The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 10-27-2005, 06:48 AM   #16
Cobi*
renegade

Isn't this what John Carmack has been saying for months now?

I thought it was more or less accepted that the XBOX360 had better developer support. Sony has always relied on good middleware to pick up the slack.
Cobi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:26 AM   #17
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime
well we already know we don't buy a Playstation for Sony games
Quite the contrary, Sony has got some pretty talented 1st party developers. I know SCEA is a pretty lame company, but Sony has some good ones like Polyphony Digital and the ICO team. Sony's 1st parties have also been responsible for some fan-favorites like SOCOM, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Hot Shots Golf, Killzone...I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting, but Sony games aren't bad at all.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #18
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
well they aren't terrible games, but they aren't my favorites neither

so basically thats difference of opinion

but I'm more into puzzle games anyways hehe
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #19
Keits
Kaizoku da!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
You see... Nintendo wasnt exactly the market leader in western countries in the 16-bit era, so its no surprise they lost any chance to get back the lead. I dont know how much it took for Nintendo to come out with the N64, but im pretty sure it was longer than a year after the saturn and playstation launched. Anyways, Sony isnt Nintendo. They have a 2 generation market lead and proving from the way people waited for the PS2 even though the DC was out for a year, everything leads me to believe they will do the same with the PS3. Its just the way things are. Most ppl just want to buy the leading console and thus they will wait for the PS3 wich is by trade the leading brand. Us who buy 2 or more systems are actually the minority in this process.
Honestly only if the developers purpusely change to the X360 in mass and dont support the PS3 at all will things look down to the PS3. This is cause the casual gamer will blindly go for the Playstation and that is actually something that gives companies safety to develop their games for that platform.
Of course theres always the remote chance of Nintendos new console be and incredible unpredicted sucess and things might take a dramatic turn. I wont count on the PS3 phasing out though...
They key difference here is marketing.

Sega was losing money, and had no ability to market.

Microsoft is the richest company on earth, and can market just as well as Sony.

The situation looks the same, with people possibly waiting for PS3 based on hype alone... But with MS pushing and marketing hard, its not going to look the same a year from now.
Keits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #20
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-prime
well they aren't terrible games, but they aren't my favorites neither

so basically thats difference of opinion

but I'm more into puzzle games anyways hehe

So then you're like me and loved Sony's Fantavision and Flipnic? And Devil Dice on PS1!
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:36 PM   #21
Decado

"Developers" (what developers? Anyone we actually care about?) doesn't really mean much. Hard to take this too seriously, though it certainly doesn't sound very good at a glance.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #22
spider-prime

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burpingcat
So then you're like me and loved Sony's Fantavision and Flipnic? And Devil Dice on PS1!
haha I bought Fantavision for 2.99 at EB brandnew and they tried to sell me the rest of their stock hahahah

and then I sold it on ebay for 9.99 hAHHA someone actually bought it
Old 10-30-2005, 03:52 PM   #23
Well Man
Y'all are brutalizing me

Sony 1st party software is pretty good, at times even rivally Nintendo quality.

But I think the main problem with the PS3 is that Sony isn't really ready yet, they have promised a ton of stuff but more than likely they know adding all of it would increase the cost of the system, so they are probably still trying to see what they can put in and what they have to drop to keep a competitive price.
Old 10-30-2005, 03:56 PM   #24
Meshugana
Daddy Fat Sacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Man
Sony 1st party software is pretty good, at times even rivally Nintendo quality.

........WHAT?! Im probally just out of the loop, but what games are you refering to, i can only think of of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus ( but arent those 2nd party).
Old 10-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #25
spider-prime

I hated ICO. borest game and the puzzles were all the exact same thing. I just beat the game for the hell of it.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:04 PM   #26
Well Man
Y'all are brutalizing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshugana
........WHAT?! Im probally just out of the loop, but what games are you refering to, i can only think of of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus ( but arent those 2nd party).
God of War mainly. Although now that I think of it, most of their best stuff (Jak, R&C, SOCOM, etc.) are 2nd party.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:36 PM   #27
wunko

Shocked

People are so impatient. Give PS3 some time. Sony should not take too long, but then again you don't wanna rush stuff.

I always favor Japanese consoles over the :kill: American ones. Unless of course all of the Japanese games are on American consoles. :???:
Old 10-31-2005, 12:36 AM   #28
BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Man
God of War mainly. Although now that I think of it, most of their best stuff (Jak, R&C, SOCOM, etc.) are 2nd party.
Yeah I agree with God Of War, and I also think that Ape Escape is on par with Nintendo. But neither of those have achieved the success level of a Mario or Zelda and probably never will. I tend to like oddball games sometimes more than established icons like Mario, but there is still NO DOUBT of the quality of most of the big N's IP's!And for the record I don't like Jak, Ratchet, or Socom.
BGM is offline   Reply With Quote