The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Mistatee's Pitydafool Reviews

Ok, i have decided to be a part of the crowd and start a review thread like everyone else. But mine will be entirely devoted to old games. What I define as old is Psx/Sat/N64 and older. So i guess its not really old, but who gives a damn, close enough.

My rating system is weird though. For it to work I have to write the scaling guide for two genres of games: RPGs, and Not RPGs.

RPGs with their focus on character and story actually get scores for character and story. Their scores will be determined as follows:

Story : 100pts x40%-60% or 40-60pts for non-math wizards
Characters 100pts x15%-30% or 15-30 pts
Gameplay 100pts x20%-35% or 20-35 pts
Bonus tilt any number added to score for innovation/cinematics/music etc.

Non-Rpgs are rated differently:
Infact, its basically random.. Though i wont review too many. Though i will touch on areas such as Gameplay and Bonus and Sound and Replay.

Then after reviews i will list reviews for similar titles, time to beat, difficulty level, and if it is better then Super Mario 64. In case you don't know, if the game is in any form good, then too me its better then SM64, and thus recommended to give it a shot.

Games I will be reviewing sometime in the near future:

Lunar:Silver Star Story Complete (Psx)
Lunar:Eternal Blue (Psx)
Valkyrie Profile (Psx)
Silhouette Mirage (Psx)
Grandia (Psx)
Panzer Dragoon (Sat)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (Sat)
Radiant Silvergun (Sat/I guess i have too, though i dont have a copy yet...)
Dragon Force (Sat)
General Chaos (Gen)
Mic and Mac's Global Gladiators (Gen)
The 7th Saga (SNES)
Lufia II (SNES)

Short list for now, expect a detailed review once a week, starting probably tonight around midnight.

And before you ask, heres why i hate SM64:
3-d platformers suck, SM64 spawned the whole breed of them
Gameplay while innovative, felt extremely repetitive, and in a lot of areas uninspired
Bossfights were lame, though i guess SM never really had good boss fights.
Collecting multiple items i was never fond of. Coins in stages as points worked fine, as a requirement, worked poorly. Best star collection was in SM:GB2 Legend of the 8 stars.

And another questioned answered: No i dont care about graphics in my game unless i cant tell whats going on (ET). Therefor all points gained from "good" graphics or lost by "bad" graphics is handled in the Bonus section.

Last edited by Mistatee; 12-09-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Mistatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 04:22 PM   #2
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Ok finally got around to writing my reviews.

And what a Suprise! The first one will be LUNAR: Silver Star Story Complete.

Normally originals of games are better to review then re-makes, but Lunar for the ps1 actually improves in many ways over the Sega CD version. Instead of focusing on graphics (becuase Game-Arts/Working Designs aren't whores) they updated the soundtrack (which was brilliant to begin with) added a new form of dodging battles (and thus eliminated the randomness) and updated the cinematics (which where an integral part of portraying the story on the Sega CD).

First I will touch upon story:
Most people will call the story "cliche". These people are dumbasses who think Lunar originated on the Ps1, and thus every square game before it did what was done in Lunar. WRONG! The flying city in CT...Lunar didit first. Anyways my take on the story is shear brilliance. The way it flows through the game, and ultimately through Lunar 2 as well is genious. There are books scattered throughout the two games that hint towards the back story which basically goes as follows.

Machines were created in the past on the planet earth. Among them a beast emerged named Zophar. Althena, 4 dragons, and a dragon master battled back their forces and eventually conquered Zophar and hes aprentice Amalak. (By Quark himself) They were imprisoned inside the earth, but the power nearly destroyed the planet nad made it inhabitable. Althena used her power to transport all the remaining earthlings onto the moon and made it habitable. Later on Lunar, a tribe known simply as the vile tribe was banished to the portion of Lunar that hasnt yet become fully habitable. Thoousands of years pass and Amalak is freed by Zophar's growing power and attacks Lunar. 4 Heroes (What they are acalled in Lunar 1) defeat him

Ontop of that the voice and writing that goes into the game itself is brilliant. THe twist in the middle was classic (Though later proven to me by my roomate who talks to everyone, everywhere twice, alittle predictable) Basically I am only able to find subtle flaws in the overall mythology of the game, and the story kept me inclined the whole way through, all 5 times I have beaten it.

My one problem wth the story is this:
How did Ghaleon defeat Quark when Quark is a tetrark?? It should have been atleast a challenge
Over all the story gets 97 points (for being best story in an RPG ever) and is multiplied by %55 becuase it is an incredibly large portion of the game.

Characters:
All the characters are basiaclly standard. You have the silent hero, the vain hero (who is from vane...) the meager and modest hero, the mother figure, the brawny and barbaric hero, and the loud mouth hero. But their personality and especially their relationship with the other character is top notch. Bonus points are handed out to Ramus who in the end sells you stuff before the final fight FOR FREE!!!!!!!! Genious, i mean really! WHo sells stuff to the people that will save the world and charges them for it? Also bonuses go to Mia for her awesome video at the end, and to jessica for being a healer that actually does incredible melee damage, which fits her personallity and race. Then theres the subtle stuff. Alex, i used to think was a lame random translated name, but is actually named alex becuase it means "Protector of Mankind". Knowing that i checked the meaning of everyone elses name (Since all of them are bland, yet realistic) and most of them fit with their personality exactly!!!! Again Genious

Over all the characters get 91 points (for being alittle cliche in short term, but having extreme personality and relationships, and for having a deep meaning in their name) and is multiplied by %25 becuase it is pretty important but overshadowed by the epic story.

And finally gameplay. Its pretty simple. No random battles (thank god. In sega CD there was a fight ever 5 seconds or so) so you dodge enemies on screen, and in fights its almost gridlike. Everycharacter has range and Aoe spells target monsters in certain areas. Basically it is the begining system of another Game-Arts classic Grandia. I love the battle system alot, and value it more then most RPGs, but the problem i have with it is the spellsets are so short for characters. Also it is really slow when compared to other games at the time FF7, or Lunar2. Its mostly animation based, and is like that to make the game feel more like the Sega CD version, but im not a fan of it.

Over all the gameplay get 85 points (for being short-sided in the skills department, but at the sametime being completely revolutionary, fun, and removing random battles) and is multiplied by %20 becuase its all thats left of 100%.

Overall score: 97x.55 = 53.35pts + 91x.25=22.75pts + 85x.2=17pts.= 93.1

Bonus: Points will be added for an amazing and redigiatalized soundtrack, plus amazing opening and boat song lyrics/video. Slight amount of points are subtracted for lack of sidequest (aside from talking to people after completing what was thought to be meaning list tasks) and an overall short title.(Total of +5pts)

Final Score 98.1 (Rank 1 of 12)

Last edited by Mistatee; 01-12-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Update
Old 12-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Bouns Review!!!!!!
Lunar for Sega CD.

Story is alittle weaker then the Ps1 version with
Dyne being killed by the Black dragon driving Ghaleon insane, rather then having Dyne become Laike after making Althena into a child driving Ghaleon insane
and among some other features like
Luna not taking the boat -8Pts.

Overall combat is only worse in the fact that there are random battles, but makes up for it with a much larger skill list then the Ps1 version. Also this game is much harder.
+4pts

Overall estimated score of 4pts less then Lunar:Silver Star Story Complete
Recomended play any version if able. It rocks, and adds more to the story of the Lunar universe.

Last edited by Mistatee; 01-12-2008 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Bonus Review 2!!!!!!!!!!!
Lunar Dragon Song

First off i realize this game isnt old, but its related to Lunar so i dont care.

Story: Take Lunar 1, copy it, remove all the rules from Lunar 1, then ship it to the past (1,000 years) then dilute it by making it understandable for little kids.
2 Dragonmasters, not ever. White dragon not quark, Umm hes in the First1, and he lived over 10,000 years, he should be there. Umm Vile tribe leader being a DM? He has redeyes, no. Black eyed DM? NO!!! Pink Haired Althena????? NOOOOOOOO
Nice to see some areas redone, and atleast some of the lore there to hold true with the time, but not enough to save the catastrophy.
-30pts.

Characters are about the same, but with no meaning to their name (aside from main villian) There relationships are also bumbed down alittle for a younger audience. -8pts.

Gameplay: No targeting on enemies. No real skills aside from heals. Main character cant use spells until about 10 hours into game. They have slow animations. But they do still ahve dodgable battles, and a fast forward button. -7pts.

Overall:
I thought this game rocked at first, but then I got to the actual story and the game died. My recomendation is to play Lunar 1, and never waste your time here, unless you havent. This game might also ruin Lunar 1 for some people if they ahvent played it yet.

Estimated score 45 points less then Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue is next weeks project guys.

Last edited by Mistatee; 09-16-2006 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:33 AM   #5
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Better then SM64? HELL YES
I don't follow. What with SM64!? Is it something about being overrated or underrated or you like it or hate it!?
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Its a game i would rate along the lines of a 50%. So yes I hate the game ALOT. It was easily the worst SM game until Sunshine showed its ugly head. And I was excited by a response to my review page.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:53 AM   #7
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

i gotta check out those games- i read the pitydafool reviews like two weeks ago- but i cant locate the game around where i live-

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:08 AM   #8
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Holy underpants Batman! Wow, so you actually consider the storyline in Lunar inferior on the Sega CD? Most people, including myself, prefer the Sega CD version. However, I do prefer the remake of Eternal Blue to the hack job WD did with the Sega CD version.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:25 AM   #9
Nindalf

The content of this thread makes me furious.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:36 AM   #10
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yeah, where's your Mario 3 review?
Old 02-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #11
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee
Alex, i used to think was a lame random translated name, but is actually named alex becuase it means "Protector of Mankind". Knowing that i checked the meaning of everyone elses name (Since all of them are bland, yet realistic) and most of them fit with their personality exactly!!!! Again Genious
First of all, my name is Alex. Second of all, there are many interpretations of the name "Alex." In Latin, it literally translates as "lawless." Like you said, it also means protector of mankind. I don't see how it's a lame translated name at all. I hate the way Final Fantasy translates names mainly because they are so unrealistic and sound really sappy. Cloud? Squall? Zidane? Ugh! Nobody would name their kids that. Nobody. Alex, however, is a relatively common name with an interesting background. Points to Lunar for actually getting a good name for once.

Interesting fact! My name is William Alexander J. Both William and Alexander mean Protector of Mankind. My parents never knew that. Weird!
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Holy underpants Batman! Wow, so you actually consider the storyline in Lunar inferior on the Sega CD? Most people, including myself, prefer the Sega CD version. However, I do prefer the remake of Eternal Blue to the hack job WD did with the Sega CD version.

Yeah Im weird, but I prefer the direction WD took the story on the second iteration. Plus I am really not a fan fo random battles. If only Lunar for Ps1 had the spell system of Lunar for Sega CD... And I wouldn't say the story is inferior to Ps1, I said alittle weaker, but I really should have just said I prefered the way the story went in the Ps1 version, becuase weak and inferior are bad words, and Lunar for Sega CD doesnt need those things attacjed to its story.

As An apology:

Review 2:
Dragon Force (SAT)

Dragon Force is an odd title to review. If you haven't been fortunate enough to play it, it is a Real-Time strategy-esque RPG game that actually works on a console.

The Story:

The story is a little weak in the world of RPGs. Basically The whole continent is at war, with 8 kingdoms fighting in the free for all. You start the game with the option to choose one of 7 characters which forms the head of 7 of the 8 kingdoms. The backstory is, Harsgalt, Dragon God of Light fought the God of Destruction Madruk (ala Record of the Lodoss war basically) and at the end was to weak to kill Madruk, so he sealed him away instead. During this war there are people trying to revive Madruk, and there are 8 destined heroes (heads of the kingdom strangely) chosen to defeat him. Throught the game you get visits from gods or disciples. You meet with other leaders, and there are some interesting world events. Character's backstorys (of either the leader or his 4 sub-heroes) add more depth to the seemingly simple story. Overall it is done pretty well.

Overall the story gets 82 points and is multiplied by 40% becuase it is just there for support and continuity

The Characters:

All kingdoms leaders and subheroes are pretty different, though they really aren't anything special. On top of that, most of them will have a lot of the same abilities and stats becuase there isn't much difference in those areas. However most have a backstory that is touched upon during the game(only if you are the main kingdom for that character though), and secret events (kingdom dependent) happen becuase of these. As for the other recruits you get, most of them are 1 sided idiots. They say stupid stuff, have stupid names, but you need them. They do nothing for the story asides from helping you get to the end.

Overall the characters get a 76 points and is multiplied by 25% becuase it amplifies the story and the gameplay, but still isn't all that important.

The Gameplay:

It's huge selling point, Dragon force has at least an original combat system, which is generally good in most areas. This game is no Grandia though...

On the world map there are 34 castles ( if i remember correctly) each with armies in them. You take your army from your castles, and move across the world map (in realtime) to fight. Winning makes that castle yours, and the goal is the rule the world. This is hard to explain...

Every person in your army has troops of a certain class (Soldier, Calvary, Mage, Archer, Samurai, Harpy, Dragon, Zombie) and over the course of the game you can give them items and medals so they can get more (up to 100) of 1 class into their army. This is pretty staright forward, get them 10 (which = 100 troops) medals in one area and forget about them.

In Combat each generals army would go up (1 at a time to be fair I guess) against another generals. Generals can unleash completely overpowered (at the end) specials to try to kill as many troops or damage the enemy general during the fight. If one teams army is destroyed, the remaining forced from the other team would then surround and attack the enemy general (getting completely destroyed in the process) until the general:

Dies
Kills them all
Retreats

When all the troopps are dead, if there is time left, the generals get to duel (which the AI declines about half the time). It is then a duel to the death between the two, which is basically take turns attacking (with a random chance to get 1-4 extra attacks) and so who is left at the end.

There are bosses (Random events, enemy generals leaders) but most of them are either overlly hard, or extremely easy. It doesn't help that the game has to have completely crappy AI to make it possible for you to win at the begining, so at the end its basically a suck fest for them. It also doesn't help that for the last part of the game, you can only use the leaders of the kingdoms (when you conquer there kingdom they join you, forgot to mention that), which makes everyone else worthless.

Overall Gameplay gets 78 points and is multiplied by 35% becuase thats what you play the game for...

Overall score: 82x.40 = 32.8pts + 76x.25=19pts + 78x.35=27.3pts.= 79.1

Bonus:
You could want to play it again becuase you unlock a new Kingdom, and every one starts out different, though I'm sure you wont finish it becuase it becomes the same game about halfway through. +2points

Music isn't all that great, and doesn't fit in some areas, -1 points.

Final Score 80.1 (Rank 9 of 12)

Last edited by Mistatee; 01-12-2008 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Update
Old 02-11-2006, 04:08 PM   #13
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander
First of all, my name is Alex. Second of all, there are many interpretations of the name "Alex." In Latin, it literally translates as "lawless." Like you said, it also means protector of mankind. I don't see how it's a lame translated name at all. I hate the way Final Fantasy translates names mainly because they are so unrealistic and sound really sappy. Cloud? Squall? Zidane? Ugh! Nobody would name their kids that. Nobody. Alex, however, is a relatively common name with an interesting background. Points to Lunar for actually getting a good name for once.

Interesting fact! My name is William Alexander J. Both William and Alexander mean Protector of Mankind. My parents never knew that. Weird!
I dunno, Alex sounded so...normal, which I guess also fits the character. I guess your right though...

Guess I owe a second apology:

General Chaos (NON-RPG WARNING)

Heres a tough beast. First this isnt an RPG, so my format is pretty bad for it. Ill grade this game based on:

Balance
Gameplay
Enjoyment

First an overview of the game:
There are 2 armies at war. You choose combat on a dartboard, winner picks of course (aside from the first battle which begins at the beginning) You can only pick places that havent been fought at yet, and they must be touch boundaries of a previous engagement. The goal is to get to the enemies HQ, and win there. HQs are also the only place that can be fought at more than once. After the battleground is decided, you need to select an army unit to use. There are 5 or 6 options, and they aren't there for a couple of fights afterwards, so you have to choose wiselly. They are pretty balanced, though you will most likely have a favorite, and one you hate alot. Then you fight.....

Balance:

The game is pretty balanced, which is good. The rocket Launcher character is super good, while the flamethrower (with its craoopy AI) sucks. Commandos (2 people instead of 5) are balanced as well. Maps are balanced, aside from capitals (HQs) which males sense, becuase if you loose there, you loose. Nothing to big to complain about.

Gameplay:

Its pretty straightforward. Holding A makes all you units attack. B cycles through units, c makes them move to where ever your cursor is. Terrain can be hid behind, and there are bonus items (for points which give you more medics at the end f the fight) so moving helps alot. There are also objectives for bonuses you can complete that would require moving. Plus grenader, Flamethrower and TnT man(Chuck Norris, and I am Serious, beard and all), are all very short ranged an need to move as well.

Your guys sort of auto aim when you tell them to shoot. The rocket luancher has certain angles he can shoot at, so moving him to adjust is required. The flamethrower however, is retarded, and probally wont hit...stupid AI. Other then that, if they are in range, the charcaters will hit eventually.

Terrain also matters in the game. You can trip over barbed wire, or swim through water, only to find you gun jammed or your flamethrower shooting bubbles. Sometimes people evn drown. You can also run into trees, or take cover behind them.

Running into enemies can also trigger a hand to hand fight which you can control. You can kick punch and block, aiming up middle or down for each. Usually you will win, but too many low-blows and the enemy falls down and shoots you with a pistol. Also CHuck Norris never looses really in Hand to Hand, further proving it is him.

Commandos with 2 player (each controls 1 guy) is too much fun.

Enjoyment:

You can turn people into sjeletons with rocket luanchers, you can play as chuck norris, and you can play 4 player FFA. This is one Genesis game that was looked over by too many people. If you don't mind a good mindless game, play it.

Final Score 86 (Rank 6 of 12, tie with FFXII)

Last edited by Mistatee; 01-12-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:38 PM   #14
RaeOfSun22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander

I met a person who was named Cloud once, but then again... she was female? heh
RaeOfSun22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:56 PM   #15
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Oh. Cool. I know a guy named Virgil and a girl named Aphrodite.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote