The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 09-18-2002, 03:55 PM   #1
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Nintendo To Release Back-Lit Game Boy Advance

According to UK website CVG, Nintendo of Europe is currently testing back-lit Game Boy Advance consoles. When contacted, Nintendo issued a firm no comment. Several third-party insiders have confirmed that Nintendo of America has been testing the new GBA since this spring. The new back-lit GBA is expected to ship in Japan by December of 2002.

Old 09-18-2002, 04:20 PM   #2
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

I would believe this. It would be a smart move on Nintendo's part to do this unless it's going to cost a lot of money. Pesonally I am willing to pay up to $120 for a backlight GBA. That is almost twice the price of the current GBA at $69. Plus I'll bet it would consume a lot more battery juice. Probably requiring 4 AA batteries now instead of 2.

This is what I've been waiting for since the release of the GB. A backlit system where I don't have to kill my back and eyes under a reading lamp to play a game.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 06:07 PM   #3
Pikachu

It was rumored for several months, I heard it will be out simultaneously with the Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire in Japan in late November...
Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:22 PM   #4
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pikachu
It was rumored for several months, I heard it will be out simultaneously with the Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire in Japan in late November...
I heard it too. At Gaming-age.com I believe.
Anyways, No matter what happen, I'll wait for a GBA with backlight support. I still care about my sensible eyes...well.... until Final Fantasy Tactics is out... I won't care much!
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 12:44 AM   #5
Zakko

Sounds cool! I really have good care of my eyes because my eyes are importants because I am deaf! Anyway. I think I should get the GBA with Pokemon Ruby or Sapphire! Sounds really cool to me! But I was used to hate the Pokemon but right now I feel like Pokemon more. Because there's no reason for me to hate Pokemon. So I better sell my GBA after the back-lit released!:big smile
Zakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:55 AM   #6
crazytaxinext
Shazbut!

It's nice if they release it but I won't bother. I've never had any trouble with my existing GBA.
Now Playing: Legend Of Zelda Wind Waker
My Collection: www.videogametracker.com/~crazytaxinext
crazytaxinext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 07:12 AM   #7
Seska

You can always fit your GBA with a Afterburner, though its a bitch to install. Results are VERY good though, power draw sint that much greater, you can even play the damn thing in absolute darkness!
Old 09-20-2002, 10:29 PM   #8
Zakko

Well I hope there's no 4 batteries! I hope it would be just same the regular Game Boy Advance.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:06 PM   #9
WINDJAMMERS

It would definitely need a bunch of bateries if you wanted them to last more than six hours.
Old 09-21-2002, 01:08 PM   #10
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

I'm sure there'd be someway to turn off the light to conserve da juice.
Old 09-21-2002, 03:13 PM   #11
Zakko

Should BE!
Old 09-22-2002, 05:34 AM   #12
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

I'll believe it when I hear the offical word. This rumor has been flying around for ever. Not in that form, but the idea has. Now if you desperately must have a backlit Gameboy Advance then you could try searching for an lcd display that matches the GBA specifications with the exception of being backlit. You can buy digital camera screens from various places. I do believe however that the GBA screens are custom made to Nintendo specifications. If you could however find one that matched but was also backlit via LED more then likely. Then you could replace your old GBA screen. In theory anyway. You would simply have to add in a power source, which could be done the same way as the Afterburner. The problem of course, is finding such a screen. If the resolution or pixel display is different it could produce an odd picture. There is another option in where you could use a TV Advance add-on with a mounted console LCD screen. The conversions needed then are far more complex and the size is less then desirable. But I have seen some instructions to do so. It was rather interesting, but fairly useless I think.

Oh yes, and on the issue of battery power. With newer technology the backlit screens conserve power for more effectively then the days of the Gamegear or Lynx. The after burner with everything put to max will last for roughly 10 hours off of two double a batteries. An actual LED backlit display I believe would be more power managable. You will not get the 20 or so hours you do now, but you will at least get half of it without trouble, and more then likely even more.

Last edited by IoriYagami n8; 09-22-2002 at 05:37 AM.
IoriYagami n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 08:12 PM   #13
Zakko

I see. I see. Well I hope there's should not be like 130 dollars! I hope it would be fair price.;)
Old 09-23-2002, 05:23 PM   #14
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

How about they just use a better screen. The one on the Neo Geo Pocket Color is nice and bright. The NGPC last 40 hours on two AA's. It seems like Nintendo could do something better.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 01:22 PM   #15
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Of course they can do better- but the question is can they do better AND still make a profit on the hardware at the same time?