The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 05-14-2005, 01:09 AM   #1
DBJAY

Shock! Xbox360 demos running on Macs!

http://news.com.com/Xbox+360+demos+r...l?tag=nefd.top

"The nifty clips of video games supporting Microsoft's new Xbox 360 console are running on Apple machines, Microsoft confirmed on Friday.

"We purchased a number of Apple G5's because very specific hardware components of the G5 allow developers to emulate some of the technology behind future Xbox products and services," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "This is an interim development tool that will be replaced with a more powerful and comprehensive solution later."

So basically stop complaining about the visual quality of the clips, it's not even on the actual hardware yet. It is questionable judgment why they would bother showing games running on the G5 macs at "product introductions."
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 01:20 AM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

So basically everything we seen running on the 360..wasn't really running on it? Sounds like a Sony tactic. Maybe M$ really is serious about talking their place. They are all ready taking their moves. Anyway, their hardware have to be done by now unless what we seen wasn't actually as completed as they wanted us to think. if not that then maybe they just don't have real development done and set off yet. Either way I'm sure Apple is loving the free promotion.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:05 AM   #3
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well it's certainly not shocking since all of the next generation consoles will be more Mac-based than PC-based as far as the hardware is concerned (it is better hardware after all). The 360 is pretty much just a Mac without the OS and all that jazz. I'm sure all of the development systems are G5's with a modified OS.

I just hope that when we see the games on the 360, they won't look worse than they do now, like they did when Sony finally showed their games on the PS2 instead of a tricked out PC.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:11 AM   #4
Alucard

Its not shocking because this happens pretty often. Most things Microsoft try to pawn off onto us are either running on the PC or an Apple system, never on its hardware. Sony's already done this when it first showed Tekken Tag. Everything was on PC. I'm basically waiting for the systems to come out so I can see it in motion because right now everything is just eye candy that doesnt exist. How we all remember Halo2 clips that claimed ingame, and then bam. Lower grade crap for real game.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

Once again MS swipes ideas from Mac. Not confident in Windows and PC architecture?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Dont Worry Gates is in ENgland as we speak "Bashing Apple" according to the news
(IPOD)
Old 05-14-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
DBJAY

I don't think Gates is bashing apple. Doesn't he point out that in his opinion is that cell phones will replace the Ipod? It's not like he is not aware of what many third party cell phone manufacturers are doing. It's pretty likely actually that someone very shortly will merge an ipod like device with a cell phone.

But, back on subject. The G5 macs pretending to be Xbox360's will also probably happen at E3 next week. Kind of dissapointing to know that the true performance of the console and the launch will not be known until later this fall! Talk about a double edged sword. On one hand, there is potential that when the games finally are coded for the true Xbox360 (even the guy on G4 says that the games so for are on alpha kits - but it's May - game ship in 6 months) they will look considerably better (gameplay is fine btw), but that also creates an incredible time crunch for the developers, and unpolished visuals will not serve very well as an advertisement for the system over the coming months.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #8
BashingU
Banned

Well if Gears of War is not running on an Xbox360 and looks that good...Then why the hell will I be upset? Wouldn't we be blown away come fall when it looks better? It fakes out Sony and Nintendo who think that they have seen the system in totality only to be thrown for a loop....Are you really dissapointed by Ghost Recon? Get a grip, this is the best news in my oppinion...They are G5's not multi threaded machines, which the 360 happens to be...Good joby M$...2k6 still looks insane... :cool guy:
BashingU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I think realistically, you should be a little disappointed by not even seeing the real systems offering. For all we know, the games could look even worse come this fall. Right now, it's apparent M$ doesn't have the system done. Who knows what they might cut or add before it is. All we are seeing is games running on Mac that cost thousands, and M$ is going to do that with a system that could cost no more then $300? Showing games on everything but the real hardware is cheap and the only people who M$ is fooling are the fans. I don't speak for everyone but I myself wouldn't appreciate that.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:36 PM   #10
BashingU
Banned

Whats M$ been using to make their next generation games on? ummmm G5 Macs...

What have we known about over the last three months? Is that M$ plans on delivering the final ATI graphics cards to developers in the next development kit...Which will be more powerful then the current ones developers are using...This was stated by a developer who had both Xbox 360 dev kits and PS3 ones...True or False?

Where is the jedi mind trick if they tell you that this is not the system but what is capable on the system along with games that will be on the system?

I don't get the logic of pulling the wool over any gamers eyes...How come there isn't
a vague answer like "no comment" from M$?

What the hell will be wrong with them adding anything...In fact almost every website has stated that since the disclosure by M$ it conincides with information they had on the systems since last spring...don't believe me then do your reasearch and go to teamxbox who posted the specs of the system...

I'm trying to really understand the logic...

I personally want them to hold some stuff back, why the hell not? A bad bi tch doesn't have to take all her clothes off to be sexy...and M$ doesn't have to lets us know everything to be a hot with Xbox 360...
BashingU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:43 PM   #11
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I don't mean this to sound mean but if that reply is to me, it's hard to understand. It's the one sentence paragraphs. Let alone there is 4 of them. If this is a reply to me, then I'll go ahead and reply.

I personally don't really have trouble understanding why M$ would show something not running on Xbox hardware. You might not be able to (or don't want to) see the "logic" in it but they whole deal here is that, it's to fool people and get them excited. M$ did admit latter what was shown on the console was really running on Powermac computers, but only on the internet. The whole show though, was broadcasted world wide on TV. If they really wanted to be honest about it, they would have said that at the show. I think a lot of people be interested in knowing everythign they are about to see is not running on the system. But where be the hype if they admited that before showing these eye candy titles? As as right now, we still don't know what the 360 can factually do. And we wont till M$ actually starts showing games on the real system. Till then we are seeing Powermac developed titles that are meant to be Xbox2 ones.

And honestly, I don't know if the next "real" development kits they send out will be more powerful or not. Hey they could be, then again they could be buy only a few percents. I just don't know, I'm not M$ and they are the ones hacking at Apple computers. And I also don't know which developer your talking about. You know, the one with both Xbox360 and PS3 kits. If you going to mentioning him, mention the name or company at lest.

As for my final statement. Doing research at a site like Teamxbox be pointless right now. I much rather wait and see what happens in the fall then search around that place for out of date hype articles. Besides, everything at Teambox is posted here by you anyway.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

If Microsoft honestly belives that the games they showed will be at least as good as or better than what was shown (Which I'm sure they do) then there was no reason to weight down the show with that info. Hell they didn't even say what the technical inards of the 360 was on the show so why bother with trying to explain that the games shown were running on different but slight inferier hardware? You're just bitching for the hell of it.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:05 PM   #13
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I'm not making a deal out of it because I have nothing to do or something. I don't know what M$ will believes, but I do think if they are going to show the hardware and then the software. It should actually be on the hardware it's self.

As a gamer I want to see these things. Not another Sony copy tactic to show you something and think its on the console. Maybe other people are fine with things like that but I personally am not. I want to see for real what I'm lead to believe is real honestly. That just seems like a important little detail when it comes to buying something.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:03 PM   #14
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Ps2 parts != computer parts
Hence it was hard to get exact parts for computers to develop the games that were the same as the undecided software for PS2

X360 parts == G5 parts
Hence it is possible for the developers to have a replica G5 to make an almost identical setup.

Im pretty sure that the only graphical loss will occur from MS deciding to loose certian parts to make the system more profitable. (IE a possible downgrade to 256 RAM, or drop the processors to 2.8ghz istead of 2.2, etc.)
Old 05-14-2005, 08:29 PM   #15
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

I can't see that happening. They would loose too much face to drop specs after official announcments.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote