The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2005, 09:14 AM   #1
B.B. Gambini
Banned
 
B.B. Gambini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,379
How do Graphics Cards Work?

I got a pretty new computer and ive been trying to play Legacy of Kain - Defiance, and ive read that i need a graphics card that supports Tnl, so im planning on buying one...eventually, so what do graphics cards do for you? do they give your PC a boost or something? im not to sure anyone wanna help me out?
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:45 AM   #2
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?
 
MarionetteKazuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B. Gambini
I got a pretty new computer and ive been trying to play Legacy of Kain - Defiance, and ive read that i need a graphics card that supports Tnl, so im planning on buying one...eventually, so what do graphics cards do for you? do they give your PC a boost or something? im not to sure anyone wanna help me out?
What a graphics card does is handle all of the visuals for a game. The better your graphics card the more it can handle. If you have a newer computer it should've already have a good graphics card. If you upgrade I suggest some such as Gforce, those are always good.
__________________
Currently Playing: Team Fortress 2, Portal, Plain Sight, Sam & Max 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,639
Every card has tnl, texture and lighting. Like Kazuk said, the better your video card, the more it can handle. A good example is FF8 compared to FF10. Big difference. If a psx could run FFX, it would be slow and jerky, the detail would be HEAPS lower, everything would be much more sucky. But with a better video card you can turn up all the graphics effects and make the game look heaps nicer. Graphic cards are EXTREMELY important to a system. You know...one system can only do 50million polygons and the other can do 90million etc. Thats the graphical chip at work.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?
 
MarionetteKazuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,832
Also your monitor plays a good role too in the graphics because if you have a good graphics card, but you're monitor is kinda old (i'm talking back in da day) then the graphics probably won't display correctly on the screen because the monitor is outdated. Gambini I think you seen that happen when i was at ur place trying to play mk4 on that old monitor you had there b4. It showed everything doubled as if the screen was split across and showed the exact same things on the top and bottom.
Also I don't know if they came out with this yet or if they're still working on it, but I heard a long time ago (almost a year ago) that they're supposed to have 2 extreamly good video cards in pcs now so that one card focuses on the bottom part of the screen and the other focuses on the top so this way your display will be a LOT better, which I think it would too because you have the power of one whole (and very good) graphics card focusing all it's power on one part while the other does the same thing on the other part of the screen.
__________________
Currently Playing: Team Fortress 2, Portal, Plain Sight, Sam & Max 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
Nindalf
Registered User
 
Nindalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 11,905
Also, if you eat glue you can see the ghosts of horses that gave their life for your sniffing pleasures.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,639
The 2 card thing is called SLI. Its not as awesome as they made it out to be sadly. Maybe later it'll get more imporoved.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
B.B. Gambini
Banned
 
B.B. Gambini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Every card has tnl, texture and lighting. Like Kazuk said, the better your video card, the more it can handle. A good example is FF8 compared to FF10. Big difference. If a psx could run FFX, it would be slow and jerky, the detail would be HEAPS lower, everything would be much more sucky. But with a better video card you can turn up all the graphics effects and make the game look heaps nicer. Graphic cards are EXTREMELY important to a system. You know...one system can only do 50million polygons and the other can do 90million etc. Thats the graphical chip at work.
mine doesnt have tnl for some reason :thumbdn: , thanks for the help ive been looking at This Card would you say thats a good buy? because i really dont wanna spend 300-400 dollars on a damn card :thumbdn:
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #8
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?
 
MarionetteKazuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B. Gambini
mine doesnt have tnl for some reason :thumbdn: , thanks for the help ive been looking at This Card would you say thats a good buy? because i really dont wanna spend 300-400 dollars on a damn card :thumbdn:
You card does have tnl, all cards have them, otherwise you couldn't play any games at all on your computer. It's just for some reason that game isn't compatible with your card (or visa versa). Look at the system requirements for the game and see if your card is compatible with the game. BTW that card you showed us (from the link) does seem pretty good. But I don't know if you wunna spend $100+ dollars for a card to play only one game on, but then again it'll be good to play other games better with. It's up to u.
__________________
Currently Playing: Team Fortress 2, Portal, Plain Sight, Sam & Max 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
Daos
One Tainted Donut
 
Daos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindalf
Also, if you eat glue you can see the ghosts of horses that gave their life for your sniffing pleasures.
Umm...I thought drugs were illegal

Anyway, I have a GeForce Fx 5200, which pretty much sucks, but it can run KOTOR, Call of Duty, and Battle for Middle Earth quite well, probably due to my Athlon 64 3200 processor. I have to turn quite a few of the bells & whistles off, but it definately doesn't look bad.
Daos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:27 PM   #10
B.B. Gambini
Banned
 
B.B. Gambini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionetteKazuk
You card does have tnl, all cards have them, otherwise you couldn't play any games at all on your computer. It's just for some reason that game isn't compatible with your card (or visa versa). Look at the system requirements for the game and see if your card is compatible with the game. BTW that card you showed us (from the link) does seem pretty good. But I don't know if you wunna spend $100+ dollars for a card to play only one game on, but then again it'll be good to play other games better with. It's up to u.
i looked up the error the game gives me and it says its because i dont have the TNL crap, i dont know what else it could be, i have atleast double what the requirements ask
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #11
welshfreak
: )
 
welshfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cymru (Wales)
Posts: 5,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daos
Umm...I thought drugs were illegal

Anyway, I have a GeForce Fx 5200, which pretty much sucks, but it can run KOTOR, Call of Duty, and Battle for Middle Earth quite well, probably due to my Athlon 64 3200 processor. I have to turn quite a few of the bells & whistles off, but it definately doesn't look bad.

In Wales, solvent abuse is legal.
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #12
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?
 
MarionetteKazuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B. Gambini
i looked up the error the game gives me and it says its because i dont have the TNL crap, i dont know what else it could be, i have atleast double what the requirements ask
Hmm the only thing I can say is either get another graphics card or hold a gun to the computer and just pull the trigger........ I prefer the second method seeing as I'm good with guns
__________________
Currently Playing: Team Fortress 2, Portal, Plain Sight, Sam & Max 104: Abe Lincoln Must Die

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:04 PM   #13
Seska
Slurp
 
Seska's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Rain in Spain
Posts: 1,756
Not all cards have TnL - while all NEW cards nowadays do, if your card is old it might not have it. TnL started becoming standard since Geforce 2. If you cant be arsed to buy a decent Graphics card, dont waste 50 extra bucks for 256mb VRAM. 9600 cards sell for about 50 bucks, and thats all you really should be spending on an outdated model if performance is not an issue for you.

The 9600 ATI isnt too bad, tis like a Geforce 4, you can even play Half Life 2 on it. Just dont expect crisp details and high resolutions with a sooth framerate.
__________________
Meow.
Seska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #14
B.B. Gambini
Banned
 
B.B. Gambini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,379
so the graphics card is what makes the frame rate run smooth and gives the game details? i thought the more powerful the PC the better the games ran, thats what im confused about is it the PC itself that makes the difference or soley the graphics card? or is it both?
B.B. Gambini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:43 AM   #15
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,639
Theres 3 main important things to making your PC good. The cpu, graphics card, and ram. Ram is how much info and textures and info it can store at once so the loading is quicker and there is less stuttering. The cpu is what performs all the calculations, your 3200 is quite good. The video card is what tells the computer what its capable of in graphics terms. If it cant handle certain things you need to lower your graphic settings for the card to handle the game. Use the age old water pipe example. The water is the game, the pipe is the card. The smaller the pipe, the less water will go through at once.

That card you want to buy is extremely week and honestly not worth the money. The thing with a PC is if it can handle alot of games at high detail level, chances are you'll play more PC games and then be glad you have a powerful card. But buying a 4 year old card isnt really the best way to go about it. If you honestly want to upgrade your card, you're going to need double that. If you live in the US, this site is a good one to use..

http://www.pricewatch.com/

Very good search engine for PC parts. Just remember, the better your card is the more years you'll get out of it at full detail without even needing to upgrade. Say you buy am X800XL or 6800GT. You're set for gaming life for a good 3-4 years.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.