The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 10-17-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
B.B. Gambini
Banned

On Board Graphics Cards

if your motherboard got a onboard graphics card is it possible to boot up with the new graphics card in its slot? or do i have to uninstal the on board graphics card first?(i know this is kinda too simple of a question for a whole thread so just close it when i get the answer)
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B. Gambini
if your motherboard got a onboard graphics card is it possible to boot up with the new graphics card in its slot? or do i have to uninstal the on board graphics card first?(i know this is kinda too simple of a question for a whole thread so just close it when i get the answer)
I told you how to before.
1)go to the Device Manager in Windows, right-click the entry for the driver for your onboard graphics card and select Disable. Apply the changes and shut down your PC.

2)Now insert your new graphics card into the AGP port, making sure it?s firmly connected into the socket and hook up your monitor.

3)Boot the PC and enter the Setup menu to access the BIOS typically by pressing [F1] or [Del]. Go to the ?Advanced Features? page and select to ?Disable Onboard VGA?. The wording and location may vary according to your BIOS, but you should be able to find it. Press [F10] to save changes to the BIOS and exit. Your PC should now boot recognising your new graphics card and prompt you to install the new drivers for it in Windows.

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #3
B.B. Gambini
Banned

yes i know how to install the graphics card, i already installed one at my friends, but he didnt have an onboard, you missed the question, mines is different i can uninstall it when i log onto windows i dont need to go to the BIOS, just wanted to know if its possible to boot up with the new graphics card inplace and the onboard graphics card not yet uninstalled
Old 10-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #4
Seska
Slurp

If you dont disable the onboard graphics card in the bios, that is the device your PC will use to output video to. If you want to boot up using the new graphics card, youll need to disable the onboard first.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:33 PM   #5
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
yes i know how to install the graphics card, i already installed one at my friends, but he didnt have an onboard, you missed the question, mines is different i can uninstall it when i log onto windows i dont need to go to the BIOS, just wanted to know if its possible to boot up with the new graphics card inplace and the onboard graphics card not yet uninstalled
Yeah, I know yours in onboard, and it's not different because you can usually disable it from windows (like I put before), but you should disable it from bios if you want it to disable correctly. You can boot up with the new graphics card in place, but why bother to log onto windows and disable it when you can do it in bios.

STEAM

Old 10-18-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
Alucard

Just keep pressing DEL as your system is starting up and doing the memory check, and then search through your bios settings for onboard video or something similar to that. Set it to off or disabled, save your settings, boot up your pc and bam! No more ****ty onboard.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Just keep pressing DEL as your system is starting up and doing the memory check, and then search through your bios settings for onboard video or something similar to that. Set it to off or disabled, save your settings, boot up your pc and bam! No more ****ty onboard.
That's an understatement.

Quote:
you missed the question, mines is different i can uninstall it when i log onto windows i dont need to go to the BIOS, just wanted to know if its possible to boot up with the new graphics card inplace and the onboard graphics card not yet uninstalled
You'll probably get undesired results by doing that, and I didn't miss your question, you were asking if you can have the card in while booting up right? You could but it may cause more harm than good, you're just better off doing like alucard said.

STEAM

Old 10-18-2005, 04:18 PM   #8
B.B. Gambini
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionetteKazuk
That's an understatement.

my onboard has 92 mb...so sh!tty is just about right