The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 09-23-2002, 07:36 PM   #1
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Interview with Ken Lobb

You may remember Ken Lobb from Nintendo. He was a producer for NOA. Killer Instinct and Golden Eye. Remember the the Lobb gun in Goldeneye? He now works for Microsoft as the director of content and planning. Do you think he had input in buying Rare?

Here is the interview from the TGS over at gamespot. The man seems to know what he is talking about. Glad he works for Microsoft now.
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...881208,00.html

Thoughts about the interview?
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 08:22 PM   #2
WINDJAMMERS

He says the GCN's game lineup is as bad as or worse than the N64's. Interesting....
Old 09-23-2002, 11:16 PM   #3
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Quote:
Originally posted by WINDJAMMERS
He says the GCN's game lineup is as bad as or worse than the N64's. Interesting....
He's just a Microsoft's ventriloquist, saying only what Microsoft wants him to say.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:52 PM   #4
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

While I wouldn't go to the extent Bill has in saying things about 'ole Ken. It's pretty obvious what he is doing. He jumped ship because Microsoft offered him more money, not because he believes Microsoft makes better games or cares more about gaming. He gets more money. As an employee of Microsoft of course you can expect him to praise the X-box a bit while down playing the competition. Any idiot can look at the current games lined up for Gamecube and tell that it is nothing like the N64, it's more like the Super Nintendo then it is the N64. Hell, you could even tell that much from looking at the currently released games on it. Honestly when a man makes a point of a game like Colin McRae as one to really look forward to, it's not a system I would generally have interest in.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:59 PM   #5
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Btw, it was the klobb... quick to fire and rarely accurate ;D

Ironic, isn't it?
Old 09-24-2002, 02:00 PM   #6
DBJAY

He also blasted Sega back in the day, and Sony. As with all people, they will put out positive info about their console and blast the competition
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 02:05 PM   #7
Havoc2049

Quote:
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
Btw, it was the klobb... quick to fire and rarely accurate ;D

Ironic, isn't it?
LOL. Good one Kid0_oIcarus. While he would obviously be biased, I do feel he was being honest when he said this:

"But when I was at Nintendo--especially when it was Howard, Peter and Mr. Arakawa--they were such great guys. I have infinite respect for them, they really understood the industry, maybe better than anyone else in the world. Having them leave changed what Nintendo was like, especially when Mr. Arakawa left. I didn?t even look for this job. It was offered to me by a friend. It was a difficult decision, but part of what made it easy for me was that I'm a very hard-core game player and when it came right down to it, the final decision was made because that's what I was playing. I was playing the Xbox. I was spending, from the launch of Xbox and GameCube, 35-40 percent of my time on PS2, 45 percent on the Xbox, and barely touching my GameCube. And knowing what the portfolio was going to be on the GameCube this year and going way out, I decided that I didn't want to do this again. I did it on the N64 and it was hard. Having seen that that was going to be that--or was going to be worse, I said forget it. I'm tired of second-class third-party ports and I'm tired of first-party games spread way out."
Old 09-24-2002, 02:17 PM   #8
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Well, that statement was mostly personal sentiment, and as such even I could relate- if I wasn't happy with where the company I worked for was headed, or if long time friends left the company- I'd probably jump ship too. It sounds like he had friends over at Microsoft too.

What you need to remember is that it's always very hard for one person to know everything going on inside a company- there will always be oversights and changes. Since Ken has left Nintendo- there have been many changes and the reasons that he orignally left for may not even exist anymore.

Besides, he seems happy where he works now- and that matters a lot in life. If you're not happy doing something- do you really need to do it?
Old 09-24-2002, 04:59 PM   #9
DBJAY

He is right about 2nd class third party ports. Developers quite simply are giving the GC the shaft by putting almost no effort into Cube development. Nintendo needs to start insisting on added features in their third party ports, similar to how some of the Xbox games come with additional levels.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 09:11 PM   #10
b0b

I would say Ken was insturmental in MS aquiring Rare he was on the inside for years he'd know the people to talk to, and as we all know when Rare wants to be tight lipped theres no one as good at it short of Nintendo.
b0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:07 PM   #11
grahf

Rare left because Nintendo didn't like or want them anymore and their games weren't really selling on Nintendo's machine. It had nothing to do with this guy.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:01 AM   #12
baratus
Elite Bouncer

I think Mr Lobb is nothing more than an imbecile.
baratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 08:00 AM   #13
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

DJBAY, I've noticed this too- most of the GC ports are just that mre ports, with no enhacements whatsoever.. in fact sometimes the port is sloppy and downgrades the experience! wtf? That's one thing MS is doing, paying people to make their ports with enhancements..

Lobb might've had something to do with the aquisition- he might've seen them out there and said to Billy Gates (Or whoever is running this peanut operation) "My Dark Lord, There is a disturbance in the force. It is as if millions of gamers' hearts have suddenly broken. Now is the hour of their discontent! Pounce, my dark lord! Pounce!"

Yeah.. or something like that anyway.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:24 PM   #14
Havoc2049

Quote:
Originally posted by Kid0_oIcarus
DJBAY, I've noticed this too- most of the GC ports are just that mre ports, with no enhacements whatsoever.. in fact sometimes the port is sloppy and downgrades the experience! wtf? That's one thing MS is doing, paying people to make their ports with enhancements..

Lobb might've had something to do with the aquisition- he might've seen them out there and said to Billy Gates (Or whoever is running this peanut operation) "My Dark Lord, There is a disturbance in the force. It is as if millions of gamers' hearts have suddenly broken. Now is the hour of their discontent! Pounce, my dark lord! Pounce!"

Yeah.. or something like that anyway.
LMAO
Old 09-26-2002, 08:40 PM   #15
Havoc2049

Quote:
Originally posted by grahf
Rare left because Nintendo didn't like or want them anymore and their games weren't really selling on Nintendo's machine. It had nothing to do with this guy.
Is that why Nintendo had Rare working on like 4 or 5 GC projects. Because they didn't want them? You better not buy Star Fox Adventures, it must suck. How many Rare games had been released in the past year, besides SFA? Microsoft has their PR spin, but Nintendo has theirs, when they tried to downplay the importance of Rare. If you include SFA, Rare would have released probably three games on the GC over the next twelve months. Nintendo projected lower profits this fiscal year because of the current console price war. It sounds to me, like Nintendo sold out for a quick buck, in order to bolster profits for this fiscal year. Kameo and the new Perfect Dark probably wouldn't have come out till next fiscal year.

Last edited by Havoc2049; 09-26-2002 at 08:43 PM.