The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 02-14-2005, 05:20 PM   #1
Alan1888
Take on Me...

Question HELP! Upgrading computer need ADVICE!

I'm currently running....

AMD Sempron 2800+ 2.0gHz processor
224mb RAM
32 or 64Mb integrated graphix
Win xp Pro

what sould i upgrade first... i got ?250, bout $400

all help would be appreciated, i really just want it to be able to run new games a little faster, even my friends copy of sims 2 lags alot on this pc

Old 02-14-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Well obviously you need a graphics card first. Then you should get some more ram. With $400 it should be easy to get a Geforce 6600 and a stick of 512 MB of ram.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Alan1888
Take on Me...

thanks, i get all confused with this stuff, thers a guy who lives a couple o miles away ill get everything in his pc store for like half price so hopefully ill get better than what i'm going for
Old 02-14-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

I'd actually go with RAM first. That'll never get old. Go with a solid gig. The save up for a nice graphics card. I'd push you in the direction of a Radeon.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
Nem
Smash bro!

in case you go for Radeon you better get a Radeon 9000 or better (a little better is recomended) if you want it to run most recent games (FFXI for example doesnt run in less then that).
Old 02-14-2005, 11:20 PM   #6
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

I'd suggest the new X-00 series. I wanted to get an X900 myself, but those are a little much. An X-600 will be fine.

My Radeon 9200 runs Doom 3 at the highest settings.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:34 AM   #7
Alucard

Your next upgrade is going to be a bit of a bitch by the looks of it.. For now I'd recommend 512mb ram at the LEAST and depending on money, nothing under a 9800pro. An X800 would be great since that would keep you happy for the next year or two before you had to do some changing with your cpu, which would ultimately lead to a new motherboard.

Bombay, your 9200 runs Doom 3 at 'fake' high settings. The card isnt strong enough to use the high rez textures, so even though you have your settings at highest, believe me its not. The game is locking itself to your cards abilities when it comes to textures.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:39 AM   #8
crystalclear

Get RAM over anything else, anyway youd most likely have to get a new Motherboard if you want to get a decent graphics card, what you currently have "Integrated Graphics" means the graphics chip is built into the Mobo, and this also means there wont be an AGP slot(Accelerated Graphics Port, if you want a GFX card you want to get an AGP gfx card, not a PCI). so to get a new gfx card, this would also result in getting a new Motherboard, which will also result in re-installing windows and formatting your hard drives.
And in the end the gfx card will only improve your games, RAM will improve everything, plus most games ned atleast 512mb to run alright, so its quite an easy solution.....get a stick of 512mb Ram and your computer will be kicking ass!
After that you may want to do the above and get a whole new Motherboard, Graphics card e.t.c but for now stick with getting RAM.
crystalclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:30 AM   #9
Reko8

The new computer im gettign is about the same as his, I'm getting an
AMD Semperon 3000+
64MB Video Card (good enough for me)
256MB RAM
Windows XP and all that other crap

The RAM is going to be my first upgrade before I do anything else and my graphics are soldered (didn't spell right) into the motherboard also.
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #10
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalclear
Get RAM over anything else, anyway youd most likely have to get a new Motherboard if you want to get a decent graphics card, what you currently have "Integrated Graphics" means the graphics chip is built into the Mobo, and this also means there wont be an AGP slot(Accelerated Graphics Port, if you want a GFX card you want to get an AGP gfx card, not a PCI). so to get a new gfx card, this would also result in getting a new Motherboard, which will also result in re-installing windows and formatting your hard drives.

Thats not entirely correct. There are some boards that are like you say, but practically all of them already come with an AGP slot. All you do is go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video card, which will then let you use the new one you plug in.

Also, if anyones planning on upgrading majorly, I would really REALLY advise on going the way of SLI and ignoring the older AGP upgrades. Thats going to be phased out sooner or later, and the ability to double your speed by slapping in a second video card thats identical to the one you already have, well that speaks for itself. I remember in the old days when I had a simple Voodoo2. Then I was lucky enough down the track to buy a second one off someone I knew and slapped them in SLI format. My FPS doubled in every game. Believe me, if you have the money spare or are saving up for an upgrade, SLI is your only option.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
xenogears 2.0
reborn absentee

Sli? What's That?
xenogears 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:22 AM   #12
Alucard

SLI is the new format that motherboards and video cards will be supporting. Basically the AGP slot we all know of is gone, and you have 2 new slots That allow you to install 2 of the exact same video card for double the performance.

So basically think of it like this... I have a 9800pro. ITs not doing too well because its outdated. I want to upgrade to the new X800 but they are SO expensive.. Wait, I'll go out and buy another 9800pro for about $120, hook that inside and have 2 9800pro's running together, boosting my performance to around an X800 for a 3rd of the price. Thats how the theory goes. You just need to look at the video card to know what you will or wont be getting in terms of performance increase. ITs super spiffy.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:43 AM   #13
xenogears 2.0
reborn absentee

that sounds awesome!! two graphic cards at the same time!! what motherboards support that?
xenogears 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:31 AM   #14
Alucard

Heaps of them. Specifically all the new boards with the nForce 4 chipset. I think I should probably make a thread about it, considering my older thread for PC upgrading and info is gone, though would be outdated by now.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #15
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
Heaps of them. Specifically all the new boards with the nForce 4 chipset. I think I should probably make a thread about it, considering my older thread for PC upgrading and info is gone, though would be outdated by now.

Theres like 6-7 boards that support SLI that I know of for amd boards. I dont know if there are any for a penitum board, I cant seem to find them. I know that Gigabyte made a penitum SLI board in late November, but I cant find it anywhere. That doesnt sound like heaps to me. And how would you use 2 radeon 9800 pro's? I thought SLI only use PCI-express X16 slots?

OMG, I cant believe Im going up against Alucard in a PC discussion! :yikes: Plz prove me wrong and put me back in my place.

Last edited by SpaceManSpiff; 02-18-2005 at 11:25 PM.
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote