The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 03-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

Interesting rev controller theory and concept.

Quote:
Revolution Controller Theory (revised) #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know everyone's talked about gyration in controllers for awhile now, but I have a slightly different take on it. A friend of mine went to the gyration website(which nintendo owns part of) and thought of this (which I thought was absolutely brilliant). The Revolution controller may not be a single controller with gyration in it, but maybe "controller" of sorts for each hand. Think about it: Each hand has controller type device with an analog stick, 3 or 4 triggers for your fingers and gyration installed. Now you have two seperate free moving controllers for total immersion. Think Zelda for instance. One hand is shield, one for sword. You could literally move your hand to raise your shield and block and your other to attack. Depending on how you move the controller you could do different attacks etc without even having to touch a button! Now think of FPS games, or driving and flight stuff. How fucking awesome would that be? Very immersive to say the least.

Anyway, I know this stuff has been done before, but never well (motocross madness 2 anyone). I think the idea of having two seperate sticks with very refined gyration technology
implimented could be very cool.
i still think the idea of holding your controller upright as a driving wheel was cool with a pivot stand.

but thats the most out of the water hair brianed but relativly cool idea that has ever struck me to date.

the idea of 2 separate contollers dont tickle me, but if they could click together, it could be loads of maniac fun, especially having a possibility to play multiplayer with a friend using the same controller- just split in two.

i can only wish.

the idea of the controller having a screen is just a bit corny,
but the idea of using your DS as a controller i do like.

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

Duel Power gloves baby!
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #3
Lord Stark

Good thing about Nintendo is their innovation.
Just see DS. :cool guy:
Lord Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
DBJAY

But..Revolution is backwards compatible, so the controller is therefore limited to an enhanced GC model. If it's too radical of departure, it renders that GC library unplayable.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Sure DBJAY. Hey I got a idea, why not make the Rev simply use GCN ports? That way, you could plug in your GCN controller. Or even the Rev's, heh if the Rev's plugs in at all. It's so simple! Honestly, there is solutions for just about everything.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:37 PM   #6
manicdvln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
Sure DBJAY. Hey I got a idea, why not make the Rev simply use GCN ports? That way, you could plug in your GCN controller. Or even the Rev's, heh if the Rev's plugs in at all. It's so simple! Honestly, there is solutions for just about everything.
I already predicted this in my previous post. Don't steal my ideas! Of course you will be able to use old GC controls.
manicdvln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #7
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Ah don't worry. Using GCN controllers is a basic idea that should come to anyone's mind when they think about playing backward compatible GCN games. Same for even memory cards. Heh, maybe even the GBA Player will work.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:30 AM   #8
DBJAY

It has less to do with the controller ports, than with GC's unique button layout. The games mapped to that layout have to have a similar equivalent on Revoultion's controller, or they become unplayable. Therefore, Rev's controller cannot be radically different. The work around that would be to continue to sell the GC controllers, and have the Rev controllers sold separately if they are. But, that's only applicable if Rev truly is a break through in gameplay that requires specialized controllers as theorized above, and not a meaningless phrase like "Hollywood" (fyi..the real Hollywood is a wretched place), or "emotion engine."
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:50 AM   #9
Reality
Sin and Punishment

The Rev's controller wont even have a A and B button so I think the step to making the new controllers radically different is already there. I think Nintendo expects people to play more N5 games in the long run then GCN ones on the new console. Plus, Nintendo will always make GCN controllers if you ever need a replacement.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:29 AM   #10
Black Sugar
put some sugar on top...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality
The Rev's controller wont even have a A and B button so I think the step to making the new controllers radically different is already there. I think Nintendo expects people to play more N5 games in the long run then GCN ones on the new console. Plus, Nintendo will always make GCN controllers if you ever need a replacement.

What so hard to understand DBJAY ? reality pretty sum up it all. This is the logical thing to do . Sometime I wonder if you're not doing this on purpose.
Black Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:53 AM   #11
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

FinalSolace2, your idea would work wonders for baseball games. Especially how a pitcher grips a pitch. The buttons you push could replicate where the pitcher places his hands on the ball.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:16 AM   #12
Seiaku

It'd be pretty dangerous to say Nintendo will allow GC controllers to hook up to the Revolution, but at the same time, it can sound like a fall-back plan if their "revolutionary" controllers flop. Third parties could still make their simple line of standard games for the Revolution since it will still be able to use a dual analog controller and stuff.
Seiaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:12 AM   #13
FinalSolace2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior
FinalSolace2, your idea would work wonders for baseball games. Especially how a pitcher grips a pitch. The buttons you push could replicate where the pitcher places his hands on the ball.
this would probably give baseball sims new found popularity.

by the way i didnt write the quote, i will link the thread.

that would actually be so cool- imagine- Throw mario baseball

source

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."

Last edited by FinalSolace2; 03-13-2005 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #14
cartman414

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalSolace2
i still think the idea of holding your controller upright as a driving wheel was cool with a pivot stand.

but thats the most out of the water hair brianed but relativly cool idea that has ever struck me to date.

the idea of 2 separate contollers dont tickle me, but if they could click together, it could be loads of maniac fun, especially having a possibility to play multiplayer with a friend using the same controller- just split in two.

i can only wish.

the idea of the controller having a screen is just a bit corny,
but the idea of using your DS as a controller i do like.
Hori did make that one PS2 controller that can be split into 2 parts, one for each hand, that can be snapped back together.
cartman414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:46 AM   #15
FinalSolace2

new innovative concepts- courtesy of FS2

Quote:
Today, March 11, Nintendo DS is unleashed upon Europe. For many of you, it?s been an agonising few months waiting for this day. But for one man, today?s launch is the result of over two years of painstaking work with a team of 200 people.

That man is Satoru Okada, General Manager of Research & Engineering Department at Nintendo Co., Ltd; our Japanese head office in Kyoto.

Mr Okada has been responsible for the development of almost all of our handheld systems; from the original Game&Watch in 1980, to Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP. As well as handhelds, he also worked on the R.O.B. interactive robot and Zapper light gun devices for the NES.

But we?re here today to talk about his latest ? and greatest ? achievement: Nintendo DS!

Nintendo of Europe: How many people in total worked on the Nintendo DS project?

Satoru Okada: I cannot fully comprehend how many because it is a huge project which involves not only my R&D department but also EAD [the ?Entertainment, Analysis, Development? team, headed by Shigeru Miyamoto] and many others. Roughly, I guess there were about 200 people involved at Nintendo Co., Ltd.

NoE: How did the Nintendo DS project begin?

SO: When we were at the very final development stage of Game Boy Advance hardware, we already started thinking about the next projects. One team had started to work further on the GBA hardware that was just about to be launched, and this project resulted as Game Boy Advance SP. Another was the project to create a brand new handheld platform. At the very beginning, we started thinking about realising the better 3D graphics and the compatibility with GBA. Without having the concrete idea on the resulted hardware, we were discussing a number of different ideas. Specifically about the Touch Screen, I myself raised this possibility, but it was one of the ideas that I myself was not sure if it would be incorporated in the end.

NoE: At the beginning of the Nintendo DS project, was it a conscious decision to create something innovative?

SO: Innovation is something we are always trying to realise whenever we develop new hardware. However, at the beginning, we were not imagining this form of innovation. Nintendo DS is the result of many different ideas, for each of which we have gone through reviews and feasibility experiments.

NoE: Nintendo DS offers something different to traditional handheld game systems. Why did you feel the market needed such a radical shift?

SO: To us, developers at Nintendo, it was not a ?radical? shift. I have had a number of experiences on working on handhelds since Game&Watch and our team has been working on Game Boy projects for such a long time. For each project, like I said, we are always trying to make innovation. I know it is always difficult to make the perfect machine, with which we can feel there is nothing we need to change or add. Whenever we reach some development milestones, we always feel we can do more. It is always the repetition of this process. We developed Nintendo DS as the result of such repeated processes. In the end, it may look ?radical?, but to us, it was rather a natural progress.

NoE: Did the idea for dual screens come before the Touch Screen? What was the thinking behind the two-screen design?

SO: Mr. Hiroshi Yamauchi, former president of Nintendo, proposed the two-screen idea. He obviously wanted to let us see things from the different angle. I was already thinking about the Touch Screen idea by then but, I should say, the idea of the dual-screen encouraged the adoption of the Touch Screen. Though I myself was thinking about the Touch Screen idea at an early stage, I thought we would adopt the idea not for this device but probably for some future machine. But our software creators thought that they could create something unprecedented if one of the two screens can be a Touch Screen. Touch screens were used in PDAs, but they were never meant to be hit so hard by a stylus for gaming. It was a big challenge for us to develop a durable enough Touch Screen for Nintendo DS.

NoE: Where did the idea for PictoChat come from? And whose idea was it to embed it into the Nintendo DS system?

SO: I recall it was Mr. Miyamoto who came up with the idea of PictoChat. I have to confess that, when he proposed this idea and the idea to incorporate the feature into the hardware for the first time, I did not think it would be something important because I was thinking about ordinary chatting functions that were available elsewhere. When I actually saw the application, I realised I was wrong. I could not imagine the hand-written messages and pictures through wireless communications and by using two screens would be such fun.

NoE: Why did you decide to give Nintendo DS a ?clamshell? design?

SO: The most important objective was to protect the LCDs from scratches. I should add that the success of SP has encouraged us to adopt this design on Nintendo DS as well.

NoE: There?s been speculation that Nintendo DS will take advantage of its wireless capability for long-distance multiplayer gaming over the Internet. What can you tell us about this, and are there other innovations we can expect for the DS in the coming months?

SO: In terms of the hardware specs, Nintendo DS is ready to be connected with the Internet. Software teams are working on the appropriate applications.

NoE: You?ve worked on so many big projects over the years. What is your proudest achievement?

SO: To me, everything was so important that I cannot identify any one of them. I was lucky that almost all the systems I worked on have turned out to be huge hits around the world.

NoE: Finally, why should gamers choose Nintendo DS over alternative game systems?

SO: In short, the unprecedented interactive entertainment experiences! You can have this sensation with no other machines than Nintendo DS.

NoE: Mr Okada, thank you very much for your time!

Nintendo DS is in stores today, priced ?99.99 and bundled with a free Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt demo.

For more info on the system and the massive selection of launch games, visit the microsite.

innovation unrivaled

WOW there was an idea for the DS to emit smells!!!

I was worried that i wouldn't see cool innovations like this in the future, but with vision like that, i'm sure nintendo are looking in the right direction. The only thing is that M$ and Sony i'm sure are gonna want a pice of the action, but not this gen i doubt.

I wish with the next controller the handel's could emit static waves (like on your TV) to simulatete different terrain (like water ripples, or magic-casting effects), also a element that heats up the controller in hot areas and a fan (or something) that cools it in cool areas.

also they should put in a low voltage electric discharge strip that stings you when you are hit in-game!! this would make SSBM the ultimate fun experience and highly personnal to the guy who loses.- this should come as standard on theyre next console.

including gyroscopes, and microphone for live movie script rpg's, and kareoke

also a shock air pressure valve in the middle that blasts air in your face at the most shock/scary parts in survival horrors

also the idea of squirting water in your face is really funny for punishment games (like the shock idea), interactive innovative fun at its best- but highly unlikly or too good to be true

Last edited by FinalSolace2; 03-19-2005 at 08:56 AM.