The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 07-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
sharky~
Out Run Master!

5 Japanese publishers comment on future.

Has this been posted? Sorry if it has!

In the latest issue of Japanese magazine Toyo Keizai, representatives of five major Japanese game publishers commented on how the game market will be changing with the appearance of the next generation of consoles, and how they plan on adjusting their business. The magazine interviewed executives from Square Enix, Namco, SEGA, and Koei, which each had different views.

The biggest news came from Konami's Michihiro Ishizuka, who revealed the Metal Gear Solid publisher is the latest to sign on to make an Xbox 360-exclusive game. "We will release a new Metal Gear as a flagship title for the PS3 and are developing an original product for the Xbox 360," he told Toyo Keizai.

The following is a translation of the key quotes by each of the representatives.

Youichi Wada, president of Square Enix:

"E3 was all about next-generation console specs. That's important, but what's also important is the kind of [online] services that will be provided. Microsoft is the only one that presented a service model with Xbox Live. They're one step ahead in that point... Whether we like it or not, [publishers] will need to completely change our corporate structure, development methods, and sales methods. The market will become larger, but [publishers] won't succeed unless they understand the changes in the market, and have the ability to adapt to them. There are only a few major companies in the movie industry. Companies in the game industry will also consolidate into a limited number of major publishers. The appearance of the next-generation game consoles will be the momentum behind the change."

Michihiro Ishizuka, president of Konami's computer & video games division:

"[We will] provide one or two flagship titles for each machine, which will take advantage of their capabilities as next-generation consoles. Most of the titles that don't require full use of technology will be released on multi-platforms, including PC. We will need to narrow down on the number of titles that we release. We will release a new Metal Gear as a flagship title for the PS3 and are developing an original product for the Xbox 360. In April, we absorbed our three development studios that are listed in the stock market, which has allowed us to prepare for development for the next-generation consoles. Our aim has been to create a framework where we can share our knowledge base, and strengthen on the development towards major titles."

Yoichi Haraguchi, company vice president of Namco:

"Our business merger with Bandai will allow us to supplement each other. Our game genres do not collide, so our core users won't overlap. One thing that's very clear about the next generation of consoles is that development costs will be extreme. Up until now, we spent a lot of effort drawing the graphics, but with the next-generation consoles, everything--such as explosions--will all be done with calculations. The method of development will change. The volume of programs will increase, so porting titles to other hardware will become difficult. Characters' [facial] expressions will be more realistic, so if the translations are wrong, it will look weird to people playing in other languages. The localization will cost more than before. From our past experiences [with consoles], we believe that one winner will take all in the Japanese market, and the publishers will have to go with that winner. The American market will be a race between multiple consoles. The European market will fall between Japan and America."

Masanao Maeda, senior executive manager of SEGA:

"There's no mistake that development costs will increase for next-generation consoles. But SEGA doesn't see it as a big risk. The competitive landscape will dramatically change during the shift to the next-generation consoles, so it will be a big chance [for us]. SEGA stopped producing its own console in 2001, so we were about two years late in entering as a game publisher. That had its effects until the end. This time, it will be a chance for us since we can start from the beginning. For the past number of years, we have released Japanese-developed games in the overseas market. While some of the games were hits, many Japanese games don't sell overseas. Our basic strategy is to develop games for the overseas market. We have already established a structure for that. We aim to become one of the top three [publishers] in both America and Japan. It may be seen as difficult, but SEGA is still an acknowledged brand in America, so it should be a smooth road."

Kiyoshi Komatsu, president of Koei:

"The entertainment industry will grow with the appearance of the next-generation consoles. When looking at a worldwide scale, the market will continue to expand. In addition to Japan, America, and Europe, the market in China, India, and Eastern Europe will grow in the future. We should welcome a situation where there's multiple gaming platforms, including PC. Hardware makers and software makers grow up the market together, but their interests can clash with each other, such as with licensing fees. It's not a good environment when one [console] maker has monopoly over the market. It's best to have a situation where publishers have the option of choosing another console if one company isn't favorable. Development costs will rise with the appearance of the next-generation consoles, but there's no way that raising costs by 10 times will also raise profits by 10 times. Therefore, it's important to have control over development. We have the knowledge required for development management, and in addition to that, we will also strengthen our development in overseas [studios]. Whereas other publishers will need to increase their development funding by two times, we will create a [development] structure where we can do it with just an increase of 10 percent."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06...s_6128306.html

Old 07-02-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
We will release a new Metal Gear as a flagship title for the PS3 and are developing an original product for the Xbox 360.
This X360 hype is getting out of proportion. Where exactly does he say they are developing a new Metal Gear for X360?!
Talk about misinterpretation. He obviously meant a new game made especifically for the Xbox. Not a new Metal gear game made especifically for the Xbox.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
Abaddon
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
Where exactly does he say they are developing a new Metal Gear for X360?!
Talk about misinterpretation. He obviously meant a new game made especifically for the Xbox. Not a new Metal gear game made especifically for the Xbox.
The guy said that the Metal Gear publisher was the latest to sign on to the x360 with an exclusive game [like Sakaguchi and the others], not that they were bringing a new Metal Gear for the x360.

Where exactly do you see the article specifying that anyone was reffering to the x360 exclusive title as a Metal Gear game? My eyesight must suck because I didn't quite catch that.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #4
Nem
Smash bro!

i was commenting on this:
Quote:
The biggest news came from Konami's Michihiro Ishizuka, who revealed the Metal Gear Solid publisher is the latest to sign on to make an Xbox 360-exclusive game. "We will release a new Metal Gear as a flagship title for the PS3 and are developing an original product for the Xbox 360," he told Toyo Keizai.
I suppose you could say this one is subject to interpretation has well. But is "biggest news" that Konami is developing a game for X360? Its clear he misunderstood the thing and thought the new title was a metal gear one. Thats the way i saw it anyways.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #5
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

i was reading the new Play magazine and MGS4 is going to have Raiden and Meryl back in it. i hope it is good. On another note, i wish the gaming industry was not going in the direction of online gaming. online gaming has never interested me and it saddens me they are going into that direction. i know it is the "wave of the future". but i still wish it was not going to happen. when i had xbox live for 6 months it bore the living crap out of me. i found it not very fun and boring. i would prefer a new Halo then 9 new verses maps.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:44 AM   #6
Nem
Smash bro!

OMG, i completely agree with you SavedFromSin. Online is highly overated these days. Its really not that much fun. Also after playing a game with online fees and one without, i really get the feel online is meant to be played for free. Everyone seems to be more loose when thats the case.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:47 AM   #7
Abaddon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
OMG, i completely agree with you SavedFromSin. Online is highly overated these days. Its really not that much fun. Also after playing a game with online fees and one without, i really get the feel online is meant to be play for free. Everyone seems to be more loose when thats the case.
But it can be! Only problem is because it has sucky online games running around now, but the ability to play with friends who aren't there, be able to talk to them while playing against them or with them, but in more interesting games, not just lame-o mmo's, but full out deep action games and such.

The possibilities are endless! If me not being an avid online gamer can see the beauty in an awesome online game, why can't you huh? HUH?! ANSWER ME!
Old 07-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
welshfreak
: )

It may sound old fashioned, but i enjoy inviting a few mates around, getting 4 controllers out, and playing some fun 4 player games for a while, like timespliters or pro evalution or whatever, rather than playing with some total loser who shoots you in the back on Halo 2. That's just my opinion....
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:24 AM   #9
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

Quote:
Youichi Wada, president of Square Enix:

"E3 was all about next-generation console specs. That's important, but what's also important is the kind of [online] services that will be provided. Microsoft is the only one that presented a service model with Xbox Live. They're one step ahead in that point... Whether we like it or not, [publishers] will need to completely change our corporate structure, development methods, and sales methods. The market will become larger, but [publishers] won't succeed unless they understand the changes in the market, and have the ability to adapt to them. There are only a few major companies in the movie industry. Companies in the game industry will also consolidate into a limited number of major publishers. The appearance of the next-generation game consoles will be the momentum behind the change."
When considering the # of online gamers arestill in the minority in comparison to offline gamers, I think this is wishful thinking based on the desire to increase profits through added fees.

The only thing he's right about is the consolidation of the gamig industry, but that's something we've already been seeing for the past coulpe of years
Old 07-03-2005, 11:40 AM   #10
Abaddon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshfreak
It may sound old fashioned, but i enjoy inviting a few mates around, getting 4 controllers out, and playing some fun 4 player games for a while, like timespliters or pro evalution or whatever, rather than playing with some total loser who shoots you in the back on Halo 2. That's just my opinion....
I would do that to, but I'd only invite my hated enemies since anyone I invite to my residence instantly gets torn into pieces by my vicious cerberus.

Last edited by Abaddon; 07-03-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:34 PM   #11
sharky~
Out Run Master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshfreak
Yeah, I do that too, how ever my choice of games is different,
Wouldnt catch me playing a football game!
Mario Kart,
Chu Chu Rocket,
Puyo Pop fever,
Halo,
Streets of Rage 2,3,
Powerstone 1,2,
Bust-A-Move
or Guilty Gear X2 Reloaded
Is the fav's for multi player half drunk half stoned action.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #12
BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin
i was reading the new Play magazine and MGS4 is going to have Raiden and Meryl back in it. i hope it is good. On another note, i wish the gaming industry was not going in the direction of online gaming. online gaming has never interested me and it saddens me they are going into that direction. i know it is the "wave of the future". but i still wish it was not going to happen. when i had xbox live for 6 months it bore the living crap out of me. i found it not very fun and boring. i would prefer a new Halo then 9 new verses maps.
I agree, I wish the whole online gaming thing would just go away!
BGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:47 PM   #13
Nem
Smash bro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon
But it can be! Only problem is because it has sucky online games running around now, but the ability to play with friends who aren't there, be able to talk to them while playing against them or with them, but in more interesting games, not just lame-o mmo's, but full out deep action games and such.

The possibilities are endless! If me not being an avid online gamer can see the beauty in an awesome online game, why can't you huh? HUH?! ANSWER ME!
Online has many downfalls derived to every idiot you find online. The enjoyment then depends also on how the game is designed. In FFXI you're completely dependant of every party member that may just leave the party hanging or just has an incredibly annoying personality. At that time, the game is playing you not the other way around. Thankfully in guild wars the problem aint has bad due to henchman. I believe if there were henchman in FFXI the game could be much less of a pain.
Anyways, the way that online is overrated these days with all the "whos not online will lose the console wars" is a gross exageration. Every game should be designed for the person who buys it (1 player), the multiplayer online mode should come has an extra. Segas aproach with PSU seems pretty reasonable in that regard. The problem in all this are the fees. Its retarded to keep paying to play a game you have already payed for. It creates an unecessary pressure to play the game cause you're paying for it and not cause you feel like it. NCsoft's aproach with Guild Wars is the right one. Let ppl buy the game and play for free since they already payed for it afterall. Make expansions to expand on the experience and cover the costs.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:03 PM   #14
Abaddon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem
Online has many downfalls derived to every idiot you find online. The enjoyment then depends also on how the game is designed. In FFXI you're completely dependant of every party member that may just leave the party hanging or just has an incredibly annoying personality. At that time, the game is playing you not the other way around. Thankfully in guild wars the problem aint has bad due to henchman. I believe if there were henchman in FFXI the game could be much less of a pain.
Anyways, the way that online is overrated these days with all the "whos not online will lose the console wars" is a gross exageration. Every game should be designed for the person who buys it (1 player), the multiplayer online mode should come has an extra. Segas aproach with PSU seems pretty reasonable in that regard. The problem in all this are the fees. Its retarded to keep paying to play a game you have already payed for. It creates an unecessary pressure to play the game cause you're paying for it and not cause you feel like it. NCsoft's aproach with Guild Wars is the right one. Let ppl buy the game and play for free since they already payed for it afterall. Make expansions to expand on the experience and cover the costs.
Yeah there are some idiots in some of my college classes too, there are alot of idiots in the stadium when I go watch the Yankees, there will always be idiots whos sole purpose is to enjoy watching someone else's experience dimished. But to deny online is to deny a method of multiplayer that is in many ways great, I don't think its overrated at all. If you're a next gen console maker, and you don't have some awesome online going on, then you're fucked, as you deserve to.

Online gameplay allows me to get crushed in chess by my father who lives in another borough, Online gameplay allows me to play co-op with friends online in free MMO stints, only problem is the fucking games are boring as f-ck, they fucking improve on that and I'm gonna whoop DarknessTears ass so bad (count on it! ) Online gameplay allows me to play Gin and Canasta with my aunt and uncle in Argentina, and Online gameplay on xbox live allowed me to hear BlindMaphisto's putrid carolina accent that has scarred me to this day while he whooped my ass in SNK vs Capcom 2. Lets be honest though, there are games that out of the box are designed for multi-player, A company Nintendo knows this all too well, since they designed some of the best multi-player skews out there. Imagine if they used thier creative muscle to create a game that would truly benefit the idea behind the online gameplay instead of just 4 friends playing on a screen.

I'm not an avid online gamer, I don't use it as much as lets say FPS player Jake, or MMO Player Bob, or Xboxlive gamer Don, but I want it there, I want games that are fun to have that ability, I want being able to play some random fool when I feel like it, I want to see what Ninja Gaiden online would be like, or a Dynasty Warriors, or even a Strategy RPG, like an online chess session.

Everything you explained that could be a problem is something that all it takes is fixing, and in some ways are fixed, those aren't deep rooted problems with the idea of online gaming, those are little quabbles you have with the idea that aren't systemic problems with the idea itself, but things that just haven't been gotten around to in some of the games you've played, that I'm sure have been addressed in others. You're telling me that those are the worst features with online gameplay? HAH! Thumbs down to you, sir!
Old 07-03-2005, 11:56 PM   #15
BenX4

I definitely will side with Haraguchi-san on what he said about the Japanese and American markets.

One major theory that I have been throwing around is that if Nintendo's Revolution really turns out to be something as kick-ass or more to the console market, like DS was to portable, Nintendo could easily take Japan by storm. The price margin in comparison to other 2 systems certainly would only help it in that regard.

As for America, it will more than likely be Microsoft over Sony, UNLESS the Blu-Ray really does turn into a new standard, instead of a fad like both laserdiscs and now UMDs are looking to be. I just see it with the Green and Black flag raised over America, because not only will the new Box will launch first, but it will also stand to be much cheaper than PS3. People (especially American gamers it seems) like to be trendy, but not a lot will be willing to spend that much on Sony's new toy. It's not going to be the same story as years ago, when the DVD functionality helped pushed sales.

So, with that in mind, I could very much see the next generation becoming something more like the days of the 90s, where it's more of a thing of East(Nintendo) and West(Microsoft). Unless Sony is willing to shape up in some areas...it'll be their turn to face the "3rd console curse" that I'm sure Atari, Nintendo, and Sega can willingly share stories about...
BenX4 is offline   Reply With Quote