The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 09-23-2005, 12:53 PM   #1
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

The Marionette Review

Well I thought I'd take a stab at it and make some reviews of my own.
My first one is on the Nintendo DS game Yugioh Nightmare Troubadour. Ok I'm going to say this, if you've played the yugioh game for GBA where you can walk around it's very similar to Troubadour. You start off with a deck and depending on which questions you answere in the beginning of the game depends on which deck you get, I thought that was kinda good that they give you a random deck even though they did do something like that in another yugioh game. The gameplay is good, just like the official game. From what I heard there are over 1000 cards to get and they include the newer cards. You can "walk" around in the over-view map and when the circle turns red that means there's someone nearby to duel with. Once the duel begins you do that little rock paper siscors thing to see who goes first. In the battle the top screen is used to display the field in 3D. I thought that monsters were going to be a bit more 3D than they were, but there are some that they show in full 3D. The others are shown from either the front or back and the more or less look like a 3D image than an actual 3D figure. I do like when you defeat a monster how the card explodes. The music in the game could've been better. I was hoping for more hyped up and fast pace music but it wasn't there. And also they added a shop to the game. Instead of having to wait after you battle to get a booster deck, if you have any money you can go to the shop and buy a pack of cards and not just only 1 deck but if you have enough for like 3 or 4 you can buy them unlike in Eternal Dualist Soul for gba where you can only get 1 pack of cards after dueling. They still have that password machine where if you have the little code from the bottom of the card you can input it into the game and then you'll have the card, but they've changed it. I believe it's now 1,000 to get a card from a password. I didn't really like that too much because I have a whole deck of real yugioh cards and I would like to use them in the game, but I have to pay every time I want to get one of the cards. Some things get a little confusing because you have to wait for certain times of the day (in game time, not real life time) in order to advance in the game. I didn't really like that too much.

Gameplay - 8/10
Sound/Music - 4/10
Controls - 7.5/10
Enjoyment - 7.9/10

Would I recommend this game - yes

My next review will be on advance wars dual strike for the ds. I won't make the review until I've played enough of the game to actually know what I'm talking about. I hope you enjoyed the review and if I should add more or take away details feel free to let me know.

List of games I've review (post will be edited for updates) so I won't forget which games I've reviewed.

-Yugioh Nightmare Troubadour
-Maniac Mansion
-Day of the Tentacle
-Yugioh: The Eternal Duelist Soul
-Shenmue
-Rollercoast Tycoon
-Resident Evil 1: Gamecube Remake
-Mario Kart DS
-Zombies Ate My Neighbors
-SMB 2
-Richard Scarry's Busy Town
-The Ring: Terror's Realm
-Virtua Cop 2
-Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2
-Deja Vu
-Mortal Kombat Trilogy (N64)
-Theme Park (Genesis)

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.

Last edited by MarionetteKazuk; 03-28-2006 at 10:03 PM.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 01:13 PM   #2
Seraph
>:3

Danigt! You and I are on the same wavelength I think, you always do things right before im about to do them. As im sitting here at work writing my first review, i look on the forum to see youve already done it. (my big review thread will come soon enough)

Tips for reviews, try not to clump everything into one paragraph, it makes it really hard to read.

Would you reccomend that game to a non-yugio fan? Its not that i hate yugio, i just have never gotten into it.

Last edited by seraph830; 09-23-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
Danigt! You and I are on the same wavelength I think, you always do things right before im about to do them (my big review thread will come soon enough)

Tips for reviews, try not to clump everything into one paragraph, it makes it really hard to read.

Would you reccomend that game to a non-yugio fan? Its not that i hate yugio, i just have never gotten into it.
That's because I am you from the FUTURE!!!! :yikes:

Yeah, I kinda noticed that AFTER posting it, but I didn't want to edit because I didn't feel like redoing it, but yeah, I'll break them up next time into smaller paragraphs.

STEAM

Old 09-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Seraph

Quote:
Im on to you doppleganger >:D Save it for queen Dopplepopolus
Old 09-23-2005, 01:39 PM   #5
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Im on to you doppleganger > Save it for queen Dopplepopolus

STEAM

Old 09-23-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
Seraph

Awnser my question dork, I want your opinion if a non Yugio fan would like this game.

Also, that was a quote from selab 2021, not sure if youve watched it
Old 09-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #7
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

It depends. If they're a non-yugioh fan because they just plain don't like yugioh and hasn't played the game (lets just say they don't like the anime) they may find the game entertaining because they don't have to deal with all of the talk they do in the anime but they can just go straight to the battles.
If someone doesn't plain like yugioh at all (anime and game) then obviously they won't like the DS one.
If someone hasn't played a yugioh game before then I'd say that they would like it because as I said they didn't like the anime but they would enjoy the game itself.

STEAM

Old 09-24-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Danigt! You and I are on the same wavelength I think, you always do things right before im about to do them. As im sitting here at work writing my first review, i look on the forum to see youve already done it. (my big review thread will come soon enough)

That what I said from about a weak ago. You two really think the same way and act the same way. You two are either: A) Twins. B) Same person C) Both.

?.I want to say a complement to both of you, because of your new review threads but I don?t know what to say. The thought that counts anyway. :cool guy:
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 01:12 PM   #9
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
That what I said from about a weak ago. You two really think the same way and act the same way. You two are either: A) Twins. B) Same person C) Both.

?.I want to say a complement to both of you, because of your new review threads but I don?t know what to say. The thought that counts anyway. :cool guy:
Rest assure that we're not twins.... at least I don't think we are and aren't the same person. In fact I think one of the mods can probably confirm that because chances are me and seraph have two completely different ip addresses and live in different parts of the country. But anyways, thanks for the compliment though.

STEAM

Old 09-24-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
Paper exe
Pwnd

I don't need a proof. I well know you are not a lair and aren't stupid to do something like that.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:35 PM   #11
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Ok, I know I said I was going to do my next review on Advance Wars DS, but it may be quite some time until I can beat that game so my review will be on my all-time favorite game Maniac Mansion.

I first played this game way back in the day when gaming was good. I played it the first time and have always loved it. Now on to my half-azzed review

STORY
Ok, the story for this game is very typical but has it's own charm. A girl named Sandy was kidnapped by a family of maniacz that lives in what looks to me to be a Addam's Family-style mansion thus the name Maniac Mansion. There is also a purple meteor that has taken over the family which explains the reason why they are zombie-like. Well Sandy's boyfriend Dave somehow finds out she was kidnapped and is going to attempt to rescue her, the problem he needs help, so Dave and 2 other several of his friends (each who have different skills that will alter the outcome of the game) must go into the mansion and save Sandy and stop the purple meteor from doing his evil acts.

GRAPHICS
Ok, this is back in the day of the NES, so graphically the game isn't all too great by today's standards, but the game has that sort of cartoonish look to it.

GAMEPLAY
The game play was that of a point-n-click type. You move the cursor around with the D-pad and click on different items. Clicking anywhere on the top part of the screen (say for example in a room) will make the character you have walk to that part. Then on the bottom of screen (the black-colored box) there are words such as open, close, turn on, pickup, etc and these are the different commands. If you click on open and then click on a door it will open the door unless there is a key needed to open it.

You can also switch between the characters so if you run into a situation that needs technical skills you can use bernard however bernard is scared of the tentacle so you would have to talk to the tentacle with another character in order to move it out of the way and then use bernard to go by. You can even use the select button to navigate through the most commonly used commands such as open and close.

SOUND
Again this is back in the NES days and the game's sounds consists of chirps. I do have to say that they could've left out the cd players because the songs on them either get annoying or just distract you from the game, but the good news is that you can turnoff the cd players. The other random sounds fit in with the game such as the eerie music they play when you encounter one of the weird edisons (the residents of the mansion).

SCORES
Story - 7.5/10 Mainly because there's actually more than one story depending on which characters you pick.
Gameplay - 8/10 I didn't like how slow the cursor moved during the most frustrating times.
Graphics - 5/10 Even at it's time the graphics weren't too great, but they could've did better.
Sound - 7/10 Same as with the graphics, but I did like some of the music and sounds they played.

Sum Up
I loved this game as a child and still do. The mixture of the story, gameplay, graphics, and sound did go together so I'll give them credit for that. Overall I'd give the game a 7.5/10

I will expect some comments from a fellow maniac mansion fan named Vegetto.

STEAM

Old 10-03-2005, 04:39 PM   #12
Seraph

Stop copying me!!! what the heck! I spend an hour writing a review, check back and yours has a new review today too! Your write your review on people stuck in a mansion, I write my review on people stuck in a mansion!!! Doppleganger

Good review on Maniac Mansion. I saw my freind play it relgiously once. Even though its on the NES it seemed like way too much of a complex game for me. I always did wonder why the family was so weird.

Do they really have CD players in the game? I would think it would have been cassete players
Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #13
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Stop copying me!!! what the heck! I spend an hour writing a review, check back and yours has a new review today too! Your write your review on people stuck in a mansion, I write my review on people stuck in a mansion!!! Doppleganger

Good review on Maniac Mansion. I saw my freind play it relgiously once. Even though its on the NES it seemed like way too much of a complex game for me. I always did wonder why the family was so weird.

Do they really have CD players in the game? I would think it would have been cassete players
Yeah they got cd players (which is kinda weird now that I think about it), but the music on the cd players are annoying as hell. I'm not copying you because we're one being.......WE ARE VENOM!!!!!!

STEAM

Old 10-04-2005, 12:38 AM   #14
Alucard

The joy of Lucas Arts adventure games... Nothing quite like it!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:19 AM   #15
Joe Redifer
Ol!

All I remember about Maniac Mansion is that I wanted to do the chick on the box cover back when I was an extremely horny teenager.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote