The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 06-19-2005, 03:45 AM   #31
Alucard

I'll bring the Amiga games soon! Besides you might notice alot of the C64 and Amiga games are cross titles. I probably should be putting up the Amiga screenshots too.. hmm.

Ok, heres a couple screens of the Amiga version of wizball, though plays exactly the same.

Not a HUGE difference, just mainly more colours.

Screenshot of the C64 below without the cropping the other screens had, so you can compare.

Last edited by Alucard; 06-19-2005 at 03:51 AM.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:00 AM   #32
haruko

I remember Mad Doctor and absolutely loved it. I would have also given that masterpiece 10/10. There was another game similar to this (made byt the same dude, same look and feel etc.) but obviously without the morbid overtones but I cant remember what that was called?
haruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:09 AM   #33
haruko

Well I have to say for me it was Last Ninja that really created the addication. I had the Game'N Watch collections and the Atari2600 but when I first saw Last Ninja in action it was like a bright shining light came out of the television and possessed me to play video games everyday of my life, and here I am more than 20 years later still respecting this work of art. 10/10

Then came the sequel, and Last Ninja 2 is still to this day IMO the greatest video game ever coded! 10/10
haruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #34
Alucard

Oh wow Last Ninja was an awesome series. I remember in the first game trying to jump those stones in the lake. Awesome music too. I second the 10/10 mark.

My next joy of rememberence!!! DEFENDER OF THE CROWN!

This game I honestly believe I've completed about 100 times. Its centered in England, and you are 1 of 6 lords of the land. Your aim is to conquer all of Great Brittain! There were many ways to do this. First you needed money. Each round, depending on what parts of land you had, you got a certain amount of gold. With this you bought troops, everything from infantry, to horsemen, and even catapults. To protect your land you could fortify it with a little barracks. Now if you were attacking one such fortified piece of land, you had a couple options. You could 'raid', which meant you would control 1 guy and sword fight your way through and hope to get plenty of money in the end, or you could attack it outright with your catapults and then men. Though you generally raided the main castle of the other lords.

Anyway! Apart from fun in the sun with attacking, there were also side parts to the game. Every now and then a jousting tournament would pop up and you would compete. You could choose each rounds prize. Like bet 1 piece of land for theirs, bet money, or bet fame. Lots of fun. Oh yeah, sometimes you would get an option to marry some SKANK from a rival lord. If you married her you would get their land and troops instantly. The last cool part was you could ask Robin Hood for help about 3 times in the game. So if you were attacking someone alot stronger then you, he would toss you some extra money. I'm hoping all that was acurate and I didnt forget anything, but its been a while since I played it.

I've played the C64, Amiga, and PC version. Though back then it was on an Amstrad. From what I remember, PC version was dead easy, C64 was bloody hard, and Amiga looked the best of the lot. So all up probably the Amiga was the best version. They recently ported it to the GBA, though I aint played it it looks fairly similar. They also remade the game entirely for the PC recently. Vey old school with quite a few new stuff, like for raiding its all 3D and you're an archer in the tree firing at some lords men as they pass under you with crates of money. Didnt get to mess with it thoroughly, but its on my to do list. Along with half the world. So heres some screens!

10/10!!!

This is the map screen for the C64, and below it for the Amiga. Big difference! Third one is the detailed map option.

One of the whores you can marry, theres like 5 different one I think. I always prayed I didnt get the fugly one, otherwise I'd palm her away and take the country by force. This is an Amiga screen I think.

Raiding screen from the C64! and below the Amiga version

Jousting! C64 above, Amiga below..

Well that was certainly fun!! Heres a link to a site that has random roms of the game from different systems that you can download and play on an emulator. Brilliant! Back in the day Zzzap!! Magazine gave the game 94%

http://panda.net.au/dotc/

Last edited by Alucard; 07-13-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #35
Nindalf

I have Defender of the Crown on NES. Fun little game. The tournaments were fun.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #36
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Man, the Amiga version looks way better than the one on C64! I've gotta check this puppy out.

By any chance, would you happen to remember a game which was for the Macintosh where you were trying to ascend in a room and there was a ton of stuff going on on-screen? I remember that there was a witch flipping through a book at the top of the screen. I tried that game a long time ago and cannot remember what it was called. Any idea?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #37
Alucard

I cant think of anything with that description. Although then again its been so long that it sounds kinda weird to me.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:04 AM   #38
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

It's not easy to figure out, obviously, because otherwise I would've found it already. I've been wanting to play that game again very badly.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:06 AM   #39
Nephlabobo
Banned

C 64 was bloody hard - but I have to agree with you....

10/10!

I loved this game :cool guy:
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #40
Nindalf

Alucard, have you played It Came From The Desert?

Awesomeness.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:42 PM   #41
Alucard

Gah! I remember I didnt play much of that game since I didnt own it and I played it at a friends house, but it was pretty freakish. I'd forgotten all about it till now. I think I'm gonna find me some ROMS!
Old 07-16-2005, 05:51 PM   #42
Nindalf

I don't know if you know this site, although probably you do, since you're such a classic gaming whore, but you can download It Came From The Desert and TONS of other old games for free and legally from The-Underdogs.org

Direct link to It Came From The Desert , site usually has reviews of the games too. Love this site.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #43
Alucard

The calm before the storm...
Old 10-01-2005, 07:43 AM   #44
Alucard

OK! Its been a while since my last brief review, and now I've decided to remove my slack-lock <tm> and give you some more juicy ones. This next review is a personal fave of mine, and one where I still own it and the box it came in. X-Out MY REVIEW!! Brief!

X-OUT

This was a brilliant BRILLIANT shoot-em-up for the C64. Also out for others like the Amiga and Atari ST. But before I mention much about the game, I want to dedicate a little corner to the legends that were RAINBOW ARTS! They created this game as well as many other classics.

Quote:
Game publisher and developer founded in 1984 in Guetersloh, Germany. Early in the 80's they gathered many talented people from all over Germany, like Armin Gessert (founder of the fairly new company Spellbound), Thomas Hertzler (now head of Blue Byte), Chris Huelsbeck, Manfred Trenz and many more to become one of the biggest names in computer entertainment in Europe from 1986 to around 1991. All their games from that time were mainly made for the C64 and the Amiga and only very few were converted to the IBM-PC later on. Early in the 90's most of Rainbow Arts people went on to work somewhere else or to form their own independent companies (Blue Byte, Factor 5). Rainbow Arts became part of Softgold/Funsoft and are now part of THQ, as Funsoft itself was bought by THQ in 1999. In the PC era they only produced a few games like Imperium Romanum, a fun graphic adventure that plays in a world where the Roman Empire had survived till the present and Lollypop, a cute jump'n run.
Well theres my ode to rainbow Arts. To the game!!

While roaming the shelves at my local store back in the day, I saw this pretty little box and said WOOT! Shooty game! And bought it. I can probably compare X-Out a little to R-Type. They're both horizontal scrollers, and they both have powerups for your ship. However, with X-Out you get your power ups BEFORE you start the mission. You get them by money. I'll put some screens up to show what I mean.

C-64 shoppe!!

Amiga Version

Using the Amiga screen as an example, you can see theres 4 types of ships you can buy. Each ship can fit more things. Top right is a green outline of your ship and you attach the weapons to that. Top middle is your ships your custom ships you can choose from before the missions start. The bottom, well fairly straight forward. Bottom left, 3 types of firepower, one stronger then the one before, beside them the ships you can buy, and after that 2 sections of different upgrades. Its just brilliant.

This game was DAMN HARD!!! I cant speak for the Amiga version since I never had it, but its a very hard game. But oh so fun. Extremely colourful, every boss is very cool, and the stages are great. Game is brilliant. I dont know what more I can say apart form brilliant, play it, and play it now if you like shootemups.

My Score!!

10/10!!!

Heres more screens

C-64 screens first...

The prettier Amiga ones!!

Brilliant!

Last edited by Alucard; 10-01-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:43 AM   #45
Alucard

CREATURES!!!!!!!

Ok this game has a special place in my heart. Its just so wonderful and lovely. How can I describe it... Its basically a platformer. You're this little mutant hairy alien blob with arms and legs, and you can spit fire at your enemies. You collect things during the stage like mushrooms and later trade them for weapons at the shop. So the game consists of you going along hophop platformer sideways mario style, and then when you get to the end area, you have 1 dungeon style screen. This is where the game captured my heart. One of you friends is trapped to a torture device! Your mission is to reach them and save them before something BAD happens... Observe yon screen!!

Thats you at the lower right standing like a retard. You have to figure your way around and stop them with their ADVANCED ALIEN machine stsrem to stop your friend from being hax0red up by the chainsaw. But what happens if you dont make it in time I hear you ask? Well, your friend gets to the chainsaw, and you see him FLAILING as blood SPEWS out and he quickly dies. It was one of the greatest moments I'd ever seen in a video game. This game was released back in 1990, and even the GLORIOUS Zzzap!! magazine gave this game a 96% score. Sadly I cant remember too much about it, but that chainsaw stage is permanently etched into my brain. The game spawned a sequel, which I heard was even harder but I never got a chance to mess with it... My score..

9/10!!

Heres some screens! C-64 first as always.

AMIGA!