The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 09-05-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
VanillaFire1000
Keeper of the Pie

Mainstream Media hates the Gameboy Micro

http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.as...email=&rp=4774

Quote:
... I'm still searching for a compelling reason to spend $99 on this machine, the smallest portable gaming system I've ever used, when Nintendo itself already offers better products for not much more money...
Ouch.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Well, it is true. Like I have said before, the Gameboy Micro is a perfect way for Nintendo to push their DS because why spend a $100 on one system when you can spend $20 more for something that does the same thing plus more.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Yahweh14518 Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
ryanwho
Banned

the micro is simply competing for the "shique, inferior yet more expensive product" market. PSP needs more direct competition after all.
ryanwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:49 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin
Well, it is true. Like I have said before, the Gameboy Micro is a perfect way for Nintendo to push their DS because why spend a $100 on one system when you can spend $20 more for something that does the same thing plus more.

yup, after I found out they took out being able to play old Gameboy games, I found that to be a waste then
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:50 PM   #5
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

I have a GBA, I'm gonna get a DS (eventually), I see no reason to own a Micro.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
camac
I feel so good.

Theres probably only like 4 people in the world who like the goofy little thing.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:34 PM   #7
QECocoa

and all of them would probably be japanese
QECocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:53 PM   #8
justin_credible

Back when Nintendo first announced they were going to make a "sequel to the gameboy advance" I was under the impression it would actual have exclusive games for it etc... especially if they took out the ability to play GB/GBC games the thing is a complete waste. It gives you less than the DS, less than the original GBA, and it costs more than the GBA and only slightly less than the DS. Why would anyone buy it that isn't half or more retarded?

I agree with the media bashing in this incidence.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:03 PM   #9
WickEd

Why don't we just wait for the sales figures and general public's view towards the Game Boy Micro (despite recent belief, the M is actually capitalized) before we burn our bridges.

If you recall, which given the general stupidity of your replies you would not have been around long enough to, every product in the Game Boy series (and now the DS) has been criticized for one reason or another. The original Game Boy Advance was deemed too under powered. Then came the screen complaints. The SP marked the first time Nintendo had properly attempted a self-lit screen - many felt this was an unnecessary upgrade that should have been implemented to start with. Of course both of these products have breathed new life into the handheld market and continued the huge success of the Nintendo's Game Boy series. The term 'cash cow' would be an understatement. The DS was labelled a gimmick all round and was often compared to the Virtual Boy. Six million units later and everyone is forgetting they ever said that, publications across the Internet alike.

Let's face it: the micro will sell millions of units. In Japan in it's opening week it will outsell every other console. It will eventually settle around the PS2 mark in terms of week to week sales (second place behind DS). It will then fade to obscurity, but not after letting the GBA SP slowly retire and also finally putting the GBA to rest. Not bad for technology that four years ago was being regarded as a repackaged Super Nintendo, itself more than ten years old.

So quit all your stupid comments.
WickEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:08 PM   #10
justin_credible

Not everyone said the "DS was gimmicky" that was a very stupid thing to ever say. The GB Micro is gimmicky if anything.

The DS has provided and especially will continue to provide many awesome, brand new games and gave people a new way to play them with a styllus. The whole "gimmicky" thing probably came from Sony and was passed down to IGN, and then passed down to the millions of mindless sheep.

The GB micro on the other hand, WTF is the POINT? ok if I could at least play the old Gameboy and Gameboy Color games you could have it as a system unlike DS that could play those, but removing that feature makes the system pointless. You can play all GBA games on DS with the much better lighting already. And don't tell me "it's smaller so it's cool" **** that.

The ONLY thing I can thing of that you could do with the GB Micro over the DS is possibly play multiplayer with other people in games such as Mario Kart Super Circuit. (if they don't go and take that out too to make it just a DS minus the capability to play DS games) But regardless Portable multiplayer doesn't appeal to all Gameboy players or even a majority.

Last edited by justin_credible; 09-05-2005 at 10:11 PM.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:20 PM   #11
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

In response to the thread's title, .... Um.... duh?

I mean come on... did you expect the Media to flip over this thing? 100 bucks and all you get is a smaller GBA with a ton of features lost and a chance to rebuy all your accessories.

I mean come on... the Media isn't very DS supportive as is... did anybody really expect them to back another GBA exspecially after the DS price drop??

Besides, with Nintendogs and Advanced Wars out... it's just stupid to waste your money on a over priced "hip savy" GBA.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:45 PM   #12
Keits
Kaizoku da!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_credible
Back when Nintendo first announced they were going to make a "sequel to the gameboy advance" I was under the impression it would actual have exclusive games for it etc... especially if they took out the ability to play GB/GBC games the thing is a complete waste. It gives you less than the DS, less than the original GBA, and it costs more than the GBA and only slightly less than the DS. Why would anyone buy it that isn't half or more retarded?

I agree with the media bashing in this incidence.
There is a sequel to the GBA coming. Micro isnt it. They refered to the next machine in the Gameboy-line as "Evolution" at E3 either one or two years ago.
Keits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:42 AM   #13
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

the DS is a gimmick machine and I came to that conclusion on my own, thank you very much.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:48 AM   #14
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
one thing I love about the touch screen tho, is that it can create tons of buttons basically

games like Metroid and Jump Super Stars prove that, so if you have to switch weapons in metroid, just hit the button and it will go though it just like you would with buttons set to it on a huge controller, so if a game takes up all the buttons for its controls like Metroid does, the touch screen can move some things to the side of the screen and you press it, I like the use of it in Atari Retro games, Lunar Landing had the reset booster button and all the controls on the touch screen so you could sort of control it like a actual ship
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #15
Seska
Slurp

I love the conecept of the DS, Id get one if it werent for my opinion that its jsut a matter of time before Ninty ship a "SP" version of the DS. Nintendo DSSP? Anyway, the only thing I dont like about the DS is that its a bit too clunky for my taste. Slim it down a little, make it appealing like the SP, and Ill get one.

I dont think much of the Micro either, you are paying again for a smaller screen and no GB compatibility. Even if I didnt have a SP, given the choice between the SP and the Micro, I'd choose the SP any day.