The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #1
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!
 
Sinful Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Five min away from SavedFromSin
Posts: 8,616
Developer unhappy with PS3 develpment tools

Quote:
The latest issue of Japanese economy magazine, Weekly Diamond, reveals that developers are unhappy with the state of PS3 development tools, and software is likely to be late in coming for the hardware. The article states that PS3 dev tools have only just started shipping to developers this month, while 360 tools were shipped last summer. Furthermore, SCE has not yet announced the price of the console, so developers are unable to predict what audience they are targetting games at. President of Enterbrain, Hirokazu Hamamura, says "We are unlikely to see games exhibiting a level only PS3 can achieve until the end of 2007."

The article goes on to compare the benefits of PS2 as a cheap DVD player when it launched in 2000, with PS3's Blu-Ray playback capabilities, the main difference between then and now being that the industry is currently deep in a format-war for next-generation video, and that Blu-Ray movies still don't exist. It is therefore deduced that the number of users who will pick it up as a cheap Blu-Ray player at launch is somewhat smaller, and that sales of game software will be key for the system.
http://game-science.com/news/001249.php
__________________
Join The-Magicbox Facebook group page!

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.
 
Drunken Savior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 18,627
Well the 360 is being released before the PS3 so the PS3 dev tools should be released when they are ready.
__________________

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman
 
Dr. Bombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Nexus Between Jersey and NYC
Posts: 9,207
And if the PS3 gets delayed until 2k7, then there's no problem.
__________________
~There's a Door Here, But It Will Not Break~
~There's a Stone There, But It Won't Remain~
~Up There's a Heaven Now, But It Will Not Wait~
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!
 
Sinful Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Five min away from SavedFromSin
Posts: 8,616
Yeah if the PS3 gets delayed then I guess that would enough time for developers. But Sony has yet to give the cost of the console and other details which would give developers the choice weather or not to support it.
__________________
Join The-Magicbox Facebook group page!

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
Nindalf
Registered User
 
Nindalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 11,905
It's a Playstation. Of course they'll support it.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!
 
Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful Sam

Reason #104 for why Sony screwed up and won't be king the next gen.


Sony is in no hurry because they want to milk the PS2 some more, which is a fatal mistake.
__________________
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
~Thomas Jefferson
Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 03:41 PM   #7
Reality
Sin and Punishment
 
Reality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,371
Looks like M$ entered the market right on time then. For their going to be taking first place with little resistance.
__________________
Outpostnine is that 1%.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Nem
Smash bro!
 
Nem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: EU
Posts: 7,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod
Sony is in no hurry because they want to milk the PS2 some more, which is a fatal mistake.
That part is actually a good move in europe. Actually its a good move in every area. To give the PS2 up would be to present the market to Microsoft exclusively in a nice wrap. While ppl are entertained with the PS2 (wich they will since not everyone is willing to jump to next-gen right away) they are inadvertadly waiting for the PS3. The PS2 is, at this point, the only possible savior the PS3 may have.
__________________
"Only those with narrow minds fail to see that the definition of Impossible is "Lack of imagination and incentive"" - DUNE:BJ
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:25 PM   #9
DBJAY
Registered User
 
DBJAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Socal
Posts: 3,998
Interesting point about it being the "end of 2007". So that means that the great looking PS3 games will not be common until somewhere in 2008? Hopefully end of 2007 early 2008 at the latest.

And if the PS3 developers are getting dev tools in Oct. 05, a launch in less than 5 months seems even more unlikely. It does explain why we have yet to see any gameplay from a game though. I don't think they can afford to pull a PSP and not have the software to back it up. If they come to market with games that look nearly identical to Xbox360, but retail the hardware at a higher price, that's a problem.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:33 PM   #10
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!
 
Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
That part is actually a good move in europe. Actually its a good move in every area. To give the PS2 up would be to present the market to Microsoft exclusively in a nice wrap. While ppl are entertained with the PS2 (wich they will since not everyone is willing to jump to next-gen right away) they are inadvertadly waiting for the PS3. The PS2 is, at this point, the only possible savior the PS3 may have.

It's a good idea for short-term profits, but in the long run, it'll be costly because the market doesn't wait. It didn't wait for Nintendo and it won't wait for Sony.


To me, the PS2 will be the PS3's killer.


Quote:
Interesting point about it being the "end of 2007". So that means that the great looking PS3 games will not be common until somewhere in 2008? Hopefully end of 2007 early 2008 at the latest.
If it's any later than Spring 2006, then MS has time to do price cuts to ruin any hopes by Sony to sell at high prices, as well as amass a much-better collection of games. really Spring 2006 is pushing it. Selling the PS2 some more is good for short-term profits, but does exactly nothing to help the PS3 survive.

Quote:
And if the PS3 developers are getting dev tools in Oct. 05, a launch in less than 5 months seems even more unlikely. It does explain why we have yet to see any gameplay from a game though. I don't think they can afford to pull a PSP and not have the software to back it up. If they come to market with games that look nearly identical to Xbox360, but retail the hardware at a higher price, that's a problem.
With developers like Konami and others announcing games under development back at E3 (like MGS4), I am not sure if I buy the claim that they're just now handing out development kits. I think that some developers are just now getting kits, but the ones that matter the most to Sony (Square, EA, Konami, etc) already got them a while ago.
__________________
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
~Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Zod; 10-26-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 05:39 PM   #11
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.
 
Drunken Savior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 18,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod
With developers like Konami and others announcing games under development back at E3 (like MGS4), I am not sure if I buy the claim that they're just now handing out development kits. I think that some developers are just now getting kits, but the ones that matter the most to Sony (Square, EA, Konami, etc) already got them a while ago.
That's probably a pretty good assumption.
__________________

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #12
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!
 
spider-prime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Posts: 21,063
well we already know we don't buy a Playstation for Sony games

Sony needs the 3rd party, without it, I don't think the Playstation would have ever took off like it did.

Nintendo is lucky that enough people are buying their system cause their games are good, cause they would have been gone by now also.

Cause no one wants to buy more then one system if they all have the same games on it, there would be no point to buying it at all.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:06 PM   #13
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,639
I just want Konami to release their own system so I dont have to bother buying a shoddy sony product ever again. The devs ALWAYS complain and still they go right ahead and support the system as much as possible. Dont know why they bother saying anything in the first place.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #14
Keits
Kaizoku da!
 
Keits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
I just want Konami to release their own system so I dont have to bother buying a shoddy sony product ever again. The devs ALWAYS complain and still they go right ahead and support the system as much as possible. Dont know why they bother saying anything in the first place.

Because money speaks the loudest.
Keits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
Nem
Smash bro!
 
Nem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: EU
Posts: 7,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zod
It's a good idea for short-term profits, but in the long run, it'll be costly because the market doesn't wait. It didn't wait for Nintendo and it won't wait for Sony.


To me, the PS2 will be the PS3's killer.
You see... Nintendo wasnt exactly the market leader in western countries in the 16-bit era, so its no surprise they lost any chance to get back the lead. I dont know how much it took for Nintendo to come out with the N64, but im pretty sure it was longer than a year after the saturn and playstation launched. Anyways, Sony isnt Nintendo. They have a 2 generation market lead and proving from the way people waited for the PS2 even though the DC was out for a year, everything leads me to believe they will do the same with the PS3. Its just the way things are. Most ppl just want to buy the leading console and thus they will wait for the PS3 wich is by trade the leading brand. Us who buy 2 or more systems are actually the minority in this process.
Honestly only if the developers purpusely change to the X360 in mass and dont support the PS3 at all will things look down to the PS3. This is cause the casual gamer will blindly go for the Playstation and that is actually something that gives companies safety to develop their games for that platform.
Of course theres always the remote chance of Nintendos new console be and incredible unpredicted sucess and things might take a dramatic turn. I wont count on the PS3 phasing out though...
__________________
"Only those with narrow minds fail to see that the definition of Impossible is "Lack of imagination and incentive"" - DUNE:BJ
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.