The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > Community Board

Old 02-25-2005, 04:22 PM   #1
Bango Skank
? Murder

Japan

Has this site been raped by Japan?

Seriousy. I'm just confused. I look around the forums, at first glance I see some pretty intelligent posters, but after a while I notice an excessive amount of Japanese garbage. On the front page there's a whole area devoted to Japanese realease dates, a good portion of every news article is Japanese gaming, many of the members of the forum have Japanese names, there are Japanese game scores thrown around all over the place, and even horrible little anime smilies ( :annoyed: ).

It doesn't make sense. Japanese gamers are so different from North American and European gamers that most games that sell horribly in Japan do just the opposite everywhere else, and vice versa. Japan isn't even the big leagues when it comes to making or breaking a game anymore, most gamers are from Europe or America.

What the hell is with the infatuation!?
Goes away..
In the end..
Bango Skank is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

Moving to Community

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Kight, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
THE ICHI
Touch me and I will cut u

I LOVE JAPAN!
THE ICHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Magicbox is a Japanese video game import news site. I started to come here when the NeoGeo Pocket Color was still out and NeoGeo Pocket Sector used to link to Magicbox for news all the time. There are a bunch of members here that cut their teeth on Japanese games during the NES, SMS, SNES, TG-16/PC Engine, NeoGeo and Genesis(all Japanese consoles) days. Companies like Konami, Capcom, Nintendo, Sega, SNK, Tecmo and others have put out some great games over the years.

I love American and European games as well. Don't hate, enjoy games from all over, that's my moto. Each region has cool and unique games to offer.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

There's does seem to be alot of Japanese anime and video game fans but hey that's always cool.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #6
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

A better question would be, why does it matter?

Would you rather us hang on how we are 1337 SN1P3R$ in Hal0?
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:46 PM   #7
Joe Redifer
Olé!

<--- Seconds Mr. Bombay's comments. Also does not believe that Bombay has his Phd.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
Chrono081

err yeah, mabye because this is an international game site?
Chrono081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
Nem
Smash bro!

My easy explanation is that most good console games come from japan, so its only natural for us to be influenced by it and look for the latest info. The main site was always japan orientated first and i guess thats also one of the reasons many of us stayed around. Im also a fan of Anime/manga so it really goes all the way with me

Japan has our souls

Quote:
Japanese gamers are so different from North American and European gamers that most games that sell horribly in Japan do just the opposite everywhere else, and vice versa.
Personally, i hope we are contributing to change that. Many good games dont see release due to that and both markets should get more good products and less garbage.

Last edited by Nem; 02-25-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:28 AM   #10
Reivenlocke
Leeeeroy Jenkinzzzzz!

What is it with the recent infestation of snide little noobs? Many Japanese games eventually release in other areas of the world, so while gaming tastes may be different, the scores and sales do have some relevance to eventual scores and sales everywhere else in some cases.

Also, you've already made up your mind about gaming in Japan in general and so have we. We'll most likely keep talking about scores and sales, and we probably won't stop just because you don't like it. So, if you don't like it, make like a tree and get out of here. No one is keeping you here or making you read the posts. :annoyed:

"In the 80s, I was in bed by 8......and home by 11! OH!" - Glen Quagmire, Family Guy

"Good guy wins, bad guy loses. BIG FRIGGIN SURPRISE THERE!" - White Goodman, Dodgeball
Reivenlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:32 AM   #11
1337haxxor
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bango Skank
Has this site been raped by Japan?

Seriousy. I'm just confused. I look around the forums, at first glance I see some pretty intelligent posters, but after a while I notice an excessive amount of Japanese garbage. On the front page there's a whole area devoted to Japanese realease dates, a good portion of every news article is Japanese gaming, many of the members of the forum have Japanese names, there are Japanese game scores thrown around all over the place, and even horrible little anime smilies ( :annoyed: ).

It doesn't make sense. Japanese gamers are so different from North American and European gamers that most games that sell horribly in Japan do just the opposite everywhere else, and vice versa. Japan isn't even the big leagues when it comes to making or breaking a game anymore, most gamers are from Europe or America.

What the hell is with the infatuation!?
lay off the racism yo, this isn't the MagicBox (pure white blood blue eyed germanic peopls only!) Forums. I don't see anything wrong with embracing the Japanese markets, after all, where would video gamming be with out Japan?
1337haxxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:50 AM   #12
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

This site does focus many of the sales in Japan but it does help to see how well the game sells because that could be the deciding factor if it will be released outside of Japan. It's also nice to see how well the game is reviewed before it comes here.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:17 AM   #13
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337haxxor
this isn't the MagicBox (pure white blood blue eyed germanic peopls only!) Forums.
White blood? Yuck. I am a honkey cracker myself and I can reassure you that that my blood is red. Now if you'll excuse me, I have other races to opress like EVERYBODY of my kind does.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:18 AM   #14
Reivenlocke
Leeeeroy Jenkinzzzzz!

Try oppressing me, and I'll be o-pressing this fist into your forehead, whiteboy!

"In the 80s, I was in bed by 8......and home by 11! OH!" - Glen Quagmire, Family Guy

"Good guy wins, bad guy loses. BIG FRIGGIN SURPRISE THERE!" - White Goodman, Dodgeball
Reivenlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:23 AM   #15
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Oh that's it. Little do you know that I have superpowers. I show now transform into THE MAN and defeat your accursed colored ("coloured" in Canada) hide! I shall rob 401K's and drain the rescources of the elderly in order to finance my victory!