The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #46
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Hence why I say the story is awesome.
The world alone warrants the score, but you have intricate character interaction and hidden motives thrown in there!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:26 AM   #47
Northeastmonk

I would absolutly love it. Could you please review a couple games that I myself have question time and time again if they are worth the status I have onced praised on them. Vandal Hearts, Star Ocean (I'd love to see your rating system), and the very innovative Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. I need more emphasis on these titles because I ask the Gaming God's for patience and I never receive any. lol. I have faith you'd understand.
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:05 AM   #48
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Going to be tough for me to do that.
Havent played Nightmare Creatures 3, and beat Vandal Hearts and Star Ocean 2 years ago. Kindof tough to review things from years past and be accurate.

I can tell you this much however. Vandal Hearts would probably score slightly above Enchanted Arms, and Star Ocean 2 slightly above FFXII.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:15 AM   #49
B.B. Gambini
Banned

great point system
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:31 AM   #50
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Persona 3

It beat this RPG about a month ago, but I really let this one sink in before I could do a review of it. If you have played any of the SMT series, you should already know what to expect in this review.

The story:
Person 3 isn't the most story driven game out there. Much like Valkyrie Profile, the story doesn't even begin to really take shape until the half way point of the game. Unlike Valkyrie profile however, the story isn't amazingly deep, and the halfway point of this game is near the same length as Valkyrie Profile in general. That being said, it was still pretty enjoyable, though long winded in this regard. The ending sequence however is nothing short of mind-numbingly retarded. If you are going to forget all your friends, I highly doubt you would make a pact to meet after graduation. Somehow it didn't dawn on them to leave themselves a fucking note...

Persona 3 isn't the most story driven RPG out there, but what it has is deep enough to explain whats going on in the game, and keep you happy through most of it. Thusly, I fell it deserves a 72 x 40%.

The Characters:
The Characters of Persona 3 really give the game its flavor. Since its technically half dating sim, it fits the game for all the characters to have their own radical personalities. Junpei is one of the more realistic characters in an RPG, while Aegis is literally a robot. Aside from the typical dating development, there exists character development in all the main characters. Back stories were lightly fleshed out, but was seriously all that was needed in that department.

Easily the best aspect of this game. Characters are fun and interesting, and pull you into a mess of trouble sometimes. Plus they were all WELL voice acted, which is pretty surprising. 90 x 30% should suffice

The Gameplay:
It would seem from a design standpoint that Persona 3 should fail miserably. The only dungeon in the game is a tower with 200+ RANDOMLY generated floors. You can only control the main character during combat, and you spend more than half your play time in Dating Sim land. Somehow this actually came off as a feasible game though.

Ill start with the Dating first. I have a lot of mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I was really interested in seeing what would happen on every date. On the other hand, the game was retarded easy. Not once did I give a girl the right present (ok maybe not retarded easy) but they still gave themselves to me without much challenge SLUTS The dating system essentially turned out to be keep going out with them and you will eventually win their virginity...unless they were guys, then you'd just get weird presents. From a dating sim stand point (though I haven't played any >.>) this was ultimately lame. You dont decide where to date, and aren't penalized for acting like a complete douche. I threw most of the good aspects of this system into the character score.

Now to the dungeon crawl...
Exploring the tower was pretty enjoyable. Random floors weren't a bad idea somehow, and the addition of the "attack first" on all the enemies on the floor kept things from getting too stale. There were also plenty of different items scattered everywhere to make exploring worth while.

The combat however is a mixed bag. Its based around hitting people with what they are weak against. Do this, and you get to attack again. Unlimited amount of times. This was pretty cool, especially with the ability to choose which monster to use. However, when control shifted over to the AI people all hell would break loose. They dont grasp the idea of exploiting weaknesses to well. And when they do, they decide it is necessary to waste extra amounts of mana to do so. But what is worse is when you are say poisoned, and anyone with healing magic will continually heal you, instead of attacking. Also, they randomly use items (which are useless) instead of healing you to full, even though they have 1/2 mana still...
Bosses are also either WAY too easy, or just incredibly gay. And AoE insta-death spells are still retarded SMT...

Now onto Monsters (Yeah this game has a lot going on)
You can craft monsters by combining others...COOL! And what monsters you have open to you is based directly off of dating...COOL! And you can choose what abilities they get... wait they are chosen randomly? And you have to keep selecting all the monsters (up to 5 in the end) to get a new spread of spells? For sometimes thirty plus minutes? Luckily this usually took only a few tries, but it was still incredibly annoying a lot of the time. And like all SMT games, when monsters level up, they can suddenly get the urge to change their best skill into something useless, so you better bitch-slap them anytime they try that.

And Finally Quests
Ill keep this short. 90% of them were retarded. The rewards you get for doing them were too meager. This really needed help.

Persona 3 had a mixed bag of gameplay, but it seemed like it would have been a lot worse. 68 x 30%

Overall Score: 72 x .4 + 90 x .3 + 68 x .3 = 76.2

Bonus Comments:

Epic Style throughout this game. Seriously, it was pretty amazing art direction. The soundtrack was equally as funky. +3 points

FINAL SCORE 79.2 (10 out of 12)

Last edited by Mistatee; 01-11-2008 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Update
Mistatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:49 PM   #51
artraider

I thought the story was pretty much the best story I have seen in a rpg for a long time it made me reflect on my own life and how I live it and made me want to enjoy each individual day that much more. I disagree with your comment on the ending but dont want to spoil things for peoples. As far as the dating goes yes you can be penalized for being a complete jerk but overall it has to be right next to etrian odyssey my fave rpg of the year.
artraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:51 PM   #52
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

I'm glad the story really affected you, thats pretty cool.

For me, however, it seemed like the story was kind of thrown in there after a lot of the game was done. Could just be my personal opinion, but heh thats what makes it my review.

Some of the best story moments came with Chidori and Junpei, but a found the end of that "arc" to be sort of, well, cliche. Also to note, I called the dorm manager to be evil from the start....

Dunno why I left those tidbits out of the story review....
Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 AM   #53
Northeastmonk

What did you think of Legend of Dragoon?
Northeastmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:25 PM   #54
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

I only rented that game, got through the first disc.
Pretty much coined it as mediocre, but I've also heard the game is really slow, which means that it could have gotten better...

Im about to review Ys VI, probably in about 2 hours.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:11 PM   #55
Kiryu1985
Communist

Legend of Dragoon had a neat battle system, but.... the damage each person makes is not determined by stats, what I mean if you fight against a worm, you will always hit it for 12 damage, every round, every battle, thats the only thing that I didn't like, it made fighting boring, the game probably gets better, I didn't make it far.

later in the game I hear you have to change disks each time you want to travel to different places.... I hope its not like Riven or Myst, where you had to change disks every 4 minutes.

馬鹿は死ななきゃ直らない。
Kiryu1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:49 AM   #56
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiryu1985
Legend of Dragoon had a neat battle system, but.... the damage each person makes is not determined by stats, what I mean if you fight against a worm, you will always hit it for 12 damage, every round, every battle, thats the only thing that I didn't like, it made fighting boring, the game probably gets better, I didn't make it far.

later in the game I hear you have to change disks each time you want to travel to different places.... I hope its not like Riven or Myst, where you had to change disks every 4 minutes.
I dont remember changing discs often at all, so im betting that isnt true. Game was OK, but nothing insane.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #57
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

YS VI: Ark of Naphestim (Ps2)

So this is the sixth Ys (pronounced eece) game. I haven't played any of them, and rarely heard of them to boot. So why did I buy this game? Probably had to do with it being cheap and some anime people on front of it. But it was worth it.

Story:
The games story definetly wasn't the high point, but that doesn't mean it was horrible. Infact, it had all the makings of a great (or at least decent) story, but just wasn't the game's focus, due to obvious gameplay reasons.

Heres a synopsis:

Man gets knocked off a ship.
Gets picked up by random anime fox people.
Awakes to find himself on an island surrounded by impassable current.
Finds out that the island holds an ancient device of the gods.
Finds the device.
Greedy people activate it.
A whole bunch of backstory.
Hero stops the device, saves the world.

Pretty classic, but presented pretty well, and not overly focused on.

Since it was never a burden, had few loopholes, and was pretty well developed, I feel Ys VI deserves an 80 x 40% for story.

Character:
Ys VI is one of those silent protagonist games, which is probably a good thing seeing as Ys VI might sport the worst voice acting ever. This isn't an understatement, and to make matters worse, every single village idiot is voice acted. Some people are voiced so bad (like Terra, the girl on the boat in the beginning) i experienced some minor chestpain during story sequences.

All Voice acting aside, I usually dislike silent characters, but Ys VI managed to make me laugh a few times during its dialog (again voice acting aside). Infact the characterization on some people were excellent, but the majority of the humans and humanoids in this game are very stereotypical, which negates the few enjoyable characters.

Still, like the story, the characters never seem to get in the way of the gameplay, and manage to keep things somewhat engaging, bringing it around a 76 x 20%.

Gameplay:
Ys VI is what 3D Zeldas should be. There I said it. And I specifically bring up Zelda, because it is that same top-down view we all grew to love on the NES and SNES. Well except certain scenes that tastefully change the view to a side-scroll esque view, which still manages to keep the gameplay 100% intact.

So what you do in Ys is essentially hit stuff with a sword. You have a 3 (to about 8) swing combo to do this with. But you also have a jump (which given the view is a lot like Diablo 2's jump with the barbarian) which gives you another set of attacks, a rising swing and a falling stab. You also have a button to map an item type to. Ontop of this, you get 3 different swords, all with different speeds, and each having a special attack to unleash. Then throw in enemies that can only be damaged by one of those swords and you have combat in a nutshell.

To keep this short, combat is fun, infact its a blast. Collecting gems, and grinding exp feels even better than Diablo 2 at times, which is a huge compliment from me. Exploring dungeons for items, as the game sports a decent amount of customization, only improves the experience. Then you have the bosses. These were awesome. I played on the Hard difficulty, which is what kept the game so engaging. While normal enemies weren't ridiculous on this difficulty, the bosses were crazy hard. And since each one was amazingly unique, this keep the game at a near addictive level.

The game also sported a decent amount of quests. However the rewards for these felt really unbalanced. And unbalanced in a bad way, as they were nearly useless...

As for level design, the dungeons were also pretty unique. Some sported open areas, others a lot of platforming. The one thing that made a lot of them semi-alike was the repetition of enemies, which every RPG sees.

So in general, the Gameplay felt really tight, the levels fairly good, the bosses amazing, and the customization pretty strong. Therefore I present Ys VI with a 90 x 30% for gameplay.

Overall score of:
80 x .4 + 76 x .2 + 90 x .3 = 74.2

Bonus Comments:
The soundtrack was far superior to the voice acting. In fact it was one of the better soundtracks I have heard for a Ps2 game. + 2 points.

Final Score: 76.2 (11 out of 12)

Last edited by Mistatee; 01-11-2008 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Update
Mistatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #58
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Review #2: Blue Dragon (XBOX360)

Story:
Wow...
This was supposed to be bad. Infact, a lot of people ragged on it for being shallow. And for the most part it was. But they managed to tie in a ton of back story, and really interesting backstory at that, and tied everything together by the end of the game.
Wow...
Im actually lost for words at that point. I mean aside from backstory there really wasn't much to talk about. The rest of the story was pretty ridiculous, to the extent that I really couldn't guess what would happen next, and generally stayed curious about it. Again I state that this wasn't due to it being deep, but completely random, which I guess may prove to be an effective tactic, atleast if done right.

Anyways, how about a 84 x 40% for keeping me interested.

Character:
Another confusing aspect of this game. I hate Naruto. I hate One Piece. And guess who the main character reminds me of in this game? Both of those shows main characters. They are annoying, and they try way too hard. And guess what? Somehow I didn't hate this guy. I mean sure he wasn't the best character ever, and there was an annoying dog thing named Marumaro next to him making him look good, but overall I guess he just fit the ridiculous story too well to hate.
As for the rest of the characters, they seemed to fall into this same void, except for Marumaro who can be likened to Jar Jar Binks in a way.But atleast the voice acting was good, and fit the characters well.

Overall, this area could have been improved, but seemed to fit the random story well enough. 78 x 15.

Gameplay:

There was a ton of things to do in this game, and rightfully so as the game clocked in at 65 hours.

Collection:
There were so many things to collect in this game. From books hidden in all bookshelves that told a continuous story (which you had to remember since they were never logged...), to medals to buy items, to hundreds of treasure chests in dungeons, to hundreds of chests behind barriers you cant unlock until later, to pressing A in front of every object in the game for a chance to find something.

That last part, well, was pretty gay. Most of what you found was worthless, but sometimes there was that random experience or class experience that made searching every other item worth while again. Since there was never a required item hidden there, I guess it was all optional, and therefore isn't really worth complaining about.

Combat:
Combat would be like most JRPGs, except that you can charge how long you want to take with most actions. This actually made the gameplay require more strategy, which in turn required more thinking, which makes the game better. Like Ys VI, I also played this game on hard. And again like Ys VI, this made the bosses rough, which kept the game from being a bore. Hard difficulty had me switching out accessories to make me resist damage from some attacks allowing me to survive. This sort of gameplay, combined with checkpoints infront of bosses to promote guess and check made things fun for me. However, once I started killing things near instantly (like in most RPGs) the load times to get into battle started to get the better of me. Luckilly they invented a skill that makes you resolve battles without even entering combat. GENIUS!

Field:
The world Map in this game is huge, and guess what? It has chests scattered all over it. SUPRISE! Once you finally get an airship, you can fly around the world like Valkyrie Profile and land anywhere which is pretty cool.

As far as what you can do on the field, there are plenty abilities at your disposal. Standardly, you can hit the right trigger to pause the game and display a ring around the player. Any monsters in this ring can be fought all at once. Sometimes these monsters hate each other and fight amongst themselves instead of against you. Other times you just fight one party at a time, getting buffs in between and setting up attacks for the next party before they spawn. This was pretty sweet. Also on the field, you can use abilities, like making everyone flee, or stunning the enemy. These allowed you to get back or first attacks (using the attack button) making your job easier and quicker. Again, really engaging.

All of these elements somehow combined very well, to make a really good game.

SO like most of my recent reviews, this is where the game triumphed. With the best customization I have scene in recent years, engaging combat, engaging field gameplay (Monster fights, multiple fights), and mini-games scattered perfectly across the board, this game was plain fun. 96 x 35

Overall score:
84 x .4 + 78 x .15 + 96 x .35 = 78.9

Bonus Comments
Again like Ys VI, the soundtrack was amazing. + 2 pts
The achievements for this game were rough. You know, actually feeling like achievements. + 1 pt.
The flying mini-game somehow plays better than Project Sylpheed, a full fledged game. + 1pt.

Final Score: 82 (8 out of 12)
Old 01-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #59
Reko8
meow

Hey nice review of Blue Dragon Mistatee. That is actually one of my next reviewed games in my 360 thread. I'm playing through it right now because I was holding it off till I beat enchanted arms. It's an awesome game and yeah, the story isn't bad at all. I can't predict anything that's going to happen next. For the characters, I feel the same way. Before I played the game, I hated the look of a few characters, but they're actually not too bad. Awesome Mistatee

Last Completed:
Resident Evil 5
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #60
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Are you playing on normal or hard?
Most people I know are (or have) playing on normal and complain that the game is too easy.