Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 05-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
Rubeus

Microsoft to cut off production of the old Xbox soon

This is terrible.

http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx...fx2024549.html

US' Nvidia to end shipments of chips for Microsoft Xbox - report
05.12.2005, 11:12 PM

HONG KONG (AFX) - Nvidia, the graphics chipmaker, said yesterday it will end shipments of chips for Microsoft's Xbox game console in the current quarter as Microsoft moves on to its next-generation machine, the Financial Times reported.

In its online edition the newspaper said that Microsoft is expected to release the Xbox 360 in November, featuring a graphics chip from rival ATI. Microsoft has informed Nvidia it will not take any more product after Nvidia's second quarter, ending August 1, the newspaper said.

The news was a clear indication that Microsoft will cut off production of the old Xbox soon and release its successor, it said.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #2
REDFlELD

I think this is good new.
REDFlELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
DBJAY

It's not terrible. Who knows how many Xbox's are left in retail wharehouses? Checking how much hardware they are selling in 2005, it would be a small miracle if they sold even 2 million units over the course of this year. If they don't stop production, they will wind up with warehouses filled with consoles people are not buying.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Rubeus

The thing is, I am planning to get a Xbox after E3, but if MS declares the end of Xbox this year, I need to rethink about it.

Normally Nintendo and Sony continue to support the last generation console for 5 or more years, don't know why MS cuts off production of xbox so soon?
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

N64? doubt the GC will last 5 years after the Revolution comes out either.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
Thunder Force 6
No longer ironic.

Stopping production can't be a good idea, because I can't fathom there being a tremendous number of XBoxes out there with the shortages noted only a few months back. It's falling on an assumption that folks will naturally move onto the 360, but that's idiotic. Sega tried the same thing between the Genesis and Saturn; we know how well that plan worked. Weren't they saying XBox support would continue for years? If 360 ends up not having backward compatibility, there'll be a lot of people SOL.
Thunder Force 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
N64? doubt the GC will last 5 years after the Revolution comes out either.
N64 released in 1996 and it stoped in 2002 so, thats at lest 5 years. :annoyed:
If you don't know NGC released in the end of 2001 and N64 died when NGC released.
http://www.nintendo.com/systemsclassic?type=n64
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

They have showed Fable in the xbox marketplace and they showed halo2 being played on the video at ourcolony. I can't help but think they might have backwards compatability. If they do we don't need them to continue the production of xbox.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
N64 released in 1996 and it stoped in 2002 so, thats at lest 5 years. :annoyed:
If you don't know NGC released in the end of 2001 and N64 died when NGC released.
http://www.nintendo.com/systemsclassic?type=n64
I kinda figured he meant after the new console has been released, like the newest Psone game is 2005 well after the PS2 release. My misunderstanding...
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:55 PM   #10
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJAY
It's not terrible. Who knows how many Xbox's are left in retail wharehouses? Checking how much hardware they are selling in 2005, it would be a small miracle if they sold even 2 million units over the course of this year. If they don't stop production, they will wind up with warehouses filled with consoles people are not buying.

It is terrible! They could have kept selling the XBox for a year or so at slashed prices after 360 gets released. When considering it's graphics, it would still sell easily. Talk about burning your bridges behind you; now MS has no choice but to release the 360 as soon as it can.

Last edited by Zod; 05-13-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:57 PM   #11
Decado

So much for continuing to supporting the Xbox for a while. This doesn't give Xbox owners the best impression. Also, when was the last time M$ announced a new Xbox game? Seems like forever.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:19 PM   #12
TheHardware
The Moment..

good.....that means a price drop will come soon...
Old 05-13-2005, 11:22 PM   #13
Reality
Sin and Punishment

If I get one. I'm moding that thing to death.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:14 AM   #14
blueskied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
If I get one. I'm moding that thing to death.
I recently did this (160GB hdd, blue LEDs in controller ports, etc.) and
it's one of the best purchases I've made in regards to video games. It makes the xbox truly a 'multi-'gaming experience, not to mention opening up tons of other things the xbox can do (region-free & DVD adaptor-free DVD watching; divx, mpeg4 and other video formats playable from disc or hdd, etc.). :bigsmile:

Anyway, too bad about the old xboxes running their course, but everything comes to an end. I just got my xbox brand new last month, so it should last a few years.
By then I'm sure people will have found out how to mod the 360s to death so I'll 'upgrade' then.
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote