The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 04-23-2002, 02:44 AM   #1
Onmitsu

Question Sony and Us

I would just like to ask you guys whether you think Sony have treated their customers well over the few years....When deciding please think about the launch day with the ALRIGHT games and how they are expecting us to pay for the NEtwork connector and HDD.....Think about how we had to buy a new multi-tap to play games with friends. Think about how our old memory cards basically became obsolete in terms of PS2 usage. Think about the prices of these items and tell me whether Sony are treating us well.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 03:00 AM   #2
typexig
-Drifter-

i think sony have treated me pretty good, with all the great games i have right now....at first i was mad cuz i didnt get a ps2 when it first launched cuz it was sold out.. but after i got it 4-6months later after it launched i felt really good..as for the hdd and the internet thinggy. ama get it..i dont care if i have to pay $100-$200 cuz i can get that in much money in two weeks.=)
typexig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 03:05 AM   #3
grahf

Wait, let me get this straight. You expect Sony to apologize for not including a HDD/BB unit, not supporting 4 controller ports, and not allowing PS1 memory cards to work with the PS2 system? Oh my god, run for the hills everyone, the sky is falling because sony chosed to be smart.

Let's look at the facts here for a moment shall we? If Sony would have included a HDD/BB unit, how much would this cost? 400,500? Did you know that less than 30 percent of the world has broad band? Think about it, why would Sony want to incorperate a technology that has yet to proved itself as reliable or even profited onto their console? If you look at it from a business point of view, then you'd see that this was not only a brilliant, but also a cost effective choice.

Now you complain about PS2 not having 4 controller ports? Hm let's see, how many games have we seen that uses all 4 controllers? Not many if I recall. Even on the N64, there weren't quite that many games that supports 4 player. The idea of having to purchase FOUR controllers, $120, might not have bode well with many gamers, at least not to me. So you see, perhaps this decision was actually benificial to the everyone.

Non compatible PS1 memory card with PS2 system? Well this is quite obvious, the inherit limitation of the PS1 MC is to be blame. It's not sony's or anyone's fault.

Onmitsu, please think before you drone on and on about such trivial matters.

Last edited by grahf; 04-23-2002 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-23-2002, 03:10 AM   #4
testtubebaby

ugh, coupled with his console bias' topic in general, it's plain to see that Onmitsu is a big xbox/M$ fan...

do us a favor and stick to your designated forum, as all you seem to do is piss people off.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:06 AM   #5
ATMA
Gamer junkie

yep i have to agree with grahf i mean there's not alot of games that support the 4 players thingie
and i don't think just because sony didn't put the 4 ports and the hdd on the ps2 . means it's treating us bad i'm happy with sony right now and i have a great confidence in the ps2 things looks bright in the future for sony my opinion is sony is treating us verry good !!! BEEFCAAAAAKE
Old 04-23-2002, 01:33 PM   #6
pfk

i must admit i'm not always happy with sony decision but they seem to know what they're doing, they took nintendo's no1 spot!

the 4 controller should be standard but my biggest complant is the dvd drive. I've got a US ps2 on day one and i'd figure it would'nt last me 5 years (ps1 experience) but when the drive could'nt read dvds in only 9-12 month i was in shock. I bought a new one. i wanted to buy a separate dvd for movies only but it could'nt read dvd games neither so i had to go with a new ps2. and now another 6-9 month it's starting to skip more and more, specially at the beginning of the movies... so i'm saving for a real dvd player

aside fro that i love my ps2, there's just too many great games!! and now the net play is upon us!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2002, 01:49 PM   #7
gopheraaron

I agree that the 4 controller should be standard since the trend of gaming nowadays is having more and more players at the same time.
As for the HDD, I think its just a plain rib off, I hate add-ons of anykind, I think its just a way to lure more money.
And the games, they're great, I'm fine with them.
But denfinetly the price of the US PS2 console has to be reduced. The Japanese and Asian PS2s are only selling at 240USD, that's not fair for us.
Old 04-23-2002, 02:21 PM   #8
Strider2040

k
Old 04-23-2002, 02:44 PM   #9
Onmitsu

well it seems like some of you guys dont understand the question. To put it bruntly, Sony gave us crap games at launch, i only ended up buying Timesplitters and Tekken Tag. Even mags said that the launch games were rubbish...i dont really care how many ports are on a console but what i did care about is that my old multi tap was made redundant as Sony wanted a new multi tap. In my house, money is no object so Grtapf you can keep your mouth shut as im probably more of a Sony fan than you, maybe you should start reading reviews.

I love the games i have on PS2 but when i look back to launch day, i remember the way it was...Magazines saying Sony have treated their customers badly...You may not like it but its true...Sony seemed to just know that we would buy the console no matter what happened ( the fool i was).

I am basically talking about the shortage of consoles on launch, the crap games at launch, the PRICE of the network connector, HDD and monthly fees (on certain games). one in ten is the pick up rate for add ons (Go to any games site and it will tell you). IF this is the case you would of thought that Sony lowered their prices.
The xbox cost 299 with a HDD and a BD unit inside...Sony could of easily done that...This would allow developers to make games knowing that everyone has the same standard...Now that some people will buy the HDD and BD unit, the developer is left stuck thinking whether to create a game that uses the HDD or not....

One question...Why do you think developers program on PS2? Only because they know they will make money. Not becasue Sony are this wonderful company.

I have a PS2 SO TESTUBEBABY go back to the test tube you came from.

Grapf is just upset as he believes that the media doesnt belong in his life...actually i think you dont know how to use the media to make decisions on certain things. For example games. As UK importer said, you are quite DUMB.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:44 PM   #10
testtubebaby

Quote:
Originally posted by Onmitsu
I have a PS2 SO TESTUBEBABY go back to the test tube you came from.
oh, like i haven't heard that one a thousand times...

and the ps2 had no shortage of good games at launch (easily stomping xbox's launch offerings)... i picked up ssx, armored core 2, and unreal tourny... all those games were very enjoyable until other games that needed more development time came out.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:29 PM   #11
gabriel
infinity in finity

Quote:
Grapf is just upset as he believes that the media doesnt belong in his life...actually i think you dont know how to use the media to make decisions on certain things. For example games. As UK importer said, you are quite DUMB.
If media told you to jump off a bridge, would you? All I hear from you is "I read in a magazine that...", or "This game got a good review so obviously it's good." I know those quotes are paraphrased, but it still gets my point across. Try basing your opinions on what you think yourself, not what you read in some magazine.

As for the question at hand, I think it's hard for a manufacturer of a product to be treating it's customers poorly, unless their games are giving you cancer or something.

BTW, nice sig Testtube, Trainspotting is great
gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 05:53 PM   #12
pfk

Thumbs up

personnally i did'nt cry over the launch games, i got Tekken tag, Nhl 2001 and ssx right away (those preorder bundles). On the first night i only had ssx and beleive me i played it til 6 in the morning

played TTT until i couldn't stand Eddy but i still play some tekken bowl once in a while. And for me EA sport NHL series is the game i buy every year and i play more then enough so it's woth it.

so to date i was very happy, i got midnight club wich i liked even more than Midtown, Smugglers run... then came onimusha wich i loved enough to go thru twice... TM: Black, GT3 wich i still play (approching 70%), tony3... gta3... mgs2...

i'll stop here but if you aske me, the games were there from day on and there's just too many ahead!!!

yes there were jaggies, semi-next gen graphics but i sincerely had a load of fun

Last edited by pfk; 04-23-2002 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:00 PM   #13
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

I think that Sony doesn't stand by there customers the way they should. I mean the software is great and accesories are great but the quality of the hardware SUCKS. Sony uses there low-end circuitry for there PS systems. I've gone through 2 PS ones and my PS2 is already starting to breakdown with "Disc read errors". And it's not because my house is dirty and dusty because it's not. I keep my systems and games clean and in a reasonably dust free enviornment. I just think they make horrible hardware. I've never had this sort of problem with my Nintendo systems or Sega systems because they are built strong and built to last. The reason Sony has a large user base is because 50% of the people who own a system have to buy another one because the original breaks. Sad but true. Don't get me wrong because I love my PS2 I just hate the quality of it. Very sub par.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 06:12 PM   #14
pfk

you got that right Vic, i used 2 ps1 and i bought the 1st one when FFVII came out...

it assures Sony that their customer won't buy other console since they have to rebuy theirs every 2 year ;)
Old 04-23-2002, 07:11 PM   #15
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

The whole HDD/BBN are all just optional. Right now there are only a handful of games that are announced that can use online capabilities. Besides FFXI, you can play all the other game offline. You don't need to buy both of them, you can just buy the Sony adapter($40) and use you'r own modem. You have pay for online games on the systems also. So in the end they all even out. PSO has been announced that it will be P2P.

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote