The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 04-25-2002, 10:36 AM   #1
piyo

Zettai zetsumei toshi (Do-or-die City)

How'd you like to play a young man who survives a devastating earthquake in the middle of a city? He has to rescue people trapped in buses, buildings, even a ferris wheel, all the while ensuring that he has enough food and water to survive? This is the premise of Zettai zetsumei toshi ("Do-or-die" City) by Irem.

It seems like an interesting game, realistic survival action. To me, this is the only game in the genre, where you can die from plausable events like walking over a heavily destroyed bridge that just might collapse from your weight.

Available in Japan only, as far as I can tell. Actually, it was released today, I think (2002/04/25).

Anybody other than me going to buy this game?

---
piyo... trapped in "virtual ground zero" without water... aaah!
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 02:42 PM   #2
devie

To be honest I've never heard of it. Sounds good though.
Old 04-26-2002, 01:32 AM   #3
typexig
-Drifter-

yeah, i've heard about this game. i've seen some screenshots too.. this game looks cool and i think im going to like this game..i just hope they bring it here to America..=)

-Xig-
typexig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 03:41 PM   #4
Chief Gutti

Piyo

Yeah, seen lots of vids of zettai zetsumei toshi on the two last issues of Gamewave DVD (issue 18+19). The game looks quite interesting to play. I've been thinking of getting hold of this game for a while, and now that you have said that its out I might actually buy it.

Kekkou tanoshimi dana, hehe.
Old 04-27-2002, 03:47 PM   #5
Jagt_Mirage

I'm awaiting this game as well. Interesting concept. The only thing that worries me is that its made by IREM.. hell I didn't even think they still existed. Havn't heard a peep from them after R-Type.. and now they're making something that's decidedly NOT their specialty
Old 04-28-2002, 08:44 PM   #6
piyo

Jagt_Mirage:

I thought IREM made more games, but you're right. They made R-Types but their other games are like puzzle stuff and pachinko stuff. One other thing that's coming out for the Playstation 2 is -u- Underwater Unit. (www.irem.co.jp/u/index.html) It's a 3d-shooter. Novel idea. Maybe they've got a stronger development team these days? Have a look at their current line up.

www.irem.co.jp/game/index.html

---
piyo has always wanted to play R-Types...
Old 04-29-2002, 08:22 AM   #7
hgblob

I just got the game this afternoon. It's billed as a survival action game, and it carries it off pretty well for the most part. We get a chance to meet up with other survivors, and have to help them out, then band together to get to safety.

I do have some issues with the camera, though. It's difficult to get a good viewing angle on the surroudings when the player is moving around. This makes it especially hard to maneouvre when we're put into tight spaces and the floor's buckling under a quake. In these situations, it's hard to see where falling objects are, where we're supposed to go, etc.

There's also a lot of slowdown, especially when we reach the city stage.

I think it's still a pretty good title, in spite of the technical shortcomings. I just like having a game where I don't have to worry about silly things like ammo and who to shoot next
hgblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2002, 07:11 PM   #8
Jagt_Mirage

Yeah I saw Irem's new Underwater Unit game on a mag. It looks interesting, I'll be looking forward to that as well. Unbelievable, two games from IREM in half a year after what feels like a decade long hiatus.