The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 09-24-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Paper exe
Pwnd

Micro is old news now. Be prepared to buy GBA model 4!!!11!

Quote:
Nintendo, likely in order to keep attention focused on the Micro launch, quietly released a new version of their best-selling GBA SP earlier this week (at least in America). This new and improved SP enhances the screen with a backlight (as opposed to the original's frontlight) that puts the unit's screen brightness at the level of the sleek new Micro. The small button which once toggled the frontlight on or off now switches between two brightness settings. Early user accounts give the new SP a big thumbs-up, easily placing it ahead of the DS (which first revealed the joys of backlit GBA games to portable fans.)

The new SP is not perfection however. For one, a side-effect in the new screens is that the refresh rate is at times noticeably slower resulting in an occasional blurry picture as objects and backgrounds move and scale. Reportedly it is not a big issue at all, but existent nontheless. Also, it should be noted that this new SP did not fix the most glaring omission of the original...yes, there remains a lack of a headphone jack.

Nintendo of America released the new SP in two colors, Graphite and Pearl Blue, for the same price of $79.99. The packaging of the new versions are easily picked out from the old as they now proudly declare "Now with a BRIGHTER backlit screen!" in bold on the front of the box.
http://www.revo-europe.com/news.php?nid=8276

Nintendo really crossed the line this time and having disadvantage did not help this model one pit.

I think the success of Super Mario Bros that they only add a 20 anniversary sticker on it selling so well is one of the reasons.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 02:09 PM   #2
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

damn i shoudn't have posted.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Seraph
>:3

"Give me a P!"
"Give me a O!"
"Give me a R, T, A, B, I, L, I, T, Y!"

"Now what does it spell!"

Crowd: "Portability!!!" *crowd goes wild*
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 04:09 PM   #4
gearhound
Versus the World

nintendo has handhelditis.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Alucard

Theres no picture. I cant be impressed if theres no pictures.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
this is old news too, read the other threads
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
Seska
Slurp

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
"Give me a P!"
"Give me a O!"
"Give me a R, T, A, B, I, L, I, T, Y!"

"Now what does it spell!"

Crowd: "Portability!!!" *crowd goes wild*
And that has to do what, exactly, with a backlit screen?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:01 PM   #8
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska
And that has to do what, exactly, with a backlit screen?
the title of this thread and another attempt by paper as to say why nobody should buy a micro. thats all
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:15 PM   #9
DBJAY

Oh just wait until next year when you see the DS WS (wide screen), completely restyled. No facts to back it up, but will not be surprised to see the DS go through it's first design change in 06. What would really burn Sony and help secure their position is an Apple Ipod/DS cross over machine. I know Apple has no love loss for Sony and they are eager to crush any competition to their Ipod.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #10
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
the title of this thread and another attempt by paper as to say why nobody should buy a micro. thats all
Do you really think that I made this thread just so to hurt Micro sells!?
Ok then, next time I will make it a secret, until model 3 sells then I will reveal Model 4, in that way, people would buy them both. Is that what you want?
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 03:19 AM   #11
Seska
Slurp

Personally I dont even see this as a new model, I mean, its still the SP but with a backlit screen. Nothign to scream bloody murder for. I dont think people screamed bloody murder when they updated the PS2 with a faster DVD unit. :p
Old 09-25-2005, 05:47 AM   #12
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Personally, I'm rather sick and tired of Nintendo releasing a hundred versions of the same product. I mean jeez, why didn't they just release the GBA with the backlit screen in the first place? They're making me feel nauseous.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:10 PM   #13
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

The new SP is no big deal. They simply started using better screens in their production, since they are already doing so with the DS. They are probably using the same producer as well, simple buying screens in different sizes. This probably saved them money by being able to negotiate a better contract with the supplier.

It isn't like you have to buy these systems. If you already have a Gameboy and are happy with it. Play it. Don't waste money. I have no plans on picking up a Micro. It only plays GBA games, and I can do that on my DS with pretty screen. The Micro does have a smaller screen, however. Thus games that had a slightly pixelated look to them before look much smoother being forced down. It gives the illusion of a higher res screen.

A plus to the nes SP is that it uses a very bright and well done screen (I've seen it compared to the PSP screen and it was the brighter of the two, though I'm not sure which screen setting the PSP was on). The advantage here is that it plays GBA, GBC and GB games all on a very nice screen.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:36 AM   #14
Daniel4802
That booty too fine

I foresee that Nintendo's next SP model will utilize a single touch screen. Stay tuned...
Old 10-02-2005, 04:08 PM   #15
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

I just bought one (in pearl blue). The screen is much-improved over a regular SP, and at the same price (and $20 cheaper than the GBA Micro), it totally defeats the purpose of buying a Micro, especially since the screen is bigger.