The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 05-29-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
herzogzwei

Unhappy So, what the hell happened to Daytona USA Live aka Daytona 3 for Xbox ?

actually there were several names for supposedly the same game

Daytona USA 2003
Daytona USA LIVE
Daytona USA 3

then it was Daytona USA 2004 and Daytona USA 2005, iirc

Daytona USA 3 / LIVE, etc was meant to hit arcades using SEGA's NAOMI 2 or Chihiro (Xbox-based) arcade board in 2002 or 2003 and be available at home on Xbox by, IIRC, the end of 2003.

check out these articles (some of you will probably remember these)

http://www.casbox.com/Stinger/Sting104.html

Quote:
(see previous REPORT for all available information on Virtua Cop 3, Daytona 3 and Out Run 2)

Daytona USA 2003 (Naomi 2 - Amusement Vision)
Little information other than the game is on the horizon, and that it will hope to build heavily off of SEGA's plans for a network tournament system, which could see players on home and arcade systems competing in real-time via a very fast 'Live' connection server.

http://news.spong.com/x?art=3877
Quote:
World Exclusive: Daytona 3 to launch on Xbox Live
AM2 racer sequel in the works for Microsoft.

14th Oct 2002

We can exclusively reveal that the next instalment of Daytona, AM2?s acclaimed racing series, will be released exclusively for Xbox and will have a heavy online slant.

This thrilling news comes as the last instalment of Daytona, released for Dreamcast, had its online support withdrawn around the world.

Yu Suzuki?s team is already hard at work on the game, which is currently carrying the name Daytona Live, though this is likely to change. We can also tell you that Sega and Microsoft are working to release the game in mid-2003 to late 2003.

Although the game will initially be an Xbox exclusive, a PlayStation 2 version and a GameCube version will follow. It is known that Sega is looking into the possibility of implementing cross-platform online racing as part of its console agnostic online stance.

The content of Daytona is expected to be a much enhanced version of previous games, with a load of new tracks, several old favourites and fully customisable cars, with players able to design and re-design their racer?s shell.

Leagues and organised one-off events are also planned for the game.

We?ll bring you a full update as soon as we can and, as ever, remember where you read this first!

http://www.casbox.com/Stinger/Sting98.html
Quote:
Next Daytona on the Grid!

The lack of a strong International driver, especially in a market hungry for new products, is a sorry state. To retrofire this situation SEGA have been hinting at a number of new developments on the horizon. In particular one major new development.
The Yu Suzuki managed AM2 team has revealed that they are working on Daytona 3 (tentatively name Daytona Live). The game is targeted squarely at the Xbox console and its 'Xbox Live' network playing system.

Regarding amusement application of Daytona 3, especially in light of other SEGA sequels missing arcade development (Ferrari F355 Championship 2, Crazy Taxi 2 and Monkey Ball 2) no official statement has been made on a release date for a arcade version, though a late 2003 date has been intimated for the Xbox version.
(note that, it was not *just* Spong.com reporting on this Daytona game, but a much better source first and foremost: The Stinger Report)

I was pretty displeased, to say the least, when Daytona Live never showed up on Xbox.

the only taste of Daytona that we've had on Xbox are the bonus tracks in OutRun2: it's got the 3 linked tracks from Daytona USA 2: Power Edition.

but that make up for the fact that there wasn't a proper port of Daytona USA 2: Power Edition + Battle on the Edge, or Daytona USA LIVE (Daytona 3) or the original Daytona USA.

sigh.

maybe for Xbox 360?
herzogzwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
justin_credible

Oh you didn't hear? Sega tries to do the opposite of what people want now, for their own personal satisfaction. They sit in a room drinking hard liquor and smoking blunts, and they just come up with decisions that make no sense and laugh.

"Shadow the Hedgehog, ahahahahahhaa"

"Dudes, well do a Virtua Fighter RPG even though absolutely no one demanded it. Why? cause F*** em, that's why"

"Nightshade ROFLMAO" /CEO Falls out of chair

Last edited by justin_credible; 05-29-2005 at 01:23 PM.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
sharky~
Out Run Master!

Justin Credible, that was pretty funny,
But Im a SEGA fanboy and have too hate you now.. Im sorry!

Anyway, herzogzwei
SEGA Europe have just put togeather a Raceing game studio
To handle all there existing raceing franchises along with new ones.
Cross your fingers a hope they develope it.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I'm at the point now where I hope most new stuff is developed for the next-gen consoles, including Daytona 3.

Buy! Buy! Buy! That is my mantra. I am a slave to the capitalist pigs, and I love it!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 03:38 PM   #5
herzogzwei

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky~
Justin Credible, that was pretty funny,
But Im a SEGA fanboy and have too hate you now.. Im sorry!

Anyway, herzogzwei
SEGA Europe have just put togeather a Raceing game studio
To handle all there existing raceing franchises along with new ones.
Cross your fingers a hope they develope it.
sharky:

I heard that studio was being geared towards next-generation versions of Sega Rally and Craxy Taxi. hmmm.. I very much hope that some Sega-owned studio is doing a new Daytona -- be it Amusement Vision, AM2, Digital Rex or the new studio in Europe.

....as well as ports of Daytona 2 and Scud Racer for a classics collection release. :yikes:
Old 05-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Daytona 3 will appear on Sega's New System that they forgot to unveil at E3

Properly Titled

"Prayer Destroyer"
Sega will boast extreme power using 4, yes FOUR, GeForce 2s and Seven, Yes you heard right, 7!, Celeron 1.8ghz processors. This machine is special devised to emulate old Sega games, as well as play all newones, which are basically model changes to existing SEGA games. (IE Shadow the Hedgehog is Sonic from Sonic1 but all black)

Do to the extreme costs of re-entering the market, Sega's new console will retail at $250, and the games will average around $100.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:03 PM   #7
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Daytona 3 will appear on Sega's New System that they forgot to unveil at E3
I can just see the execs at the Sega booth now:

Exec #1 - "Hmmm... it looks like we brought everything, but why does it feel like we forgot something?

Exec #2 - "I feel the same way. What could it be? Damn this is a really nagging feeling."

Exec #1 - "I hate feeling like I have forgotten something, especially when I can't remember what I forgot. It's hell!

Exec #2 - "Oh sh!t!!! We forgot to unveil our brand new Sega system!!!!!!!"

Exec #1 - "Oh crap that's right!!!!!"

Exec #2 - "Oh well. It happens to everybody."
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
justin_credible

Like I said above, too many blunts to the head.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:44 AM   #9
burpingcat
Really Enjoys The Magic Box

Crazy Taxi probably wont get a (much unwarranted) part #4 until The Offspring comes out with a new album.
burpingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:31 AM   #10
herzogzwei

I wouldn't mind a re-release of Crazy Taxi 1 on Xbox 360, but this time, the NAOMI version with full quality textures, less popup, no framerate dips and online 2 player play.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:58 AM   #11
sharky~
Out Run Master!