The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 09-10-2002, 03:26 PM   #16
FumieHosokawa
changed how I judge women

Quote:
Originally posted by DBJAY
In general, I view this as a Gran Turismo situtation where the replays are visually more polished than the actual game. It still looks great, but they clearly are two different levels of quality.
Welcome to the world of FMV, which began with the PlayStation in '95. There are plusses and minuses to it: you feel gypped when you get to the actual gameplay (I remember someone ridiculously insisting that Saturn Panzer Dragoon resemble its beautiful cut scenes all throughout), but even as recently as Xbox Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I'll cringe during story moments when I have to listen to the blocky, albeit real-time characters.
FumieHosokawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 05:19 PM   #17
DBJAY

Buffy is a good example. In game models actually look better than the cut scenes. Usually it's the other way around. I hope StarFox Adventures is not doing this to a huge degree, but time will tell. IMO, Metroid Prime is the best looking GC coming this fall.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 05:35 PM   #18
ATMA
Gamer junkie

-NYU-

What's wrong with the game if the cg or cut scenes looks better than the character model or the in game graphics? ..since when is this a part in making a great game? Yes SF looks amazing i'm happy with it the way it is, but IMO this game will score even higher in story/gameplay/originality! So don't judge a game by just a cg or the graphics that's totaly wrong!!
Old 09-10-2002, 05:38 PM   #19
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Re: -NYU-

Quote:
Originally posted by ATMA
What's wrong with the game if the cg or cut scenes looks better than the character model or the in game graphics? ..since when is this a part in making a great game? Yes SF looks amazing i'm happy with it the way it is, but IMO this game will score even higher in story/gameplay/originality! So don't judge a game by just a cg or the graphics that's totaly wrong!!
Amen. Gameplay is what matter. :cool guy:
Old 09-10-2002, 08:01 PM   #20
DBJAY

My only issue with the use of CG and movie sequences is when they are used to advertise the game without ever showing what the actual game looks like. Nintendo has mostly avoided putting out such material, but if anyone recalls, Squaresofts commercials for FFX was exclusively cg material. I have seen enough screens of StarFox A. to wonder if the best shots of the game aren't gameplay at all, especially after my brief hands-on experience and if you read my original response, I did mention that the game controls really well. Just being a cautious consumer.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 08:04 PM   #21
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Quote:
Originally posted by DBJAY
My only issue with the use of CG and movie sequences is when they are used to advertise the game without ever showing what the actual game looks like. Nintendo has mostly avoided putting out such material, but if anyone recalls, Squaresofts commercials for FFX was exclusively cg material. I have seen enough screens of StarFox A. to wonder if the best shots of the game aren't gameplay at all, especially after my brief hands-on experience and if you read my original response, I did mention that the game controls really well. Just being a cautious consumer.
Square has always use CG for their game commercials. From FF7 to the present.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:16 PM   #22
Kid0_oIcarus
wha-?

Um... well, you did say that Nintendo avoided doing this.. so good for you. Since, Nintendo has shown off in-game screenshots as well as CG (and you could obviously tell) shots.. also in their commercials they've done the same.. shown you in-game footage and CG footage.

I just wanted to clarify, in case someone misunderstood you.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:56 PM   #23
ATMA
Gamer junkie

-NYU-

Have you guys heard that STAR fOX recieved a 6/10 in a japanese magazine?
it wasn't Famitsu or Dengeki ! it was another one! Anybody seen this and know why they gave it that score? ???
Old 09-11-2002, 09:09 PM   #24
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

+__Overlord___/ __/ _/

Star Fox was never expected to do that great in Japan. A lot of games that get good reviews here, get medicore reviews there. And vice-versa.

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 09:12 PM   #25
ATMA
Gamer junkie

-NYU-

Well not that i cared about the score (i never follow those) i'll buy this game no matter what! But still i was alittle surprised though about the score!
I wonder what famitsu will give the game!
Old 09-11-2002, 09:13 PM   #26
ATMA
Gamer junkie

-NYU-

I got the name of the magazine "DORIMAGA" anybody familiar with them?
Old 09-11-2002, 09:22 PM   #27
FumieHosokawa
changed how I judge women

Yup, like how Super Metroid wasn't as popular over there as it was here. I'm guessing GC Prime will be even more so, especially since FPS's are not the Japanese's cup of tea--look how sorry the mighty/awesome/best-game-ever Halo fared; worse than no-name games like Animal Leader.
FumieHosokawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 09:31 PM   #28
ATMA
Gamer junkie

-NYU-

Well i will not judge this game until i play it but a score like this will deffently warn alot of people! ..I know i will like this game but ofcourse i'm trying to be realism here, i mean there's a chance that this game is bad indeed but before we all start to judge or start a war lets just wait and see and ignore all we hear!!!

Just wanted to know who this magazine was so i brought up the subject! But if you feel you will burst at me or the magazine ..just ignore it and let it go ..remember it's their opinion ..!! So fellow members don't pay attention to the score
it's a matter of taste!

Perhaps another sign of weakness from RARE? Perhaps Nintendo knew this allready and that's why handed up the rights to devolpe a new Star Fox to Namco ? Who knows what's going on behind the screens!
Old 09-11-2002, 09:41 PM   #29
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

+__Overlord___/ __/ _/

Nintendo gave Namco the rights to make the Star Fox game because they have more experiance in that field. Plus, they're already close Devs with the Tri-Force board, this just means that Namco and Nintendo will most likely be working really closely in the following years. There were reports of people leaving RARE, but I think it was only in the PD department. Maybe the game was rushed? If the game is 80+ hours, maybe it has a lot of backtracking, and might be really tedioius. Plus, it has more of Zelda like battle system to it.

...And you must think a lot of yourself if you think guy's here would want to burst on you.

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.

Last edited by Overlord; 03-30-2003 at 07:43 AM.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 09:53 PM   #30
ATMA
Gamer junkie

*1000*

*summoning ANIMA for Overlord*

Well i can imagine some members here going crazy for bringing that subject here so i was just trying to help them that's all

(i just had to reply on this one so i wasted my 1000th!)