The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 05-19-2005, 01:00 AM   #1
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Question PS3 is destroying the competition

For many people, the 2005 E3 is the first sell for next generation. Opinions will be forming over the next couple of months regarding which system will offer the most for their dollar. Opinions are being formed on everything from the console's design to the console's first games.

That said, I think Sony's display of MGS4 and the impressive FFVII tech demo is the best sell I've seen. Granted, it's early in the show, and this speculation is just that...speculation. However, I think that Sony has an incredible ammount of hype behind their console thus far.

What do you think?

Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, The Division, Metal Gear Solid V
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 01:25 AM   #2
BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior
For many people, the 2005 E3 is the first sell for next generation. Opinions will be forming over the next couple of months regarding which system will offer the most for their dollar. Opinions are being formed on everything from the console's design to the console's first games.

That said, I think Sony's display of MGS4 and the impressive FFVII tech demo is the best sell I've seen. Granted, it's early in the show, and this speculation is just that...speculation. However, I think that Sony has an incredible ammount of hype behind their console thus far.

What do you think?
I think they better have their price right when they launch or all the hype in the world isn't going to do them any good.
BGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:41 AM   #3
Well Man
Y'all are brutalizing me

If Sony is paying attention to what has gone on with the North American launch of the PSP and the Japanese launch of the PSX, then they will know the price of their system will determine its success, no matter how much crap they stick under the hood.

People are willing to pay $300 for a brand new console, but the speculated $400-$500 would be more than a strecth for practically every gamer out there.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
[M]egaman Ver.6
Sign 'O' The Times

Sony did impress at their confrence, they didn't bore like last year. The Killzone tech demo made the biggest impression IMO. Until that point it was looking "good" for Sony, like the whole cups thing they did with Eye Toy. But man when I saw Killzone 2...I skeeted and hard.
U're my private joy
[M]egaman Ver.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:06 AM   #5
Renegade X
Return of the Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by [M]egaman Ver.6
Sony did impress at their confrence, they didn't bore like last year. The Killzone tech demo made the biggest impression IMO. Until that point it was looking "good" for Sony, like the whole cups thing they did with Eye Toy. But man when I saw Killzone 2...I skeeted and hard.

Yeah the whole Killzone tech demo... I consider fake... I mean seriously that nothing I haven't seen from CG or that FFVII Advent Children trailer, when they say for dead sure that thats realtime then I'll give them some credit, and when they actually smooth out the gameplay from the last Killzone in the second then I'll consider ditching all things Halo for this game.

Currently PLAYING: Oblivion(PC), Rise of Legends Demo (PC), Commandos 2 (PC)

Just Finished: Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2), Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PSOne)
Renegade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:08 AM   #6
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

The most telling thing about the Sony pics for PS3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
E3 = Hype. And it seems most of us did not learn from the hype that surrounded PS2, yes?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:06 AM   #7
ChaosX721
1337 G/-\[]V[]3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well Man
People are willing to pay $300 for a brand new console, but the speculated $400-$500 would be more than a strecth for practically every gamer out there.
I think paying $400 or even $450 will be well worth the money. With all the games that are going to come out for it. i cant wait. PS3 IMO was the best at E3 and showed more on what it can do then others(Who in the hell wants to make their own cloths and skate park on xbox live?!?!?)

(>^_^)>
ChaosX721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:15 AM   #8
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

I will never pay that kind of money for a piece of kit. Then the game-price rumours will most probably turn out to be true.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:10 AM   #9
Chrono081

The hype machine is definitely in full swing. Now I don't know, but I remember what happened with the ps2 launch. I'm thinking alot of the stuff they are showing isn't in-game just like last time. So I'll wait.

That said, microsoft really dissapointed me with the backwards compatibility thing. Ps3 and Revolution both have full backwards compatibility...that is a pretty big deal to me. If my xbox breaks down three years from now I won't be able to play beyond good and evil and alot of similiar poor selling but great xbox games on 360. This alone might make me think twice about buying one.

Last edited by Chrono081; 05-19-2005 at 04:42 AM.
Chrono081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:18 AM   #10
Thunder Force 6
No longer ironic.

It's $500 folks. $500! This is one precedent I don't want to see set.

Producers will make games for the console people will buy.

They will not be buying the PS3.

I hope it crashes and burns.
Thunder Force 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #11
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

That FFVII demo was not running on actual PS3 architecture.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #12
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior

What do you think?

Regardless of the games, because of the price and the release date, they're no threat to MS or Nintendo. Both can have millions of consoles sold before Sony even bothers releasing the PS3, and both can and probably will do price cuts when the PS3 gets released t further boost their sales.

Just think; odds are likely that by the next E3 the PS3 will be the only console that's still not out.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:20 AM   #13
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

No, Sony is going to do another rush job like they did with the PSP and people are going to get crap consoles that don't function properly. Only a dumbass would pay $450 for a new console.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:43 AM   #14
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

A rush job? They've been working on the PS3 since the PS2 launched, and probably have spent more development time on their next system than MS or Nintendo has.

If anything, the 360 strikes me as a rush job. It's not even ready to play it's own games yet, so they played them on a Mac, but they want it out in November?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:52 AM   #15
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

Nonsense. True, all console makers begin R&D development of new hardware during/after launching a new piece of hardware. But look at the PS2 and the PSP. With the PS2, it was projected to be much stronger than it actually turned out to be. Just before release, Sony came out and said that some of the specs would have to be downgraded in order to make the launch date. Many of the PS2s were returned due to faulty disc drives and other problems, all of which can only be attributed to incompetent hardware manufacturing (read: a rush job). A similar event played out with the PSP -- Sony rushed it to market and it was plagued with a wide assortment of problems. Worse yet, Sony was their usual arrogant selves, stating that people would just have to "deal with it." In other words, they really don't care if you paid $300 and got a piece of crap; live with it. The problem is even worse in Korea where customer service is virtually nonexistent. So don't try to downplay the fact that Sony is horrible when it comes to manufacturing hardware.