The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 01-10-2005, 12:27 PM   #1
Rubeus

1UP Awards: Best of 2004

1UP Awards: Best of 2004

-- looks like all these guys care for are graphics, graphics and graphics. Innovative title shouldn't go to Splinter Cell, it should be Donkey Konga or something like that... and I don't agree DOAU is the best fighting game of year, it may have the best graphics, but it is nothing new, I'd rather choose Guilty Gear Isuka for its 4 players mode.

---------------------

We asked, and you voted. Now here are the games you chose as the best of the previous year. Among hundreds of great titles to hit the stores over the past twelve months, these were the ones you enjoyed the most. The 1UP Awards were handed out at this year's Consumer Electronics Show, but we've reprinted them here just in case you couldn't make it to Vegas for the show! Congratulations to all the winners, and to everyone who voted -- thanks!

MMO
World of Warcraft (PC/Mac, Blizzard)
Some have called World of Warcraft the greatest massively multiplayer RPG ever made. Even gamers who don't care for MMOs have been eager to hop aboard and give it a play. Such is Blizzard's reputation and following -- you've told us that you know the name Blizzard means quality. WOW builds on the company's excellence, making its victory no real surprise.

Most Innovative
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow (PS2/Xbox/PC, Ubisoft)
The past year has given us a lot of sequels and a lot of rip-offs. But even as the Mega Man series saw its fiftieth through fifty-fourth entries and Mario dabbled in golf and tennis yet again, there was still room for innovation. And you said that nothing in 2004 was as original as Splinter Cell's creative and addictive multiplayer mode, which incorporated strategy and stealth to prove that "deathmatch" doesn't always have to mean "running around like an idiot blowing things up."

Online/Multiplayer
Halo 2 (Xbox, Bungie, Microsoft)
When you play a shooter with others, do you prefer a standard deathmatch? A capture-the-flag team challenge? King of the hill? Kill the guy with the ball? Whatever your poison, Halo 2 has your hookup. With Live support right out of the box, streamlined group management, a vast array of options, carefully balanced ranking ladders and division topped off with the delicious cherry of Bungie's excellent gameplay, you agreed that nothing in 2004 came close to the multiplayer experience that was Halo 2.

Fighting/Wrestling
Dead or Alive Ultimate (Xbox, Team Ninja, Tecmo)
Who'd have thought that the hottest Fighter of 2004 would be a game originally released five years ago? But DOA Ultimate wasn't simply a straight rehash -- though the action was based on Dead or Alive 2, a breathtaking graphical facelift made it one of the best-looking games ever. Even more importantly, it featured a robust online fighting mode that let gamers duke it out over Xbox Live.

Adventure
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2, Rockstar North, Rockstar)
Huge. There's just no better word to describe Rockstar North's latest Grand Theft Auto adventure. The territory was huge, encompassing three cities and a dozen towns in the equivalent of two U.S. states. The hype was huge. The sales have been huge. The talent was huge, with luminaries like Samuel L. Jackson and Peter Fonda providing excellent acting contributions. And your enthusiasm for the game is still huge, months after its release, easily making it the Adventure game of the year.

Sports
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (PS2/Xbox/GC/PC, Neversoft, Activision)
Tony Hawk is still kicking it in the underground, and apparently you wouldn't have it any other way. Although the open-ended questing of THUG2 took this skateboard extravaganza a ways off the beaten path, the series' tight control and killer trick combos are as entertaining as ever and gave Tony Hawk a slight edge over perennial favorite John Madden.

Action
Ninja Gaiden (Xbox, Team Ninja, Tecmo)
2004 was in many ways the year of the Xbox, and you could point to Ninja Gaiden as the game that kicked it off. Although great games released in January often go overlooked when it comes time for year-end voting, you were so impressed by Ninja Gaiden that it was still your favorite action game nearly a year later. One of the most beautiful -- and difficult -- games ever, Ninja Gaiden was welcome proof that Team Ninja knows more than jiggly fighting games.

Racing
Burnout 3 (PS2/Xbox, Criterion, Electronic Arts)
Racing games just keep looking better and playing more realistically. But it wasn't realism that made Burnout 3 your favorite racer of 2004 -- what you loved was the sheer mayhem and over-the-top carnage. Criterion's manic, smash-em-up road ripper proved that a clever idea backed with sweet graphics and addictive action can be even more appealing than high-fidelity perfection.

Shooter
Many will argue that the honor of Best Shooter should belong to Half-Life 2, which in some ways surpassed Bungie's hit. But while Half-Life 2 is still in many ways a work in progress, Halo 2 is a complete package right out of the box. Its combination of a solid campaign mode and the hottest online multiplayer experience of 2004 helped it edge out Valve's beautiful PC FPS.

Strategy/Simulation
The Sims 2 (PC, Maxis, Electronic Arts)
Full Spectrum Warrior (PC/Xbox/PS2, Pandemic/THQ)
We asked what you thought was the year's best simulation, your response was: "We can't decide." Ultimately, it was a toss-up between Maxis' The Sims 2 and Pandemic's Full Spectrum Warrior. Although the two games were worlds apart -- one a whimsical slice of suburban life, the other an ultra-detailed urban combat simulation -- the one thing neither lacked was quality. The Sims 2 took a great idea and made it even better, while FSW gave gamers a completely new look at the art of war. Therefore congratulations are in order to both games for their addictive, mind-teasing action.

RPG
Fable (Xbox, Lionhead, Microsoft)
There were plenty of great RPGs in 2004, from the spooky (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne) to the strategic (Phantom Brave), but only one RPG was so good that its creator was knighted. Apparently you agreed with the British Empire and voted Peter Molyneaux's long-awaited Xbox epic Fable the best role-playing experience of the year. Although Fable took plenty of heat from critics for being far less than originally promised, plenty of gamers felt that the experience was still more compelling than any other RPG you care to name.

Game of the Year
Few games have commanded as much hype and excitement as Halo 2 -- of all the games released in 2004, it was quite arguably the biggest. And based on your votes, it looks like the game lived up to expectations. Visually stunning, with an expertly-told story, slick gameplay and an insane number of multiplayer options, you said Halo 2 was the game to beat last year.

Last edited by Rubeus; 01-10-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I wouldn't worry anything about what 1up says. I wouldn't care for their reviews, previews or awards for anything. If they by chance have news worth reading then that's the only time I visit.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

I must say that the multiplayer in Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow was ultra cool and very innovative. Third person stealth action versus first person shooter action, stealth vs firepower, way cool. Then there were all the cool spy gadgets such as motion detectors, sticky cams, night/thermal vision, flash bangs, smoke grenades, anti personel mines, high tech guns, etc, incorperated into the multiplayer. In first person mode as a Merc., the way your vision would stay blurry for a short time after walking through a smoke grenade was way cool. Your night vision would take a while to come back after a flash bang was set off. The team aspect of the multiplayer also forced you to use the Xbox communicator if you wanted to have any chance of winning. The level design was also great. The two level movie theater with the arcade in it is one of the best multiplayer levels of all time.

The multiplayer was also intergated into the single player story very well. The multiplayer in Pandora is part of the single player story.

I must say, that at the begining of the year with Ninja Gaiden and Pandora Tomorrow, I was in gaming nirvana.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Dr. Bombay
ificouldjustbemorehuman

LOL.

The fact that Fable got RPG of the year only shows how retarded this list is.

Forget it. 1-UP loses.
~And The Lies There, The Scent Of It, Just Too Much~

~So Should You~
~Sow It Once and Make It Grow, The Sweet Clematis~
~Let It Flower, and Paint it All Of The Colors Old~
Instantly Things Fall and Fade, Return to Silence~
~Why Oh Why, Why Does It All Feel So Sorrowful?~
~Dreams Of What Is Real~
Dr. Bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Nindalf

You people do know this was voted by the readers, not picked by 1-UP staff?
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:01 PM   #6
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

This is just as bad as the Spike TV Video game awards.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindalf
You people do know this was voted by the readers, not picked by 1-UP staff?
Well that just goes to show you who goes to 1-up, let alone votes there...idiots!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #8
Nem
Awakening

All is said. just the sight of Fable has RPG of the year, with contenders like KOTOR2 and TOS tells you everything you need to know about the nature of these awards.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:56 PM   #9
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

I like the choice of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tommorow's multiplayer as the most innovative and fun (a hard combo to produce) presentation for 2004. So 1up gets my thumbs up for their selection on innovation and action(Ninja Gaiden), but not much after that. I don't think Halo 2 should be game of the year, either.

Wow, it seems like SC:Pandora Tommorow might be reaching underrated status...

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:49 PM   #10
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

One thing I hate about the multiplayer in Splinter Cell 2 is the spawn camping. You can't do **** after they get once. If your partner can't help you then your screwed.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #11
laicher21

Spawn camping seems to be more and more of a problem in recent games. I t happens in Battlefront as well. People just sit in the corner and before you can react, you are dead. Thats useless, why would I play a game like that?

I am the eggman, I am the walrus
laicher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #12
Alucard

response to all the categories Halo2 got voted into....

gyahahahahahahaha...oh my sides hurt.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:34 PM   #13
crystalclear

"Its combination of a solid campaign mode "
Lmao, Halo 2's campaign mode was anything but solid, it was short lived.
crystalclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:10 AM   #14
Drunken Savior
Mahjikbahks is dying.

I'd say Halo 2's campaign was good, but it was short. Definately didn't have any flaws (subjective, I know) other than it's ending and length. The level's with Master Chief are good, but the levels with the Arbitor are...well..not so good. Pretty stale.

Steam ID: drunkensavior
TwitchTV: Mr. Orthoclase
Games I'm hyped for
Transistor, The Witcher 3, Watch_Dogs, Star Citizen, Destiny, Alien: Isolation, The Division
Drunken Savior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:09 AM   #15
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

This truely is a pathetic award list. Game of the Year should have went to Half-Life, Rpg award should have gone to Paper Mario. I can not believe after all the complaints and bad mouthing towards Fable they would actually give it an award. The game is so flawed and disqualified itself when its own creator apologized for its creation. This list is very cliched with the typical hyped up games. I am starting to agree with Icarus that the industry is getting rather bland and going down a pretty crappy path especially when games that are not that special when awards.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Yahweh14518 Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote