The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > General Gaming Discussion

Old 11-23-2004, 09:53 PM   #1
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

This gen

The thought has crossed my mind many times and I'm sure that it's crossed everyone elses minds here. The lack of quality in games is becoming more and more commonplace in the video games of today. The people only supposedly care about graphics and pop culture, even Japan's quality has gone down. But I've come to find it isn't that bad if you have a ps2, but what about both or all three of this gen.Third parties have the common sense to make great games and make them for certain consoles, if they hate making games for the ps2 then they could switch to the xbox or gcn.

They choose not to because money is thier incentive, well if money is the only thing that they care about, then the gcn and xbox are just as big gold mines. Again this still doesn't change the fact that the overall quality of games today arent very common, nor does each console offer significant greatness in the sofware across all genres. The xbox, and gcn barely made my to buy list, while the ps2 was the very first thing. But back in the day I wanted a genesis and got an snes, I was content but I still wanted a genesis. The same happened with the saturn and ps1 and luckily my brother got a saturn and I got a ps1.

My friend got an n64 and believe it or not we played the hell out of that too. So whats left? Well all my freinds that own xbox's and ps2's had awsome libraries the same goes for me and my ps2. They also arent dumb enough to complain about the ps2's shortcomings like it's the end of the world. Meanwhile my friends that own a gcn don't have very many games for it. This brings me to games that are made for made for a console, by that I mean for that particular hardware.

If the ps2 can handle games like Okami, DMC3, The Bouncer, and Gradius V and have them run at 60fps, they must be doing something right on the ps2. With that, there really aren't many surprises graphically for the gcn and xbox, but theres many more left for them and the ps2. This is where the problem arises, the gcn and xbox are awsome peices of technology, it's obvious that the xbox and gcn will bring more pretty visuals, but will we get better games than the ones coming from Nintendo on the gcn? Will we get better games than Halo, and will people acknowledge them?

I hope so, cause this gen is also going to reflect the way that things will be done next gen. Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony can make all the awsome game consoles that they want, but if the game developers don't step up to the plate and make great games, we'll be stuck in this gen again, wondering where all our money went.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 09:58 PM   #2
bemanisuperstar
Banned

People don't make games for the cube because nintendo has always charged out the ass to develop for them and the returns aren't worth it
bemanisuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:00 PM   #3
Vert1
Banned

When you play RE4 you will be surprised by the graphics.

DMC3 doesn't look that graphically impressive from what I've seen.

Quote:
Meanwhile my friends that own a gcn don't have very many games for it.
There are some people in this world who will buy one game and be satisfied with it. Like my XBOX friend with Halo2.

GC doesn't have a steep price to make games for it from the last time I heard a report on it. It's just third parties are to caught up in making Sony a success. Microsoft doesn't have much third party luck either as they have to buy their exclusives like Nintendo does most the time.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:05 PM   #4
bemanisuperstar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1
When you play RE4 you will be surprised by the graphics.

DMC3 doesn't look that graphically impressive from what I've seen.

There are some people in this world who will buy one game and be satisfied with it. Like my XBOX friend with Halo2.

GC doesn't have a steep price to make games for it from the last time I heard a report on it. It's just third parties are to caught up in making Sony a success. Microsoft doesn't have much third party luck either as they have to buy their exclusives like Nintendo does most the time.
There are more exclusives on XBOX than Cube.........
that shoots down your fan boy theory right there
bemanisuperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 10:08 PM   #5
Vert1
Banned

I didn't say anything about whether GC has more or less exclusives than XBOX. That wasn't the point. There was no fanboy theory.

The point I am making is that Sony gets the majority of third parties and Nintendo and Microsoft are forced to get the scraps or buy their exclusives. Yet people will single Nintendo out and blame them for not having third parties on Cube when Nintendo does work to get third party offerings on Cube.

Argue all you want you know it's true.

My GC library is pretty balanced between Nintendo and third parties. In no way am I only buying GC for Nintendo games as some would.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:26 AM   #6
Mr.Fantastic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messanic
The thought has crossed my mind many times and I'm sure that it's crossed everyone elses minds here. The lack of quality in games is becoming more and more commonplace in the video games of today. The people only supposedly care about graphics and pop culture, even Japan's quality has gone down. But I've come to find it isn't that bad if you have a ps2, but what about both or all three of this gen.Third parties have the common sense to make great games and make them for certain consoles, if they hate making games for the ps2 then they could switch to the xbox or gcn.

They choose not to because money is thier incentive, well if money is the only thing that they care about, then the gcn and xbox are just as big gold mines. Again this still doesn't change the fact that the overall quality of games today arent very common, nor does each console offer significant greatness in the sofware across all genres. The xbox, and gcn barely made my to buy list, while the ps2 was the very first thing. But back in the day I wanted a genesis and got an snes, I was content but I still wanted a genesis. The same happened with the saturn and ps1 and luckily my brother got a saturn and I got a ps1.

My friend got an n64 and believe it or not we played the hell out of that too. So whats left? Well all my freinds that own xbox's and ps2's had awsome libraries the same goes for me and my ps2. They also arent dumb enough to complain about the ps2's shortcomings like it's the end of the world. Meanwhile my friends that own a gcn don't have very many games for it. This brings me to games that are made for made for a console, by that I mean for that particular hardware.

If the ps2 can handle games like Okami, DMC3, The Bouncer, and Gradius V and have them run at 60fps, they must be doing something right on the ps2. With that, there really aren't many surprises graphically for the gcn and xbox, but theres many more left for them and the ps2. This is where the problem arises, the gcn and xbox are awsome peices of technology, it's obvious that the xbox and gcn will bring more pretty visuals, but will we get better games than the ones coming from Nintendo on the gcn? Will we get better games than Halo, and will people acknowledge them?

I hope so, cause this gen is also going to reflect the way that things will be done next gen. Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony can make all the awsome game consoles that they want, but if the game developers don't step up to the plate and make great games, we'll be stuck in this gen again, wondering where all our money went.

you mean like half-life 2, pikmin 2, metroid prime 2, resident evil 4, halo 2, mario tennis, paper mario etc... those sorts of games?
Mr.Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 09:41 AM   #7
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

Haven't noticed still playing to many quality games to notice any difference from years gone there's still the same sorts of games there were 20years ago nothing has changed really.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
Nephlabobo
Banned

In February alone, there are around 7 or 8 games that I'd like to pick up.

This gen is like any other gen. It goes through highs and lows.

People always look backwards with rose coloured glasses.
Nephlabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 04:30 PM   #9
j_factor

There definitely isn't the quantity of good games that there used to be -- I could easily name 80 games I enjoyed from the year 1993, but would struggle to come up with half that for 2003.

There's also an increasing cognitive dissonance for me lately with what's praised and what isn't. It seems games these days are being praised for being "big" (you can do X number of things, such freedom! or, amazing realistic physics omgomg, or, it lasts 150 hours 10/10!) and criticised for being "small" (spy fiction was recently given low ratings because "the stealth mechanic isn't very realistic".. no ****, that's totally not the point of the game). If a game like Forgotten Worlds were to be released today, it would be "too hard, too short, too linear, too repetitive, not enough abilities -- 5/10".

Last edited by j_factor; 11-28-2004 at 04:33 PM.
j_factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:02 PM   #10
Mr.Fantastic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_factor
There definitely isn't the quantity of good games that there used to be -- I could easily name 80 games I enjoyed from the year 1993, but would struggle to come up with half that for 2003.

There's also an increasing cognitive dissonance for me lately with what's praised and what isn't. It seems games these days are being praised for being "big" (you can do X number of things, such freedom! or, amazing realistic physics omgomg, or, it lasts 150 hours 10/10!) and criticised for being "small" (spy fiction was recently given low ratings because "the stealth mechanic isn't very realistic".. no ****, that's totally not the point of the game). If a game like Forgotten Worlds were to be released today, it would be "too hard, too short, too linear, too repetitive, not enough abilities -- 5/10".
paper mario, 1/2 life 2 or metroid 2 alone would be better choices than all the game put together in 1993.
Mr.Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 08:38 PM   #11
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Hmm... Whats better, 80 great games from 1993, or 3 good sequals from 2004?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:33 AM   #12
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

I've played a bunch of great games this gen. I would say that the overall quality has even improved.

People seem to have a selective memory. There was also bucket loads of crap shovelware during the 8 and 16 bit days as well. Just off the top of my head, Jurassic Park, Cliffhanger, Days of Thunder, Robocop vs Terminator, Bubsy, Dennis the Menace, Mortal Kombat(Gameboy version), Dick Tracy, Water World, Cutthroats, Demolition Man, Peter Pan(based on the early 90's movie, under the Sony Imagesoft label). Practically every Sony Imagesoft game was based on a movie and sucked major arse. A rich gaming past, such as Atari, Nintendo and Sega, Sony does not have, that's for sure.

Anyone remember all the FMV crap during the Sega CD, early PC CD and 3DO days? To me, that was the low point in quality for the video game industry, the FMV days. Thank the gaming gods that genre didn't take off.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:44 AM   #13
Freeman

I agree in a way.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:33 AM   #14
NES4EVER
Gibby

I remember the FMV days, and Yes, I too agree that along with the "Make My Own Videos" also from the same time frame was the lowest point in gaming quality. I would sooner play Combat with a broken Joystick on my Atari than play 1 second again of Supreme Warrior, Power Rangers, & the likes. There were however some great games on the SegsCD & 3DO too so I still survived.

I don't think todays gen of games are overall less quality. There are just so many more games on the shelves than ever before that it makes it harder to find the better quality titles amongst the piles of dog **** surrounding them.
PSN ID - GIBBYVA
NES4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 08:54 AM   #15
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemanisuperstar
There are more exclusives on XBOX than Cube.........
that shoots down your fan boy theory right there
Because Microsoft make alot of bad games but nintendo only make great games and nintendo is the first party for GBA too so they have to make games for 2 systems
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote