The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 10-01-2005, 07:44 AM   #46
Alucard

This next game is a bit of a surprise...

RANA RAMA

Now heres something strange... Graphics, poor. Sound, poor. Gameplay? Legendary. This game is nothing to look at, but man did it stick into my head as oneof the best games I ever played. I got it free with my Zzap!! magazine since it usually came with demos and sometimes a full game. Imagine getting a full game with todays magazines huh? HAH!!!

Going by memory, which is always a dodgy thing for me to do, you played a wizards apprentice who was turned into a frog. You have to go from room to room looking fr potions and for RUNES, which you create into spells to be able to fight your way through to the end of each level to face off with necromancers or warlocks. At first the game is a bit strange and very hard. It actually took me quite a few goes to finally figure out WTF I was needing to do in it. But it was SO cool exploring and looking for runes and then using your new spells. Was just magic. ohnoes a PUN!

I cant really say too much else. Its got a great gameplay system. Made back in 1987. But as I said, graphics and sound are below par, and you can tell it was made by 1 guy. But this guy goes on record to prove that if you have great gameplay and a great idea, graphics and sound dont matter. Something thats lost in todays games. I mean Adventure games back then were TYPING games where you actually used your keyboard to type out what direction you wanted to go, and what commands to do, while on screen the top half was a picture of the room/area you were in at the time that would load and change each time you moved, and lower half was all text story info stuff. Ok, SLIGHTLY off tangent there. But you get the idea. Those adventure games were brilliant also. Um...oh yeah, my score!!

9/10!!

C64 screens!! Sorry! Wasnt made for Amiga!

Will any of you play this game? I doubt it with all my soul.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:44 AM   #47
Alucard

RE-BOUNDER!

Yes, another game close to my heart. This is the SEQUEL to Bounder. Its a side-scroller where you play as a tennis ball. You heard. It bounces up and down, up being TOWARDS you, and down means away, which means it gets smaller. Now the reason I mention that bit is because it crolls sideways, and your aim is to jump with good timing to hop over obstacles, hop onto floating platforms, avoid enemies, and defeat the end boss. Now when you bounce, dont think you're commited to a direction you hold. You can move WHILE in the air in any direction you want untill you land. You can get powerups as you go which either give you more and more armour so as to survive any direct hits better, and also better firepower so you can pwn your enemies as you bounce along. Some platforms made you jump further, some others disappeared if you landed on then twice, so you had to be VERY careful how you advanced while the screen scrolled along and you held back waiting for a perfect moment.

Theres ALOT of imagination in this game, the graphics are nice for something made in 1987, and the sound was brilliant. This game was excellent and very addictive. My score? Ofcourse its high.

9/10!!

C64 screens!! Sorry, wasnt on the Amiga.

Old 10-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #48
Alucard

But wait!!! WAIT ALUCARD I hear you say! Why are all your games always an 9 or above? Was the C-64 REALLY such a godly gaming system? No, there were some bad games, but I dont think its worth writing about them. I'll write up one thats actually not too bad, but fun aswell..

Deathwish III

Ok, I know I said I'd do one about a bad game, but th emore I think back, the more I remember enjoying this alot. Released in 1987 and sorta based off the popular Deathwish movie series by Charles Bronson, this game had good graphics, great music, good gameplay, but...um...no point to it. I dont know if you actually HAD to do something, but I never met anyone who seemed to know. The whole point of the game, that I could tell, was to wipe out the streets of evil bad guys. With this task you had a few weapons to choose from. Simple handguns to machine guns and, my personal favourite, Rocket Launcher! You'd just go around and blow people away. If you were fast enough you could shoot someone again before they fell, and they'd do this little spastic fit as they were pushed back slightly. Now picture a machine gun and a wall at the end of the screen so they cant go any further.. Spastic fit on the wall till you run out of bullets! Rocket launcher? Well once you shot them they turned into this pulpy mound.

You had a map and you could walk around the streets, this being single static screens untill you got to the end of it and it would flick to the next screen, and even go into houses. You could also look out the windows and it would give you a view of what the outside was. You found guns inside the houses aswell as a few other things. Like more bad guys! One of the coolest things you could do was shoot the grandmother. She'd get her purse stolen every now and then and sadly if she was infront of the guy who stole it, you'd shoot her instead. Machine gun her up against the wall you say? Oh yes... Oooooh yes indeed. Bloody FUN game. At at the age of 13, I was laughing my guts up at it. I remember I took out most of them till there was hardly anything around. I dont know if they respawned after a while, or I had to do something. But man, this one of the first few games that others like GTA idolize. I think it got banned in a few countries. Well, I turned out alright! I remember telling my friends to SHOOT THE GRANDMA when they were playing it. Oh fun! You could shoot the cops aswell. MY SCORE!

7/10! I should probably give it a 5 or 6, but I just had too much fun with it.

Screens!!! C64 only again. No Amiga version.

Old 10-01-2005, 07:46 AM   #49
Alucard

And now comes my special reviewing thread...noone has one of these and I will be the FIRST to do one.. I shall dub it....60 SECOND FAST MONEY REVIEW GAME!!!!!!!! I basically stuff up games I remember fondly but with very little detail cause I'm a retard, and give it a quick little paragraph. Since its not good enough to earn its own post, I'll throw in a bunch of games real quick. These games are a GO PLAY THE EMULATOR type ones. FIRSTLY!

Dragon riders of Pern

Based off the book series, this was a total text game, with an arcade level in it. This was a very good game, alot of depth really and very political based. Heres a screen!!

Each section branched off into more sections and you could do ALOT of crap. This is the sort of stuff us 10 year olds grew up with. Games where you needed to THINK hard. Another reason we mocked the hell out of the NES people As you can see above, the guy has no prospects for marriage. So you basically were trying to take over the land, and there was an arcade style element to it, in the following screen...

Fly the dragon around and destroy the 'threads' before they hit the ground. The game was excellent. Very tricky and just immersive. C64 only. I rate it...8/10!!!

Dropzone!

Sidescroller horizontal style. You play this astronaught in some little jetpack, and you can turn either left or right and float about the moon shooting at little alien sprites. The aim of the gamne, rescue the retard little men on the surface by landing on them to pick them up, then dropping them off back at your base. Very simple, but oh so fun! Zzap! gave it 95%! At the time its definately deserved since its a great game and I'd love to give it a 9, but I'll toss an 8 at it. Maybe because its been so long since I played it. But it was DAMN good. Screen! C64 only, no Amiga version.

DRUID!!

Ok this game is BLOODY BRILLIANT. You're a happy little druid and you go around killing stuff and getting powerups/different attacks etc. You could summon golums to help you etc, and there was even a co-op mode. Pretty good for 1986! But yeah, I cant recall too much aside from it really was a brilliant game. Pretty hard, like MOST C64 games, but very technical in how you use your powers. You could cycle through them and use them on the enemy that would get the most benefit. Say you used fire, shooting a fireball at a monster and it took 5 to kill him, but a water ball would kill it in 2 hits. You'd have to refill them as you went etc. Great game. Zzap gave it 88%, I give it 9/10! C64 only!

Powers are at the top, even death magic. Thats you, the blue thing, but its the back of the druid so you dont see his handsome bearded face. Below you is a NASTY cockroach of DOOM! There was a sequel made but I never got my hands on it.

WARHAWK

Another BRILLIANT shoot-em-up! Not much to say really. MAde in 1986, good graphics, great music, great game, just great, loved it. 9/10!!! C64 only.

Wheelchair Football

Honestly, its better not to ask. I dont think I should grade it because...well... Its just funny. Soccer game done differently!

Impossible Mission

Another GENIUS game from the developer EPYX, who rock. This game was just damn addictive. You're a guy who zips about the platform levels in a lift and goes into seperate rooms to find something that helped you complete the stage. You could search desks, computers, toilets, etc. All the while needing to dodge the enemies. Game was HARD and awesome, and they made a sequel which I never got to play either. Game was brilliant, Zzap gave it 95% I give it 10/10!! C64 only!

Those yellow bits at the bottom? They're little mini lifts in the room that go up and down. Fall in the hole, DIE! It was very easy to DIE in this game... Stay a while....Staaay fooreveeeerr!!!!!!!

OK I'm done since I've got a headache. In my next foray of reviews, sometime in the near distant future, I plan to focus entirely on my rpg memories. I may end up doing a QUICK REVIEW style like this for them though since its hard to say too much about them. Excellent games! I hope you enjoyed my SPAM!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:51 AM   #50
Seska
Slurp

Quote:
Fly the dragon around and destroy the 'threads'
Id like to fly a dragon around and destroy this thread! :O

This needs to be made into an Amiga 500 thread instead!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #51
Alucard

They're reviews from the C64 you rotten cow! Sod off before I send nin after you!
Old 10-01-2005, 05:52 PM   #52
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Wow. Just wow. Great stuff, Alucard. I sort of remember playing Druid. Such memories! I played Impossible Mission on NES. I loved it whenever he'd fall into a hole and you'd hear thast long scream, "AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!"

Man, Wheelchair Football? Never even knew it existed. I know that it's a real sport for handicapped people, like wheelchair basketball. One thing the old computers had a lot more of than most consoles was variety. Old computer magazines used to come with floppy discs with games on 'em, as you mentioned, and they even came with the full codes for games so that if you felt like it you could "program" the entire game in from scratch and play it. My father did this once. It was insane because at first the game wouldn't work (this was on the C64/128 btw) and he had to read through ALL the code until he found one tiny mistake and fix it.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:36 PM   #53
Alucard

Yeah, the C64 had heaps of things you could do. We were programming our own pick a path text adventures while the NES crowd were playing mario. Lord did we tease the crap out of them
Old 10-02-2005, 04:21 AM   #54
Nindalf

They got awesome games from stores and you had to make your own TEXT games, and you teased them? For what? For not being retards?
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 04:39 AM   #55
Alucard

I could get games from the store AND create my own. What did the NES people do?

-Mummy mummy my game isnt working!

-Did you plug it in dear?

-YAY!........mummy mummy my game isnt working!!

-Did you turn the console on dear?

-YAY!...mummy mummy@@!!!!!@!!!

Meanwhile we had to use programming strings to load ours up, could create air balloons floating across the screen, make the screen go spastic colours, create moving pictures of our choice, make our own text adventures, etc! All this when comparing the average 10-13 year olds from one side to the other. Hell yeah we had a field day mocking the stupid retards!
Old 10-02-2005, 04:44 AM   #56
Nindalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Meanwhile we had to use programming strings to load ours up, could create air balloons floating across the screen, make the screen go spastic colours, create moving pictures of our choice, make our own text adventures, etc! All this when comparing the average 10-13 year olds from one side to the other. Hell yeah we had a field day mocking the stupid retards!
Sound like you had a riot. Too bad that's FUCKING STUPID.

And your mommies bought your C12 games for you too. You lose.

Nintendo owners Buy
C3 1/2 owners Buy and WORK

Retards.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:27 AM   #57
Alucard

I bought all my games with my lunch money. I also knew how to save money. I would take my tape, copy it to a blank one, then MAGNATIZE the hell out of the original and take it back claiming faulty goods and swap it for another game. I rock.

And yeah I had plenty of fun. I also can spell MUMMY correctly! Use english, not american! Otherwise go move there!
Old 10-02-2005, 05:33 AM   #58
Magnus
The world's stopping but we keep going

Quote:
MAGNATIZE
Quote:
Use english, not american! Otherwise go move there!
It's also "Magne", regradless of which spelling you use ;)
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:33 AM   #59
Nindalf

Quote:
I bought all my games with my lunch money. I also knew how to save money. I would take my tape, copy it to a blank one, then MAGNATIZE the hell out of the original and take it back claiming faulty goods and swap it for another game. I rock.

And yeah I had plenty of fun. I also can spell MUMMY correctly! Use english, not american! Otherwise go move there!
Old 10-02-2005, 05:41 AM   #60
Alucard

Spelling errors and typos dont count compared to spelling mummy purposely as mommy!