The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 04-13-2005, 07:48 PM   #1
Investor27
Legend

Anyone here uses Paypal?

Man! I have been using Paypal for almost 3 years now. During that time, I have been ripped off twice, filed complaints with Paypal and had them ruled in my favor, but they couldn't do anything about it. The lastest is when I was ripped off for $30. After I had filed a complaint with Paypal, they did some soul-searching and rule in my favor, but they said they couldn't do anything about it.

I'm pissed as hell. Has Paypal done this to any of you here?
Investor27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Sometimes you have to go over the heads of paypal. Call your credit card company if you're using a credit of debit card. They WILL get your money back. But they'll also fine paypal. I know a few people who have gotten angry letters from paypal because while paypal settled, they didn't get their money back and ended up paying the fines themselves because they went over paypal's head.

But that's the risk you take in such a business.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Reko8
meow

pappal hasnt screwed me once out of all the times me and my brother use it and thats almost all the time. But thats only dealing with ebay and ive paid one to ragnarok. But other stores ive never used paypal.

Last Completed:
Resident Evil 5
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:45 AM   #4
Alucard

You just need to be very careful buying stuff on ebay. And always go to your credit card company and if its within a certain time frame, they'll pull your money back fast.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:54 AM   #5
Paper exe
Pwnd

See now that why I cannot buy stuff online because there is no credit card company in my country to begin with.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Always use my Debit Card never had a problem thus far.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #7
Pilotwings
*can't talk...eating*

www.paypalsucks.com

i use paypal since it was known as x.com and i only use it to receive payments. never had any problems. i think paypal don't take action for any transaction under $60 since you're half of that, you're out of luck.
Pilotwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #8
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
I've had no problems so far

but some of hte people who sent their money to bank accounts and never got it, they never say in those sites like posted above, but they put their info in wrong so the money is lost in transit
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #9
Nephlabobo
Banned

I only use money orders when I buy stuff from Ebay. They're easy to track. Paypal just seems like a big hassle.
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #10
Zod
All hail the hypno-toad!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bombay
Sometimes you have to go over the heads of paypal. Call your credit card company if you're using a credit of debit card. They WILL get your money back. But they'll also fine paypal. I know a few people who have gotten angry letters from paypal because while paypal settled, they didn't get their money back and ended up paying the fines themselves because they went over paypal's head.

But that's the risk you take in such a business.

I agree completely. Just go over Paypal's heads. They don't own your credit card, nor do the decide the rules of using it. If Paypal attempts to fine you for wanting your money back from a thief, then report their asses to the government for trying to steal your money over the internet, because it is your legal right to have your credit card company recover money taken from you in a crime.

Ebay owns paypal, so if it's an Ebay auction in which Ebay made money off of both the use of Paypal and the fees from the seller, they're less likely to help.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:07 PM   #11
Investor27
Legend

Thanks for all the opinions, guys. Paypal made use my bank account as the primary source of payment/transactions with my credit card as the backup. They said that if I had it the other way, with my credit card being the primary, my payments to people will be delayed up to 5 business days and my orders will not be shipped until everything is settled.

I know that this is crap now, and I'm going to have my primary source of payments be the credit card, and content any charges from now on through my credit card company as some of you have suggested.

I, too, use Paypal at least a few times every week for the last 3 years or so. The only two times that I have people rip me off, and Paypal agree that it was not my fault, they did not go after these people's account to get my money back.
Investor27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:37 PM   #12
justin_credible

I sell and buy on Ebay. Paypal has been good. The only problem I've ever had was I ordered Marvel vs Capcom 2 on Dreamcast and the dude sent me a burned copy, Paypal wouldn't do anything saying I got something. So I guess someone can send you a turd in the mail and they wouldn't interfer saying you got "something" but that's the only time and I've used it hundreds and hundreds of times.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:59 PM   #13
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
tell ebay that, if it isn't the item description, they will work with you TRY and get something back and give warnings to the guy and even kick him off ebay and ban his credit card on it so he can't sign back up on it again
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #14
Bohemian
His Majesty Yuji Naka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephlabobo
I only use money orders when I buy stuff from Ebay. They're easy to track. Paypal just seems like a big hassle.
yeah, me too.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:44 PM   #15
Seska
Slurp

I used paypal a lot when I sold dubiously legit merchandise on Ebay. :D

Generally speaking, if you want to buy or sell stuff on ebay, its the best and fastest way to go, particularly if you want to sell, because everyone and their dog uses paypal. The problems come when your customers file a complaint to paypal, because even the most idiotic noob will get paypal to lock your funds.

In my case, one mistar smarteypants thought he was going to get free stuff from me by reporting me to paypal as selling items that were not as advertised. It was kinda funny, he was totally unreasonable and closed to discussion, because after emailing him my return policies and conditions, he was like "U HAVIN A LAFF M8, IM GANNA REPART YOU AN GETTIN ME CASH BACK NO 1 TAKES ME 4 A RIDE m8"

So yeah, paypal locked my funds and account for a month while they "investigated". The deposit made by the NOOB was locked pending a resolution, but after it all ended I got his cash HARHARHAR!

But yes, be careful with Paypal, if you are a seller withdraw regularly to your bank account. I have seen other sellers get sodomized by bayonet-wileding Paypal nazis for far less, and people with 1000's in cash in their accounts locked for half a year to a year.. while paypal gets rich on that interest.

My 2 cents.