The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 06-05-2005, 07:31 AM   #1
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Something's wrong with my PC

Just recently I purchased a new HP Pavilion (Pentium 4 Processor, 200GB HD, 512MB RAM, Windows XP, etc.) and everything was working fine for a few days ...until yesterday. I had turned on my PC and everything was fine; my desktop was on the screen. I began cleaning off my TV and stereo (like anybody who cares about their stuff does frequently) and during that period the PC went to its screensaver. After I had finished cleaning I went over to my PC and moved the mouse to bring back up the desktop but instead of the desktop showing up all I saw was some computer jargon I couldn't understand, so I shut off my PC and turned it on again. This time, however, I heard a loud, annoying noise emanating from the PC itself (not the speakers or the fan). It's like a loud ringing noise, almost like a phone, and it does this three times while on the blue HP invent screen, then it goes black and says thus exactly:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

Only problem is that the system recovery utility is built into the PC itself -- it didn't come with a seperate backup disc. If I press anything, it just repeats the message, so I need to restart my PC. On the blue HP Invent screen, I am given three options in the bottom-right of the screen, those being:

"[Esc=Boot Menu] [F1=Setup] [F10=System Recovery]"

The boot menu is what's currently up. If I go into setup it presents several adjustable options for me but nothing I've tried helped. System Recovery just brings me back to the black screen again with the message shown above. I'm at a loss.

I tried to call 1-800-HP-INVENT for their "direct, knowledgable assistance," or so it says on the computer itself along with a picture of some smiling woman who's clearly from India, at the ready to make things even more complicated and annoying, 50% due to not being able to speak/understand English properly and the other 50% due to complete incompetence and lack of understanding (thanks to greedy scumbag f***face CEOs/corporates outsourcing what should be American jobs). Needless to say, I got no help whatsoever.

You people seem to be tech-savvy and smart, so I thought I'd ask some of you for advice. What do you think is wrong with my PC? Thank you.

(*sidenote* I do not have it connected to any internet service; this computer cannot get viruses nor spyware.)

Last edited by Icarus4578; 06-05-2005 at 07:40 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
Nindalf

Fixes everything.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

When it goes to that black screen and has that boot device message, try pressing Ctrl Alt Del, it always solves everything.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:02 AM   #4
Alucard

Bloody HP. How long ago did you buy this PC ad why didnt you go with AMD like all my countless posts in the past stated!

Not sure exactly what could be wrong. Its alot harder to figure out a PC problem without being infront of it. Sounds like its not picking up your HDD properly, or could be your windows folder is corrupted, which could then lead to either HDD corruption or maybe virus deleting files, or....I'm really not sure. The first thing I'd do is format your CD drive and reinstall windows and all the drivers again. I guess thats what your restore CD would be used for that you get with your PC. Sometimes using System Restore from the PC could do little if its really screwed, and so formatting the HDD and then using the CD system restore would work better.

But if its fairly new then your warranty should still be up and you can take it to a local place that deals in fixing HP products. Not sure exactly what else to suggest. The beeps are not a good sign. Maybe your board has gone fritzy or something.

Future refernece, have a PC put together, not bought from a company like HP or ACER or something.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Listen to Alucard. My brother bought an HP about 2 months ago, and after a month the dvd burner broke and he had to have it replaced. I also think something went wrong with the power supply.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:58 AM   #6
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Check the HDD settings int he bios. They may be messed up. Worst case scenario, your bios have become currupt, though that's not terribly likely after only a weak of use. What kind of harddrive is it?

And for the most obvious check, make sure there isn't a disk in the drive.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
ovejon

I believe you have a faulty hard drive. The noises your computer made and the blue screen of death leads me to believe so. You should send it back to get it fixed.
ovejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
Reality
Sin and Punishment

The only choice he really has is to send it back. With out any bot-up disk, he is pretty limited to his own trouble shooting.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse-try and borrow one.

remove your extra peripherals and your cabled mouse and keyboard-

making sure the wireless ones are plugged in.

if it wont boot properly still it could be your modem- if you deoptimised itfrom factory settings then if you didnt have the right protection some optix pro trojans can target your PC quickly- especially if its a medium new modem. the buzzing sound is one of the functions of an optix pro piece of code. try disconnecting your modem and rebooting. but i doubt anyone if trying to **** with you.

other than that its very possible it can be the HDD- and is the onei hatethe most- but theres a few problems you can find a solution to.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #10
Alucard

I'm not exactly sure where you found that wireless/modem/trojan theory, but I think you probably need to avoid it.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Thanks for the advice. I went and replaced it today. The new tower works fine (I hope it stays that way). The reason I went with an HP was because my unle also uses one and it's worked fine for years.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #12
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
I'm not exactly sure where you found that wireless/modem/trojan theory, but I think you probably need to avoid it.
its very real. when you learn about optix and trojans you will see what i'm saying but i cant divulge how much i know- optix is a very sensitive subject with the wrong people.....

ok i'm gonna take my amnesia tablets now... :???:

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:37 AM   #13
Vegetto
Alive

well hey there spiff long time no see
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:16 AM   #14
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

i recommend dell over everything (except apple). i didnt care for them at first but since i got my laptop and it rocks.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:35 AM   #15
Alucard

I also would say Dell would be the better choice when getting a ready made system. But NOTHING beats a custom setup. At least you'll be paying for what you want, not paying more for stuff you dont want.