The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 08-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #1
welshfreak
: )

Welshfreak's Reviews- Spamming up a forum near you!

Now even Welshfreak has taken up a scrutinising, picking at and generally complaining about games that some people spend up to 3-4 years making, but once in a while, those games that pop up in our local shops are actually not bad; and then, only then will I shower them blindly with fanboyish praise, claiming it another step in gaming evolution....

But enough of that, you've read the trailer, now for the feature, expect reviews of games I have come across in my 14 years of existance and any that people especially want reviewing, if just to accertain their fanboy lusts for the game in question.

So, while some may dissagree with my opinion (which by the way, i'm entitled too) if you wish to ciriticize, at least make it constructive, because if it is'nt, then it's falling on deaf ears. So thanks for reading this, just hope you read some of the reviews now.

Nintendo 64 reveiws

Goldeneye 64
Super Mario 64

PC reviews

Rome Total War- (Bottom of Page 2)

Last edited by welshfreak; 09-17-2005 at 10:02 AM.
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
welshfreak

Goldeneye 64 Review.

Recently the name Goldeneye has been blemished by EA's lacklustre effort 'Goldeneye Rouge Agent' which tried to change the Bond formula too much, without addressing and changing what was wrong with it in the first place. But the Goldeneye we are talking about is the one that appeared on the N64 in 1997 developed by Rare, the company that we know was sold to Microsoft from Nintendo in 2003. This game has sold millions of copies worldwide to date, and it is not too difficult to know why.

Obviously the plot generally follows the film released in 1995, so to save space, I suggest you go watch it, it?s all the ?save the world? James Bond routine. Except playing the game is probably better that watching the film.

The gameplay of Goldeneye is the part of the game that sold. This is ironic considering how the initial plan from the guys at Rare was to produce an ?On Rails? Shooter. I?m sure a lot of people are more than glad that didn?t happen. Instead, it became a shooter game, in which the player was free to roam within the 18 levels, plus 2 unlockable after extensive play on the Secret Agent and 00 Agent difficulty levels. The interface of the game is quite easy to use in my opinion, with the N64 controller living up to the job of strafing with the yellow arrows and squeezing the Z trigger with the index finger. My only complaint would have to be with the aiming, as pressing L or R to aim and the control stick combined seems twitchy and lacks the pin point control needed for a successful first person shooter. But I found I quickly forgave the so-so aiming because the memorable level designs of Goldeneye more than makes up for it. The quality and the fact that there are stealth and shoot-?em up levels means that things don?t become too stale and boring. Wherever it is roaming about the snowy Servenaya winterland picking off a wondering patrol guard, or shooting to stay alive in the Control Centre, this game has gameplay that will genuinely entertain.

The graphical side of Goldeneye is a hard area to review. Being an old game, 8 years old, the graphics cannot compete with today?s shooters, like Halo 2 or Call of Duty or whatever. But in their day, they were glorious, with people from the development team having their ugly faces pasted onto the soldier?s faces. But it is still very playable as the graphics have aged well, and despite the more than dodgy framerate when you run about with guards filling the screen, it won?t stop your enjoyment of the game. Moving on, the music; an area usually neglected by developers has not been forgotten by Rare.
Each level has different music, mainly punchy techno mixes that really do go well with the levels they accompany. It?s music that you will nod your head to when it first comes on at the beginning of the level sometimes it is a techno version of the original Bond soundtrack. Good stuff. Sound wise, the gun noises are satisfying as you punch 5 rounds into a Marine?s chest then he crumples to the ground in stifled agony. Unfortunately there are not many enemy sounds stored on that 64 bit cartridge and no speech, so people who enjoyed the long, twisty, turning cut scenes from games like Metal Gear Solid are going to be disappointed.

The Health bars and inventory is all standard stuff, it?s easy to manage and the multiplayer is good fun, but sadly not as fun as it used to be because the standards for multiplayer has been risen, with AI bots and online, Goldeneye just has 4 player unadultured joy. But that's not saying it's not fun.

In conclusion(at last!) of this long review, I have to say, that Goldeneye is an extremely competent game, with plenty of unlockables (it took me 6 years to complete) and a great soundtrack and a good multiplayer to boot. Being an old game, it may scare off the pre teens reading, but I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who hasn?t got it (anybody?) because Goldeneye really is golden gaming.

Rating- 8.8/10

Based on my opinion, not maths.

How come shinning a torch in Bond's eyes ripps a chunk of health off?!

Last edited by welshfreak; 08-22-2005 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
Nem
Smash bro!

Well, welcome to the review circle
Old 08-21-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
welshfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
Well, welcome to the review circle
What have I let myself in for?!

By the way, I chose Goldeneye because it is a gaem almost everyone has heard of and played, so it's a nice one to start off with.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
Daos
One Tainted Donut

So what do think of Perfect Dark then?
Daos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:59 AM   #6
Paper exe
Pwnd

Good to see that you are reviewing games now.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:51 AM   #7
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
maybe next I will do reviews!

wait and prepare for it my lackies!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:50 AM   #8
welshfreak

What next people?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 AM   #9
Nindalf

Next you could fix the link in your first post. You have two https.

And review Super Mario 64. Give it a 10 and proof Icarus wrong.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:00 AM   #10
welshfreak

how do I fix it? Sorry to ask, i'm so dumb at computers...
Old 08-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #11
Nindalf

Seems to me like you already did.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #12
welshfreak

Nin- expect a Mario 64 review in the next 72 hours, you an icarus can have a flame war again. heh heh. :cool guy:
Old 08-22-2005, 03:20 PM   #13
Daos
One Tainted Donut

While we're on the subject of Mario, you can review Mario Sunshine as well.
Daos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:23 PM   #14
welshfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daos
While we're on the subject of Mario, you can review Mario Sunshine as well.
Good idea, don't expect it right away, but it will happen very, very shortly, maybe by Friday.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 PM   #15
justin_credible

Can u revew SOL CALIBER 3 and THE NEW SUPER MARIO BROTHERS

I want to know if they'll be good or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote