The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 05-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Alucard

Alucards C64/Amiga memories and reviews

I was looking at my favourite C64 site and I got that gooey sloppy almost melting feeling as I recalled all those brilliant games. So since majority of you probably never even played them, I'm gonna throw up some of my memories here for as long as this idea amuses me. For now theres nothing because I'm in happy memory mode.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
Paper exe
Pwnd

Finally, I will know some stuff about C64 and Amiga games.

Note-Before any misunderstanding happened, C64 and Amiga, either did not release in my country or I was not born when any one of them released, so it is not my fault.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #3
Alucard

Well the C64 lifespan was roughly from 1983 to 1989, which led to the Amiga being released. That lasted to around 92 and a couple years onwards since in 92 they brought out the Amiga1200, which was more like a PC.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Commodore 16 was my first computer then I went onto the Commodore 64 and played it until the release of the PsOne. Then went back to the older consoles. Great times indeed...
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
Paper exe
Pwnd

So I was right. C64 released when I was yet to be born and Amiga did not release in my country.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:30 PM   #6
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

I was a C-64 and then an Atari ST man myself. The Amiga and Atari ST had many of the same games, but I will admit, that the Amiga was a slightly more powerful gaming and multimedia machine. I would take TOS over Workbench anyday though.

My first computer was actually an Atari 400, but that was way to underpowered with only 16k. I saved up a bunch of money from a summer job as a kid and couldn't decide what to get, one of the new Atari 65/130XE or the C-64c or C-128 computers. My heart was with Atari, but the C-64/128 line was pulling ahead and getting more of the cool new games. I went with the C-64c and was happy with all the great games, software and the cool high tech design.

I think the Amiga actually came out in late 1985 or early 1986. I know the Atari 520 ST came out in 1985 and beat the Amiga 1000 to market by a few months. The Amiga 1200/3000 and Atari Falcon computers were actually some really powerful gaming machines, but the writing was already on the wall, as the Windows/Intel juggernaut was taking over. For a while, I even though Apple and the Mac were done for.

Remember when Electronic Arts used to make really good original games? They were independent Electronic Artists...oh how times have changed. Ever since Trip Hawkins left EA, they went down hill.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I almost bought an Atari ST. I liked the way that cheeseball flight simulator looked that they advertised on TV. But I ended up getting a Sega Master System instead. THANK GOD!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:13 AM   #8
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I love my C64/128. I once bought some game pack with like 20 games included. I played it nonstop for days.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:18 AM   #9
Alucard

Atari ST was a brilliant system. But yeah, it had alot of games that did the rounds from Amiga/C64/Amstrad. Much joy and fun.. Which leads me to my first old time review C64 classic! I might follow up with an Amiga one, but my soul is owned by the C64 era..

PSI-5 Trading Company

Going by memory now so correct me if I stuff up somewhere, those who have played it..

I'd like to start off by simply saying back in the days when the internet wasnt around you pretty much just bought games off the shelf and hoped it was a hit or miss. Ofcourse there were some gaming magazines around, like the BRILLIANT 'Zzzap C64' magazine. Lots of info on C64 games, and with people who were actually funny. The only gaming magazine I ever collected happily.

Ok.. I bought Psi-5 when I saw it on the shelf, had no idea what it was but it was there and I wanted it. Basically its a space trading game, though without any focus on trading. You chose your route paths, short, medium, or long. Each one was longer and more dfficult then the last. Now the main MEAT of the game was to choose your 5 crew mates who would help you along the mission. Picture below shows some mor einfo..

There were quite a few different races to choose from for each section, and each one was either very good at something specific or not, such as not being able to handle pressure too well. Which meant when you were under attack there was a good chance they'd go flakey and screw up often.

You would select each section and then get a list of other things you could choose. Like say Scan for example, you would go in and depending how many ships were around, you could scan them to see if they were enemies or not, so as to get the jump on them instead of being hit first. They could also lock on ships so your weapons would be acurate.

Other cool parts was engineering, where you could move power about the ship to have more for weapons, more for shields, etc etc, depending on how badly you were being owned at the time. Repair was straight forward, fixing a list of stuff broken, weapons etc Navigation choosing your route and how fast to be travelling etc.

I'm being fairly simple with the descriptions, but I dont think I need to write a story on each one of them if you get the general idea of it. Where the big green bar with the chat is where you got your ship commands, and you could also chat to each of the crew.

The game was brilliant and challenging. Not TOO indepth, but a real challenge and great fun to play. I must of completed this game at least a couple dozen times.

Alucard Metre of orgasmic pleasure, 9/10 .. This game was damn fun and hectic.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:20 AM   #10
Nephlabobo
Banned

C64 was a brilliant machine. I take mine out of storage and play it whenever I go home.

I loved those SSI Goldbox D&D games.

Hell - even EA made games that didn't suck back then.
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #11
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I remember how C64 used to change the music of their arcade translations. Not sure why, but Space Harrier's music was completely redone as well as many other arcade games. The new Ron Hubbard music ended up being pretty good, but the whole scenario is puzzling nonetheless.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:41 PM   #12
Nephlabobo
Banned

Might be a music rights issue or a memory issue.
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 11:56 PM   #13
Alucard

Not really. Quite a few games have different music to their arcade versions. Look at SNK for example. Their music differs slightly from their arcade versions to their own console versions.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:16 AM   #14
Joe Redifer
Olé!

But SNK music is mostly crap, so they were probably trying to get something better. Since SNK does not employ good musicians, the new stuff they came up with was also crap. The original Sega arcade tunage was great, memorable stuff not to be experienced by computer gamers.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:14 AM   #15
Alucard

Before 98-99, SNK made awesome music. Then something went wrong.. Anyway I'm not gonna debate about music. This is for C64! Begone!