The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 07-09-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

Modem drivers

anyone got driver problems- my stupid drivers keep breaking down- i hate re-installing them.

is it just me or does everybody have this problem?

if not i'll close this thread- but i'm damn frustrated

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 03:42 AM   #2
Alucard

Generally you install drivers once and thats it. If it keep suninstalling itself and you have to reinstall it because of something then thats sorta weird. Is this a dialup modem or adsl or cable? When was the last time your PC was formatted? When does this problem usually happen and how often?
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 05:33 AM   #3
FinalSolace2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Generally you install drivers once and thats it. If it keep suninstalling itself and you have to reinstall it because of something then thats sorta weird. Is this a dialup modem or adsl or cable? When was the last time your PC was formatted? When does this problem usually happen and how often?
im adsl.

its like every three days, a real wind up.

the PC hasnt been formatted for 4 months now.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
Old 07-09-2005, 05:44 AM   #4
Alucard

Best thing to do is go to the website of your modems model and look through the forums and see if anyone else is having problems. Or email their tech support and ask them about the problem. They should be able to give you more info. Its hard to suggest anything really. Drivers dont generally delete themselves.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #5
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

What kind of modem is it? I've never hear of or seen a modem that needed drivers to work. It should come out of the box ready to connect to a dsl signal no matter what software you have on your computer.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
FinalSolace2

its a dsl sagem one-

the problem maybe that there are two modems connected on the line- but usually they work good together as long as only one in on.

but two weeks later i'm getting probs

the other modem is a BT voyager one-

Old 07-11-2005, 08:06 AM   #7
Seska
Slurp

You might wanna consider investing in a router, particularly if you are using two modems on the same line.

Persoanlly, I connect my PC to the modem through a network cable, so I dont even have to bother with drivers or configurations at all. Plug in, Internet is there. Couldnt be easier, but then again I have cable.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:03 AM   #8
Alucard

The PC might be picking them up and getting confused, so it deletes and tries to fix itself with a proper driver setting and therefore screwing even more. Why do you have 2 modems for? Is one dialup and another broadband?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #9
FinalSolace2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
The PC might be picking them up and getting confused, so it deletes and tries to fix itself with a proper driver setting and therefore screwing even more. Why do you have 2 modems for? Is one dialup and another broadband?
both BB- my pops and one for me.

and we cant be bothered to keep unplugging the modem from each others PC's.

and routers scare me- my areas got some good security hackers- even my building.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
MarionetteKazuk
Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff
What kind of modem is it? I've never hear of or seen a modem that needed drivers to work. It should come out of the box ready to connect to a dsl signal no matter what software you have on your computer.
Actually, i had sbc dsl a while ago and when they sent the stuff in the mail (the modem, etc) I had to install software for the modem to work.

STEAM

Looking to make a Team Fortress 2 team. Pm me if interested.
MarionetteKazuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #11
Alucard

Why dont you just use 1 connection and split it to both PCs? That way you'll only need 1 modem. My friend has his broadband link split across 4 PCs. As long as your connection is fast enough and you both know what you're doing, it works perfectly.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
Seska
Slurp

Another solution would be to get a hub and route the connection to the second PC through the hub. Of course that means if PC 2 wants online acess, PC1 with the modem hooked up to it needs to be on and online. Not ideal but it should work fine.