The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 08-02-2005, 03:21 AM   #1
superRSXs

Super Robot Wars Alpha 3

i preordered it from lik-sang.com (i live in southern california) and im waiting for it to arrive...has anyone here played it already? i cant wait for this game to arrive- ive been waiting all summer for this- and it broke my heart when i returned from a month of training (33 days at Fort Lewis, WA) and found that the game was delayed for 2 weeks...

any type of review would be greatly appreciated...hell, if u havent played the game, ur opinions/impressions/anything goes. have at it children!

i thought nothing could top the copa mundial until the Mania came along...
superRSXs is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 03:41 AM   #2
rahzel

Here u go the review ......

i already bought the game last week . this game kick ass .. furthermore . Freedom is in the game ...

Graphics: 9/10

The graphics for the new series in this game is amazing. Original mecha have graphics than are so stunning that they are unprecedented. Veteran players will welcome the return of series like Evangelion, Gunbuster, Macross, and gawk with open jaws at the stunning animation they offer. Banpresto also animated abilities such as Mazin Power and Aggressive Beast. If you thought the Mazin Power animation in Alpha 2 was good, wait till your jaw drops when Mazin Power activates in Alpha 3.

Like Alpha 2, Alpha 3 has a feature called "Dynamic Kills", in which victims of certain powerful attacks will die during the attack's animation, instead of exploding after the animation, if the attack kills them. This feature is so good that one can say that Banpresto has crossed the line between gameplay graphics and actual animation from the respective series!

So you will see the Duel Gundam being cleaved into two pieces by Dancougar's sword attack, and watch the remains of Duel explode separately, just like what happens in the anime. Or you can see the Freedom Gundam take on a whole group of STMCs from Gunbuster and spam-blast them till nothing is left, just like in the anime. These are but two of the "Dynamic Kills" available in this game, and players will have fun looking for more as they fire off one ultimate attack after another!

The older series like Mazinger Z, Getter Robo G and Combattler V either get cleaner looking animations or all new attacks. A pity that Banpresto merely cleaned up and reused the sprites for most of the older series from Alpha 2, I would have given them a full score in this department if they had used completely new sprites. On a bright note, the old "screen-shaking" problem of Alpha 2 has been completely eliminated.

Overall, the graphics are still considered to be top quality, which is why I gave 9 out of 10.

Sounds: 10/10

Excellent BGM and voice acting. Heero was once heard saying "Target locked: X303 Aegis". They actually got the characters' voice actors to voice new lines just for this game!

A very good feature of Alpha 3 is the ability to choose the BGM you want to play for your units. For example, players can choose "Z no Theme" or "Mazinkaiser" as the BGM for Mazinkaiser. This feature allows you to choose songs that you like, rather than being stuck to one song over and over again. Full marks.

Gameplay: 10/10

This is a three-button game, meaning it takes only three-buttons and the left analog controller to play the game. Since the controls are so simple, I shall elaborate on the format, systems and difficulty of the game.

The squad system has been vastly improved in this game. Players have the option to let the computer form squads for you, if they are so inclined. For players who prefer to take a more personal approach, they are rewarded by the sheer amount of new features that make creating and customizing a squad a breeze.

Spells can now be selected together and casted together in battle. No more constant selecting of the unit to activate it's spells! This feature makes it very convenient when you need all members of a squad to cast Flash.

The layout of the game is now sharper and clearer. Alpha 2's layout was already excellent, and it is good to see the developers improving upon it in Alpha 3, rather than letting it stagnate. Difficulty is now computer adjusted via the skill point system, allowing players to access higher levels of difficulty for more challenge.

Combination attacks are also available to certain series, players will have fun seeking them out. Also, there are now three slots for the top aces in your army, as compared to the one slot in Alpha 3. This change makes a subtle difference in deployment, as players will see for themselves when they play the game.

Full marks to Banpresto for this category.

Replayability: 10/10

With 4 main characters who each have their own story to tell, and multiple paths and branchings for each characters, replayability is at an all time high. Certain scenarios do differ from character to character, allowing the player to play all new scenarios that are not available on other characters' paths. Full marks.

Final Verdict

If you are an SRW fan who is not familiar with the storyline of the Alpha series, you can either rent or buy Alpha 3, though it is still recommended to buy it as it is that awesome. If you are a Alpha series fan who followed through the previous three Alpha games, or if you are interested in the Alpha series, wait no longer. It is time, and the appointed hour is at hand. It is time to own your own copy of Super Robot Wars Alpha 3: The End of the Galaxy!
rahzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
camac
I feel so good.

Looks pretty neat, I wouldn't mind giving it a try either.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:36 AM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
its awesome, I love the super robot series, espisically when they do kick ass animations!

I want this one mostly for Macross 7, I love Macross 7 I love the villians in this series, like Sivil, I loved when she appeared in the series destorying all the Valkeries, all you can see of her is a ball of light in space, and when she gets up to Lt. Kimryu, AHHHHHHH ITS A WOMAN! and Lt. Gamlin is like WTF! hehe that was awesome
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote