The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 10-01-2002, 07:38 AM   #1
gabriel
infinity in finity

Thousand Land - Xbox's answer to Pikmin?

Has anyone seen this game? I think I saw a TGS video of it, it looked really cool. It's being developed by From Software, who's games usually have a small niche market, so the chances for mainstream success are fairly low. Especially considering the type of game this is - which from the look of things, is a Pikmin clone. You build up a squad of small garden dwellers to fight other... things. There's not much info available. This site had a preview + movie of it, but I'm about to leave for school so I dont have time to fish it up.

There's a small preview + screens over at http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/ne...=7&nid=5-18.db , and From Software's official site (fromsoftware.co.jp - dont worry they have an English option), has a section devoted to it.

As a fan of From, XBox, and Pikmin, I'm definaitly looking forward to this little game, I just hope it gets released outside of Japan.

Old 10-01-2002, 11:22 AM   #2
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Pikmin is an awesome idea and I love that game. Even if it was way to short. By the looks of the pics of Thousand land I would say it doesn't look near as good or as fun as Pikmin. But who knows screen shots don't always do a game justice. It would be hard to match the feeling you get from playing Pikmin. The control, atmosphere of Pikmin is just perfect and I am hoping a part 2 is being planned.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:50 PM   #3
aneep

hmm

this game is on XboxLive u know, so its u versus other ppl using the creature (i forgot what ist called)

and i doubt this will see release in NA, but here's hoping

-aneep-
aneep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 05:51 AM   #4
baratus
Elite Bouncer

*raspberry*
First they want to compete against Mario Party 4 with a similar game using the characters from Shrek, now they plan to compete against Pikmin with this. Good luck there
baratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 11:01 AM   #5
DBJAY

Well, it's really THQ and From Software competing against Nintendo software. Isn't Shrek Party multi-format?
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 07:22 PM   #6
metroidman

And this is why Nintendo doesnt release info on games someones just waiting to rip them off. even though pikmin has been out a long time.of cours nintendo would still make the better game.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:27 PM   #7
aneep

its not like Pikmin is available on the Xbox, sheesh

when there's an open field to exploit, publishers will try to fill the gap

truthfully though, i cannot see the resemblance between this game and Pikmin other than the visual

-aneep-
Old 10-06-2002, 07:50 PM   #8
gabriel
infinity in finity

Quote:
Originally posted by aneep

truthfully though, i cannot see the resemblance between this game and Pikmin other than the visual

They're both RTS games set in a garden environment, I think the resemblance is quite clear. Obviously gameplay elements will differ, it's not like it's a complete copy of Pikmin, but it's obvious where the inspiration came from.

Keeping in mind who's developing this game, I wouldnt get your hopes up too high for this game.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:41 AM   #9
Nindalf

This game sure looks gay!
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:09 PM   #10
metroidman

Quote:
This game sure looks gay!

HEHEHE
Old 10-07-2002, 10:28 PM   #11
aneep

Quote:
Originally posted by gabriel

They're both RTS games set in a garden environment, I think the resemblance is quite clear. Obviously gameplay elements will differ, it's not like it's a complete copy of Pikmin, but it's obvious where the inspiration came from.

Keeping in mind who's developing this game, I wouldnt get your hopes up too high for this game.
that is just like saying they are both action game and they are set in space base

or they are both platformer and they are set in a fantasy world

sheesh if devs aren't allowed to create games that have slight similarity in theme we won't have warcraft since they are copying dune 2 or half life since they are copying quake

-aneep-
Old 10-08-2002, 08:20 AM   #12
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Whoa.. easy there aneep, it'll be alright. Nobody is saying that they can't make this game!

It's just the similarities... are there... apparently- I couldn't really tell ya- since the stupid screenshots are much too small, and I can't be bothered to look this stuff up! ;>

Remember what they say. imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Oh, and to some extent- I can see why Nintendo likes to keep it's games a secret....
Old 10-08-2002, 09:54 PM   #13
gabriel
infinity in finity

Quote:
Originally posted by aneep

that is just like saying they are both action game and they are set in space base

or they are both platformer and they are set in a fantasy world

sheesh if devs aren't allowed to create games that have slight similarity in theme we won't have warcraft since they are copying dune 2 or half life since they are copying quake

-aneep-

There's a difference between your examples and the comparison I made. The RTS genre is pretty limited, you can expect to make units/buildings, fight similar opposing units, and manage resources. There's a lot more variables in an action, or platform game.

I know that Thousand Land will be different than Pikmin, but it still looks similar, and gameplay comparisons will probably be made.

Actually, the games you mentioned (Dune + Warcraft, Half Life + Quake) are similar, in the same way that the ones I mentioned are. Meaning, they're not exact copies, but you can stack them in the same pile.
Old 10-09-2002, 08:00 PM   #14
Mikeru83
Member Ver. 2.03

Are those acorns with feet??