The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 08-15-2005, 05:34 PM   #1
Seraph
>:3

Dual Core Dillema

I?m in the market to buy a new PC. Now that we have that established lets get on to my dilemma.

I would prefer to buy a proprietary machine. Every geek I talk to says the old "aww man, just build it yourself you?ll save so much money". While I won't argue that it would save money, here is why I don?t want to do that. First of all when you build it yourself it takes a lot of time to buy individual parts, put it all together and pray that it works. I'm not a A+ Certi pro so I don?t know exactly what I'm doing, I just plug everything in and play. And my experience with custom built PC?s has not been fun, they always break. Basically I don?t want to deal with the hassle.

Also Warranty is a big factor in my PC buying process. I know each individual part has a manufacturer warranty, but those are only about 1 year. I love buying a 3-4 year warranty and abusing the heck out of my system with the comfort of knowing if anything dies, it gets replaced for free. My current PC (gateway) gave me a great use of my warranty (probably $1,000 dollars of parts went bad and were covered).

Anyways enough about why I like proprietary systems, lets get on to the issue. My budget is between $1,500 and $2,000. I would like to buy from a strong and trusted PC developer. Alienware systems are really expensive. So I hopped on over to Dell (if you hate dell please spare me the flame, my families had good experience with them). I checked out their Dimension XPS Gen 5 system. Since I'm gutting my current PC, I don?t need things like a DVD burner or big hard drive. I liked what a saw on this machine except when it came to processor. I was a bit confused when I saw the Pentium D. I had never heard of it before so I checked it out, and it sounded really cool. Dual cores mean I could play Unreal2k4 and stream Music from Winamp without hindering performance. But then after further research it seems P4?s out perform these Pentium D?s. And even further the AMD 64 chip isn?t that much more expensive, plus I heard that going the 64 route is WAY worth it.

Dell doesn't offer AMD chips, and if I do decide to go with dell I'm not sure what to get the P4 or the PD. Are there any other proprietary giants out there that make good box?s for under $2000? Please help me!
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
ovejon

IMHO the Pentium D is a waste of money. There is no clear advantage over single core pentium 4 processors. If you want to stick with dell go with the pentium 4. I suggest you to check alienware again cuz i'm looking at very affordable computers.
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:15 PM   #3
Seraph

actually after thinking about it, and going to newegg.com im starting to rethink building the custome PC i was so opposed to. I guess i just have a bad taste in my mouth from my previous experinces.

I still would like some more opinions on the Dual Core stuff
Old 08-15-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Yes newegg is good.
If you go AMD 64, dont get dual core. Thats 2 512kb cores that act seperately
Get the 4000+ or any higher that isnt dual core, and your get 1mb l2 cash that will make basically everything you do run smoother/load faster.
You can easily set up a computer that has a 4000+ processor and a geforce 7800 GT GPU with 2gb of RAM on Newegg for around $1800 (well thats atleast what i am looking at right now) Get yourself an SLI mobo, even if you dont get 2 GPU's so future upgrades on GPU will be cheaper (though SLI is only roughly a 25% increase in power)

Ive also heard alot of good things about Dell's gaming machines, but i dunno if its a better deal then alienware.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
Seska
Slurp

There is not much point to Dual Core CPus atm, as msot games dont fully utilize them, so its a waste of cash. As Mistatee says, get yourself a high end Athlon, and maybe splurge out on some low-latency meory as well as a good GFX card to gain that extra edge of performance.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:51 PM   #6
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

2gb 2 cas lat memory is like $180 (PC3200 DDR400, for AMD64 boards)
In other words more then you need, which is how you need to make your computer, so its not obsolete in a year.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:38 AM   #7
Alucard

Everyone thinks that custom PC means buying parts from everywhere and then putting it together. Not so. Like you just noticed at newegg, you have the choice to select the parts YOU prefer, instead of paying for majority of the good stuff and getting handed some crap aswell. Anything THEY put together for you gets the extra few years warranty. Remember, Dells and other ready made systems are just parts put together. They dont make all those components. Just put them together.

Definately choose your parts. I also dont think the dual core is worth the time either. But the big problem is the dual cores are only like $10-20 mroe then the single cores. If you do alot of work with applications, then maybe dual would be beneficial to you in the long run. But for gaming it doesnt hold a large factor.

I would rethink about your choice of not getting a big hard drive and a DVD burner. Some games out there install to 5gigs. Add this with other games/programs/downloads, and you will run out of space at some stage. Also the more space free on your drive, the better your system will perform. Just because you only fill up 60-80gigs, doesnt mean you should stick to that. And considering the difference between an 80gig and 160gig drive is like $30 or something vague like that, no point in not getting it. DVD burners are also CHEAP and very useful when it comes to backing up your stuff, or doing other random things like music collection, ripping dvds to give to friends so you dont lend them your originals and find out later they SCRATCHED THE **** UP!!! etcetc.

And yes, stay away from pentiums. Waste of money. AMD has better performance and better price. For years they have been far better. I havent bothered with pentium since like 1996.

Also when you've chosen your parts, it would be really cool if you paste them up here before buying anything so we can give you our advice.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #8
Chrono081

I've heard alot of people say AMD for gaming and Intel for multi-tasking. All that stuff about melting Athlons seems to be rubbish, I've never had any problems leaving mine running for weeks at a time. My next system will definitely have an Athlon in it, love the one I have it's served me well for a good five years.
Chrono081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 02:10 AM   #9
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

its more difficult to build a PC in england because were a bit poorly stocked - due to shipping issues... and plus the exchange rate makes parts stupidly expensive- its similar to the scam they pull with ps2 for america vs eu.

my athlon shows it is always running at 116*C

ive been praying for the last 6 months its just a glitch- but the longer it doesnt melt the less afraid i am- prolly just a defective temp sensor reading.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."

Last edited by FinalSolace2; 08-16-2005 at 02:13 AM.
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:22 AM   #10
Alucard

Must be defective. I think at 116 it would of melted and taken your motherboard with it long ago.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #11
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

I have to disagree with Alucard

Pentiums are shown to preform much better in the realms of Music Transoding, Video editing, multi-tasking, and word processing. In toher words, buy AMD if you play games atleast 50% of the time on it. If you only occasionally play games and do any of the things i have listed above, buy Pentium.

I suppose your gonna buy AMD now.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:05 AM   #12
Nindalf

Buy a Pentium III 700 Mhz.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 11:09 AM   #13
Seraph

I'm pretty confident I'm building one by ordering parts from newegg.com now. I'm just scared I'm going to pick out incompatible parts (ex. A video card that won't work with *blank* chipset.)
Quote:
I would rethink about your choice of not getting a big hard drive and a DVD burner.
Remember I said I'm gutting my current PC which has a 160gig slave drive and a dual layer DVD burner. On the topic of hard drives, I was looking at SATA?s. I've always used IDE hard drives in the past, but I heard that SATA is a lot faster. So if I buy and configure a SATA drive to be my primary, will it run/boot/load things faster?

Since most people seem to think Dual Core is a waste of money (nothing really makes use of it right now), I'm going to get an AMD Athlon 64. Good choice? I do some PC gaming from time to time, as well as a ton of Photoshop/Flash work which tends to eat my resources.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
Alucard

Definately SATA is the better choice. And yes, pentium is better for applications. But if you want a system for applications, you buy a Mac.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:57 PM   #15
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

I would own a Mac, but games + mac = not happening.
Then again i would own an AMD but Wallet - AMD = error cannot corralate negative numbers.

Damn me and buying my Pentium 4 a month before 64bit hit 939 permament!!!!