The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 11-22-2005, 03:53 AM   #1
welshfreak
: )

Mario Kart 1st week sales in USA.

This article has been swiped from Revo-Europe. Thanks revo europe!

Its official. America is off to the races with Mario Kart DS garnering some impressive first week figures...

Nintendo of America has revealed that in its first week, over 45% of Mario Kart DS buyers have already sampled online play. Utilizing the new Nintendo WiFi Connection, Mario Kart DS becomes the first Nintendo game to use the online service. Sales for the hotly anticipated game exceeded 112k copies, which would mean over 52k unique DS users were seen playing online at some point over the week.

Beth Lewellyn, NOA Senior Director of Public Relations, seemed pleased with the game's first week fortunes:

"We are ecstatic with the results, and this definitely sets the standard for future Wi-Fi online gaming. Mario Kart should easily be a million seller in its life cycle, and we'd love for everyone with the game to touch the Wi-Fi experience. We've got Animal Crossing just around the corner, and Metroid Prime Hunters next year, with more to come."

Note that these early returns fall well short of Nintendo President Satoru Iwata's stated desire to see at least 90% of Mario Kart DS users to give online play a spin. However, it should be pointed out that users who have not yet done so will likely eventually give the free service a try due to its relatively pain-free setup. Additionally, the game is primed to experience another significant spike in sales when the special edition Red DS pack-in bundle goes on sale on November 28th in America.

With Europe set to join the online advent of Mario Kart Madness (are you ready?) in short time, tracking the ultimate online user penetration of the title should prove intriguing. One thing is for sure, Mario Kart DS is certainly off to a flying start.
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:04 AM   #2
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Iwata is still a little crazy with that 90 percent must play online crap.

I wonder how much it will sell once december comes, christmas time always makes people go nuts with buying and Mario Kart is one of those kind of sellers.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:11 AM   #3
justin_credible

heh, funny how fast their stance has changed from "nobody wants to play online" to "90% will play online"

Oh well, Mario Kart needed to be online. It's pretty retarded that battle mode isn't online though, that's what everyone wants.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:15 AM   #4
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
No, they didn't say, 90 % will play online, they WANT 90% to play online, or they will consider online gameplay a failure.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:39 AM   #5
justin_credible

Well that's even MORE pathetic. Unrealistic expectations only leads to dissapointment.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:44 AM   #6
haruko

bout time the DS was utilised... gotta admit though this version of MK is the best since the original SNES release.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It's much better than the SNES version. It is the best MK ever (and yes you can count Mortal Kombat in the "MK").
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #8
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

112,000? That's it?? I was expecting something like 500k. Nintendo failed to live up to my expectations. Therefore, they must consider themselves failures.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:51 AM   #9
Seraph
>:3

This is the first mario kart ive actually gotten into, that says something in itself.

I wonder how many people out there are like our MB members who wont go online until they get that USB adapter? I good portion of our community (at least half) are waiting on that adapter before they play.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 11:33 AM   #10
welshfreak
: )

I'm waiting for the game. I have a 2wire wireless router but can't see it on the list from Nintendo so I am just praying it will work fine.
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #11
spider-prime

well I just found out why my USB adapter didn't ship yet, its backed ordered, I emailed Nintendo and they said its selling online from their store better then they expected.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:54 PM   #12
justin_credible

Nintendo must not like Canadians. You ordered yours before me spider-prime and I got mine yesterday!

Or maybe Nintendo realized putting the USB adaptor in my hands as soon as possible would be a good business decision!
Old 11-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #13
spider-prime

Bastards!!!
Old 11-24-2005, 12:51 PM   #14
zsidane
Running wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
112,000? That's it?? I was expecting something like 500k. Nintendo failed to live up to my expectations. Therefore, they must consider themselves failures.
Those sales numbers are for the first week!
Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 PM   #15
spider-prime

HURRAY my adapter finally shipped!!!