The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 10-04-2002, 11:13 AM   #1
DBJAY

Quantum Redshift.....

Not bad. I am not blown away by the game. Part of the problem is that I don't think the futuristic racer is really evolving, so there is a distinct feel of the "been there, done that" to this style of game. Controls are not flawless, takes a bit of getting used to. Graphics are good, sound is great, absurd story surrounds the events, the design of the racers is not my cup of tea, so this is definately a 7 day BB rental.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 01:21 PM   #2
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

I bought Quantum Redshift a few days ago. Bought it because Dave Halverson from Play Magazine gave QR a good score and put it up there with the Xbox elite, with games such as Halo, DOA3, PGR, JSRF and Gunvalkyrie. Going back to the early 90's, if Dave says buy a game, I have never been disappointed.

QR could have been perfect with a few tweaks here and there, but it is still a solid Whipeout/F-Zero type game. One thing that is unique to the genre, is how wide open the tracks are. The graphics are also the best in the genre to date. The techno sountrack is also good.

DBJay, as for your coment about the control. I think they were going more for a SUPER high speed hovercraft type control. Where you turn off a pivot point and then hit the accelerator after you make your turn in the curves. More like a hovercraft and less like a car. I think it works well, once you start to take the sharp turns with that in mind.

The story could have been done SO much better. Did you have a feeling that it all just seems cut and paste and didn't flow with the game? I did. They should have hired a script writer(or a better one) to improve the dialog between the nemesis characters. It all just seemes so awkward and robotic.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 04:18 PM   #3
DBJAY

The story was exceptionally poorly done, almost amatuerish. If there is a sequel, they should place it into a more coherent universe, like an action rpg based on hover racing.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 04:38 PM   #4
MaJiN-ChRiS

I don't really like the look of this game.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:17 PM   #5
aneep

heh i hear ppl said the sountrack blows for this game

most ppl i know (in another forum) rip Wipeout XL sountrack and plays that instead

other than that and the story, looking good so far

-aneep-
aneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 08:06 PM   #6
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

The title track by Junkie XL is great(the whole intro is kick ass too, gets me pumped up to play). The in-game music...good, nothing spetacular, typical techno type music. Speaking of ripping music onto the Xbox hard drive......a little Atari Teenage Riot might go good with QR.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 10:56 PM   #7
mxgame

I almost bought that game today. I am still waiting for something to top Wipeout XL as best futuristic racer ever. I do own a PS2 as well and heard Wipeout Fusion was a little dissappointing . I'll probably plunk down for both when the price drops.