and turned AA on.

I think you should use mate more often, i love aulstrailian accents.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:18 AM   #14
Alucard

seraphs hitting on me....

I'd rather higher res then AA. It makes everything look far sharper and nicer, and the little aliasing isnt that bad. To fair you'd get more performance boosting it to 1280x1040, then going 800x600 with AA, and get better quality. Even aliasing would be harder to see.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:43 AM   #15
Vegetto
Alive

back off seraph hes mine!
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote