The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 09-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #61
Arnold

All you need is some pretend-/quasi-intellectual thinking, as Granfallon aptly puts it, and you get your Angela explanation, hehehe. Well, the context and clues are there if you're looking, it is up to you to make the connection.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #62
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiko8
Out of the 7 questions you posted DS, I can explain a couple. The easiest one to explain is 7.
Well, they are easy to answer. But no single answer is absolute. That is what I was getting at. People can write scholarly essays on open-ended questions about a videogame plotline. That is what amazes me. (Comming from a kid who played Duck Hunt, Kung Fu, and Punchout!)

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:07 AM   #63
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Chrono Trigger (1995 - SNES(NA/JP), 1999(JP) and 2001(NA) - PS)

Released 03/11/95 (JP), 09/27/95 (NA), 11/02/99 (JP Playstation, with new animations)
*Released as part of Final Fantasy Chronicles on the Playsation 06/29/01 (NA)*

Director: Akihiko Matsui, Yoshinori Kitase, and Takashi Tokita
Producer: Kazuhiko Aoki
Music: Nobuo Uematsu, Yasunori Mitsuda and Noriko Matsueda
Story Plan: Masato Kato

Graphics: A+
Sound: A+
Story: A+
Gameplay: A+

Overall Score:
A+

To think....Final Fantasy VI (III in NA, EU) came out one year before. A joint effort between Enix and Squaresoft, Chrono Trigger was a game that was ahead of its time. Showcasing artwark by Akira Toriyama, the characters have passed the test of time to become a staple in how an RPG is made. Featuring 13 different endings, this game has a potential for over 100 hours of gameplay. But really, it'll take you roughly 20-25 hours to complete it.

The Opening Screen

Story
The story of Chrono Trigger is actually quite simple. The time is 1000 A.D.. You are a simple boy named Crono (NOT Chrono), who is attending the Millenial Fair to see his best friend, Lucca's, new teleportation device. On the way you meet a girl, Marle, who tries it out. Something goes amiss, her pendant reacts to the deice and she vanishes. Crono takes the pendant and goes after her.

A beast named Lavos threatens to destroy your future and you destroy it before it does. Simple? Well it doesn't end there. There are many optional side quests to perform, like finding out the orgin of a robot, called Robo, who you meet in the future. You also meet a amazing sorceror with mysterious ties to the past. By the end, you'll see how all eras of time are interconnected together in one brilliant storyline. And then you'll notice that the world, past and present, is rooting for you to defeat Lavos.

Also, keep in mind that defeating Lavos at different points in the storyline will get you different endings. I.E., defeat Lavos without establishing human dominence in 65,000,000 B.C. will result in the ending being played out by reptiles, not humans.

A+

Crono and Lucca meet the amazing swordsman, Frog in 600 A.D.

Graphics
By today's standards, Chrono Trigger is quite archaic. But let's put it into perspective. Final Fantasy VI came out one year before, so this was an amazing leap in charaphics. Characters were taller, maps were more dynamic (using MODE 7 graphics or whatever Nintendo called them), and everything was crisp. The colors used fit well and lended themself to the storyline. I could have used more sprites (I can only see the TABAN sprite so many times before going nuts) but that was a downfall of the SNES RPG eras, multiple similiar NPCs. Chrono Trigger borrowed the graphical look of The Secret of Mana and added their own little flair to it with Toriyama's artwork for all characters.

But Toriyama really hit a stride with Chrono Trigger. You can see that his characters in the past (Goku and Vejeta) look very similar to those in Chrono Trigger (Crono and Magus). But that's just his style.

A+

Magus speaks to Marle and Lucca in 1200 B.C.

Sound
An amazing score. Each character holds a memorable theme - especially Magus and Frog. But let's not forget the themes of Schala, a mysterious theme from 1200 B.C.. Chrono Trigger has, simply, one of the best soundtracks. No track is a miss to me. Everything fits for the era you are in.

A+

The showdown between Chrono, Marle, and Frog against Sir Magus of 600 A.D.

Gameplay
To this day, I am amazed that more RPG do not follow Chrono Trigger's example. Where you are on the map is where you fight. There is no instantaneous WIPE to a battle screen. You either run into an enemy or you are attacked, the characters move into position on the screen, the menubar pops up, and the fight begins! It's more fast paced than the Final Fantasies of the time.

As a game, Chrono Trigger is pretty easy. If you just do every sidequest (they are all laid out for you) then you should have no problem defeating the game. But it doesn't end there. Let me talk about New Game +, where you begin a new game with your old stats, equipment, and items. This is the key, you can go through the game again and collect those super rare items to maximize your team and then chose when the game ends. New Game + allows you to unlock all 13 endings (11 different endings as 1 ending is the standard ending and 1 is the ending where you die and Lavos destroys the world).

The menus are easy to navigate(see below, they are usually grey but I choose a blue background) and you save on either the world map or on a save 'sprite' that became a RPG staple.

Spells are done in quite an interesting way. Each character learns a set of spells or abilities and then some spells can be used on conjunction of one another two make a more powerful spell (Double Tech) or three for a massively strong spell (Triple Tech).

A+

The Menus

The Map

Final Thoughts....
Chrono Trigger is one of the few non-Final Fantasies that Square has made that were better than their flagship franchise when Square was at their PRIME (before the PS1 days).

Now I am critical of Chrono Trigger. It suffers some what happens when most games with multiple characters suffer from: a lack of NPC character development. You'll meet characters like Cyrus, Schala, or Melachor, who all should have their own games! Certainly their character's are rich enough to support a long story, however you only see them for under 50 lines in the game!

However, this has actually HELPED the game, as it allows for so much fucking fan fiction to be written about them, especially Schala.

I know, it's really not THAT critical, but aside from personal taste, it's hard to find faults in this game.

Can you muster enough strength to challenge the Black Omen? Are you man enough to defeat it 4 times? (Start in 2300 AD, then defeat the Black Omen there, then go to 1000 AD and do the same. Then do it for 600 A.D. and finally 1200 B.C.)

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:37 AM   #64
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I would be interested in this, but games with a buttload of endings really turns me off. I don't mind a good ending, a bad ending, and perhaps a best ending, but anything more is really unnecessary. I just feel as if I'll waste my life on the game and it will never end, so I don't feel any ambition to even start.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:11 AM   #65
Paper exe
Pwnd

That because you are playing for the wrong reasons!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:23 AM   #66
Nindalf

multiple endings suck. also, i'd rather kill myself than read chrono trigger fanfic.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:51 AM   #67
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Chrono Trigger is very awesome.

The multiple endings are not bad. Only a few are available from the start. You just have to finish some side quest to get the best ending, and depending witch option you pick you get a different ending for Frog. There are a few joke endings but they are impossible to get if you not at a high lever from the start of the game.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)

Last edited by Sinful Sam; 11-16-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:22 AM   #68
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
That because you are playing for the wrong reasons!
I don't recall asking for your opinion of my opinion. Please go away, you annoy me.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #69
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Nice review. I argee for the most part except for when you said it has a brilliant storyline. Too bad RPGs went into a downhill slope soon thereafter. You would've expected that CT would've become a huge series by now but Square has paid more attention to series like Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana) and the SaGa series, oftentimes with disastrous results.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #70
Chronos
fuggit

I only saw a few of the endings. But all in all CT is a very well done RPG.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #71
Joe Redifer
Olé!

But you haven't experienced the game until you've obtained every single ending. That's what drives me nuts.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:49 PM   #72
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Those screenshots are from a SNES emulator on Super Eagle mode.

FAKE; the game looks much worse.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #73
Seraph
>:3

Maybe in an emulator it looks worse, but a standard television gives you free pixel bluring, so they really did look as good as that.

Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest, if not best RPG's of all time.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:09 PM   #74
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I would take the real game on a real SDTV anyday over an emulator in "Super Eagle" mode or any other mode for that matter. So to me the game looks better in real life vs emulator.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:12 PM   #75
Arnold

I've only played the Playstation version, and it sure was a charming game, simple but irresistible. Chrono Trigger deserves whatever glowing praise is heaped upon it. And the music was really, really good.

It's a shame Square neglected the series in the current gen, as it rightfully deserves to be one of its pillar games.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote