The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 06-12-2005, 06:51 AM   #91
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Have you played Shadow Hearts 1 Paper? I liked it alot. It's worth getting if you can find it, you can probably get it cheap before you play Shadow Hearts 2.
No, I only bought the second one, but I may find the first one here, the only problem is that I have wasted all of my money and I am afraid that I find it here, but when I wait until next month, some one else buy it, so I don't want to feel this bad feeling again, I rather wait tell next month.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #92
Paper exe
Pwnd

Hamtaro Ham-Ham Games~GBA-Sports

I am back with reviewing GBA games.
Don't blame me, it has the best games in this gun, unlike it big sister. :annoyed:

Because I am cool, I most buy all cool games in the world, so it is no wonder that I will end up owning Hamtaro. This one is a spin off not a sequel, but you can still move freely in an area, don't forget hamha all of your friends. You can go to an area by just choosing it. Duh
The Music is not clear, which made me think that my GBA dose not work anymore, but it turned out that the game music is just not clear enough, maybe it was a mistake that the developers was too lazy to fix, thankfully this problem is only for the music, the sound effect is clear and good, but they still did not care for some details, meaning some stuff don't have sound effect at all! The game do have a great soundtrack, it has music that I actually want to here and was made, so that you can listen to, in fact you can choose a limited selection of music and DJ-Ham will jamout it in the next day, but you can only do that once every day and if it finished, he will play another music randomly like what he always do.

When you start the game, you can choose when is your birth day and write your name and choose your gender, male or female, you can even choose gay/Lisbine (or what ever these devils sisters called) you can even make up a signature. Mine turned out to be a cute gray and white hamster.
The worst part about this game is that you most link with 50 friends to unlock something. Now goodgo finding 50 people that owns this rear game. What were the developers thinking!?!
Also, why is there no 2 player mode instead of this crap?

In the Tournament mode (main mode) events happens in every day. The Tournament is only in a week (game time) there is no time limit. Every time you finish a game the game time go further. In every day, there are three sports events and in between them you can see a different show on TV and that about all of the exciting events in the game. After all the events finished in the day, all what you have to do is go to bed and like what I said you choose one of the areas then you can play freely in them and talk to hamsters and get money to buy cloths from TV, so that you can let your hamster (the one that was made after you write personal things about your self) be fashioned. The best part about this game is that before you play a game you can train or play the match and choose the difficulty, the harder the more money you will get, but if you lose or turned off your GBA, you cannot go back and it counted that you retreated in the match. The game counts how many medals you get. If you get first place, you get a gold one, second silver, third bronze and last, nothing. For no reason the animal team is mostly last, even thought they are the coolest around.

There is some side quests to make this little game bigger and last longer and some of them also higher the game replay value, that's all what I can say.
Hamtaro is good animated all the other hams has a lot of details. Hamataro word is colorful, but the world is just plain.
I will review some of the first sports, but not all of them, because I don't want to spoil the game, in that way I will hit two birds in one stone.

Hurdles
When the signal starts, press A, then you and all of the other hamsters will run in the same speed. You most jump over all the hurdles until you reach the finish line. Press B to jump, the jump take longer depends on how long you holed the B button. Try shortening your jump as short as possible to go over the hurdles, because you get slower by jumping. Every time you jump over a hurdle your speed will increase and if you press A just when you land, your speed will increase even more then just a normal jump.

Pole Vault
You most know that all sports in this game dose not need you to hurt your hand and head with pressing the button rapidly, which is one very good thing about this game. Press A to start running, when you are at a circle that has A button, press A to increase your speed, time it right to move even faster. When the character automatically put the pole on the colored square, a gauge will appear then a mark will go to the top of it, press A when it reaches the top, the higher the mark was, when you pressed A the better. Finally another gauge will appear and you have to do the same thing, the higher the better. Before you start, you have three chances and you can set height, but think before doing it, because you can only make it higher, so don?t be an idiot and make it too high that you cannot reach it and get a Pooie zero.

Triple Jump
Yes, there are two games that plays similar to the other and this is one of them, it is not just like Pole Vault, but it is similar. It has the same start, only that he get faster every time you press A in time and he can even run faster then the Pole Vault hamster. Press B to jump, when you reach the white line and before the red line. You can jump earlier, but you will not go as far as you can if you press it in the white line. When you land, hold B button then release it before the gauge reach the top, you most do that twice, so time your landing right.

Hammer Throw
Again you have to press A to start and you have three chances. He will spin the hammer 7 times automatically. In the top half of the circle that he will spin the hammer in, is a green gauge, when the hammer go through it, hold A button until it get out of the gauge area, the more you hold it and release it in time, the better result you will get. In the seventh turn, press B to threw the hammer, because if you did not, he will fall and you will get nothing and lose one of the three turns. If you throw it when it in the middle of the green gauge, it will go farther then any other area.

Tennis
It is tennis I don?t need to explain the rules.
If you press A, she will hit the ball a normal hit. If you press B, she will hit the ball high, which makes it slower, but harder to hit. When you press A or B and the ball is close, you can change the direction of the ball. Everything is very slow and you can easily miss the ball, which is very irritating and why I nopookie this game.

I reviewed enough Sports, but at lest you get the idea that this game is all about timing not unoriginal and stupid button mashing like Amazing Island games. I did not review the first sport that you play, because simply, I don?t count it as one of them, because it is just a starter game to give the player an idea of most of the sports and that it is needs timing. a gauge will appear then when the marker reach the end of it, press A to move faster and you will do that until you reach the gofor. There are only a total of 14 sports in this game, which is very few if you asked me.

Gameplay: (7/10)
Graphics: (6/10)
Sound: (7/10)
Longevity: (6/10)
Hamtaro Ham-Ham Games: (26/40)

Ohh, if you don?t know, I used some words from Ham-Ham Dictionary.
Ham-Chat/Meaning
Hamha/Greeting
Jamout/Play Music
Goodgo/Good Luck
Pooie/Uncool
Nopookie/Dislike
Gofor/Goal

Last edited by Paper exe; 09-26-2005 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:48 AM   #93
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

so paper, in your unbiased opinion, do you think the DS is worth buying. i want to get it, but i want to get the new Fire Emblem GBA at the same time. Since i dont own a SP i thought i would put up the extra $70 to get the DS. what do you think?

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear Wii U=MrBear14518
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 04:16 AM   #94
Paper exe
Pwnd

Wait for the red NDS (My favorite color!)

Seriously, as right know, NDS don't have any real good game, all what it has are remakes or incomplete games, the only one that worth owning that I tried is Kirby, which I will review it soon, other then that it has nothing. I don't know about Metos, because it did not release yet.

About the GBA, I will be honest with you there. GBA is dieing. only few games are coming and in E3 Nintendo only announced very few games, which means GBA future is not as bright as NDS.

It is kind of hard to tell you something and I don't know you, but I will tell you what I would do.

I would buy Fire Emblem, then wait until more then 5 games that interest me for NDS, then I would buy NDS with the five games and the color that I wanted it to be in.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:54 PM   #95
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

alright ill wait and go buy Fire Emblem today. im want a black NDS, but im not sure when it is coming out.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #96
Paper exe
Pwnd

Kirby Canvas Curse~NDS-Platform

Ok SFS, I will start reviewing them.

I will start with Kirby, which is one of the characters that I like.
You know me, I don't see more then the first pictures of the game and I don?t see any videos of a game that I am already interested on, so when I played the game it was a shock for me, because it only uses the Touch screen and the fact the Kirby is a ball again, but this time it is not a spin off.
I will like to warn people that the thieves Nintendo of America have removed the pink pin that came for free in the Japan version, but at lest it has a better box art!

The gameplay is very simple, you play as the magical brush that can draw a rainbow to make Kirby ride it, to go to high to reach areas or you can block enemies attacks and you can even draw walls to make Kirby change the direction that he is facing. If you draw a rainbow rood to make Kirby ride it, Kirby will go to the direction that you drew the rainbow line on, which is a very good thing and make the game easer to control. Keep in mind that the rainbow ink decreases if you drew a rainbow line, but it recovers by it self slowly if it in the air or on top of a rainbow line or quickly if it in the ground.
The rainbow line disappears quickly and if you draw another line it disappears immediately.
If you make Kirby ride a circle, he will dash by him self, but it will west a lot of ink. I for one beat the game with out using it, because I forgot that it excite.

You can effect the surrounding of the game by touching them, for example, some stuff like Yellow blocks, can be destroyed by touching them and you can paralyze enemies by touching them, which if they are parallelized and Kirby collided with them, they will die. You can even touch a machine to make it stop working or start working etc but keep in mind that there is a lot of stuff that touching them is useless.
Off course there is the famous copy ability, but this time you can get it by just killing the enemy and it is by parallelizing them and then make Kirby collide with them or by touching Kirby and that will make him dash, and it will make Kirby move faster and kill the enemy that in front of him when he is dashing.
There are a lot of different kinds of abilities Kirby can copy and Nintendo made a good job making them and with this gameplay. Well, some of them are old once, but they do feel different then what the original once was.

well, the game has a good control, but it really piss me off sometimes like when I draw a line, so that Kirby go to the higher area, then Kirby only go half threw it and then he bounce in the other side and sometimes I draw a line and Kirby stick and couldn?t move, because the area is too small then I draw another line, so that I save time, then both of them disappear in the same time and then Kirby falls (Don't ask me how, but it did happen to me) but then again it is all because of me drawing bad lines and in a hurry.
I did not notice these in the main mode, only in the Rainbow Run mode which needs you to go to a part of a stage (every stage has three parts) and finish them in two challenges, each will let you be in a different one of the three parts. The first challenge will need you to finish the part as fast as you can, there are three medals. Getting third place will give you a medal and second another medal and first and the third and the last medal.
The second one will need you to finish the part with only using few rainbow lines. There will be a bucket full of ink the fewer you use the better. And again there is one of the three medals in every rank of the three.
I for one get the first two levels medals very easily, in fact I could do better then that and I did make a lot of mistakes, but yet I get first place, but keep in mind that from the forth and up level, it will not be an easy task!

The main mode is where you have to finish a level to unlock it in the Rainbow run mode. In every level there are 3 stages and in every stage, there are three very good designed parts and in every part there is a medal hidden. The second screen is used like Mario 64 DS and that is to ruin the game (a map!!!!!), by it, you can know where the hidden medals are hidden, which in that way they are not hidden anymore, it also tell you where you will go and remove all of the surprises and tell you that the area is a trap or not. What killing me is that, why make one (a trap) if you can easily know by seeing the second screen!?!
They did not even made one part of a stage that needs you to see the map to finish it!

After finishing all of the three stages in the level, you will have to choose to fight one of the three boss, if you beat him you will go to the next level and you will have to finish that level to fight one again, but the one that you already beat will be in level 2, if you beat him again, you can fight him again and in the last level, but on the sup games mode, because in the main mode you can only fight a boss twice. Every one of the three boss fights are just a mini game, which give you a very good use of the touch screen and a very bad one for the second screen, unfortunately not one of them is the famous tree boss.
Keep in mind that the boss fights are very, very easy, but very hard if you choose level three in the sup game mode trying to get an A.

What the medals is used for you ask?
It used to get stuff from the medal swap mode, which needs you to break a block using a medal (one medal per a hit) to get stuff, but they will not tell you what the thing that you will get. I hate it when I end up getting an extra life energy.
You can unlock all kind of stuff there, but "there are some blocks that cannot be broken until some certain conditions have met" (Don't read page 21 of the instruction booklet, because it will spoil something that you will only get far in to the game)
Ohh, if you are wondering there are 250 medals in the game!

The sound effect are good old Kirby once, even the music are just remix of older once, most of them that is, only few new once, which may be the reason why this game released that early in Japan. I loved the music anyway and there is sound test and you can also hear the original music in the sound test, but I cannot give any excuse for laziness or if they have no patience, especially if this game is made by a first party. The other problem is that, the music is in a very low volume, Mario 64 DS for an example is Nintendo's first game for NDS and the music is not in that low volume. It is a big problem in my case, because I liked the music.

The graphics is nothing special. And I did not note any good animation. The special effects are good, but NDS can do better. Why this game looks good then? Because simply of the background. a lot of games get lower because of the bad background, but this game is different. There are a lot of different backgrounds in the game and they are just art and beautiful, in fact I stop Kirby from moving just to look at the background!

There is no Multiplayer mode. Beating the game is only about 25% of the game and you will also have to go throw the game 4 times and get all the medals etc So the game have a high reply value and a decent length for a platform game.
Also, this one is not like most of Kirby games, because it actually a lot more challenging then them and it piss me off a lot of times. It may not be the best Kirby game, but it is still one of the best and the best real NDS game. (In it times that is)

Gameplay: (8/10)
Graphics: (5/10)
Sound: (7/10)
Longevity: (7/10)
Kirby Canvas Curse: (27/40)

Last edited by Paper exe; 09-26-2005 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #97
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

I was looking forward to this game, but it doesn't seem all that special anymore. I don't like how the 'secrets' are given away on the second screen. :annoyed: Ok, now that we've had the obligatory Kirby title, will Nintendo please allow Hal to produce a sequel to Arcana or perhaps something different for a change?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:17 AM   #98
Paper exe
Pwnd

One Kirby game per a console is not enough for Hal it seems. Expect more Kirby games for NDS.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:22 AM   #99
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence

That's why the guy who created Kirby (as well as Super Smash Brothers), Masahiro Sakurai, quit. I'd be pissed, too, if I was only made to work on games about a pink blob. That just can't be good for these programmers'/designers' mental health.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:15 PM   #100
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

there is not really any secrets in the levels. in though they tell you on the second screen where the bronze coins are hidden, the problem arises on attempting to get up their to it. i was surprised to see that IGN gave Kirby Canvas Curse a 9.0.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #101
Paper exe
Pwnd

Wario Ware Touched~NDS-Mini games

I will review another NDS game for SFS.

Wario was and always a great character, but if it was not, because of Mario Spin offs that he appeared at, it would have been a fact, too bad they ruined him, by making him kiddy and unfunny. (Just see the embarrassing and stupid and sucky and kiddy opening video on Mario Golf and Tennis for NGC and you will know what I mean. )
Don't worry, in Wario Ware series, he is the same old Wario that we all loved. :cool guy:

Wario Ware series is all about playing tiny small mini games that only last few seconds and it called micro games. One will be played after the other quickly. You will also need to understand how the mini game plays and win it, before the time runs out or you will lose one of the 4 lifes. If you won a micro game, you will pass and go to the higher number, the same will happen also if you loose, but one of your 4 lifes will be removed.
You will play random amount of Micro games and it will get faster after playing some micro games (depend on the stage that you choosed), then you will fight a boss. the boss fights are just a bigger micro games then usually, after beating the boss, you will go to the next stage. If you played the stage all over again, you will not need to beat the boss, but if you won you will get a life, but if you lose you will lose a life and then the usual micro games will be in normal difficulty then hard, then the micro game will just go faster.

Every character (stage) has he is own style of micro games, for an example Jimmy T Micro games are all about rubbing the screen and Ashley Micro games are all about Dragging stuff and so on. This game is the most variety Wario Ware game, there are only few games that plays like the other 200 hundreds micro games, you heard right, only few of the micro games plays similar, if it wasn't of Mic this game would have countable amount of similar micro games.

All Micro games use the touch screen of course, with no use of the D-Pad and main buttons, but it dose use the mic for Mic's micro games, which most of them just needs you to blow on NDS, which I also think that it is stupid and needs more then just blowing. The second screen is used for an extra screen and it rarely used in a Micro game.
There are two new Wario Ware Characters here, and they fit just right in to the group.
But you will not play as all the old characters.

The main mode is where you just have to beat the boss of the character stage to go to the other one and each character has his/her own story.
There is Album mode, which is where you can play all the Micro games that you already played and if you get the score that they asked for in a micro game, you will get a flower in that Micro game. Try getting them all, to unlock everything in the game. (Note that when you choose a Micro game in the Album mode, you can only play that Micro game. First it is the Micro game, but on easy then normal then hard then easy again, but faster and so on)

You can also get stuff if you get high scores in every stage. They mostly end up being toys that are in the Toys mode, which where you can play them. They are just simply......toys, and very few if you asked me. It also shows you how video games are more fun then toys and how boring toys really are. The toys make good uses of the Touch screen and sometimes you get a mini game, a real one not these tiny Micro games.

When playing a Wario Ware game, you most guaranty that you will hear some good tunes. (My favorite is off course Mona song )
Unfortunately there is no sound test.
One big problem and it is that it looks and sounds more of a GBA game then NDS, but then again what did you expected from a launch title!?!
Well, it dose sound better and look better, but there aren't much of a notable difference, in fact Wario Ware Twisted has better animation!
But, there are some games that Touched look better and it dose use better colors.
The voices are the same as the first GBA once, I for one did not note any difference in quality that is.

In the end, this game has a high replay value and again, it makes a good use of the touch screen and a bad one for the second screen. The game is pretty short. You can even beat the game %100 in 3 days!!!!
........... I spanned an hour of my review playing Wario Ware Touched.
Sorry, I just forgot that I am reviewing it. Better late then never.
Here the high score that I just get today, when I was reviewing the game.
Dr. Crygor: 75.
And here my unbreakable score.
Feeling Saucy: 202!!!!! (Yes I used my nails, but still don't try it on your NDS, so that you don't break my high record and your NDS screen)

Gameplay: (8/10)
Graphics: (4/10)
Sound: (5/10)
Longevity: (7/10)
Wario Ware Touched: (24/40)

Last edited by Paper exe; 09-26-2005 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #102
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavedFromSin
there is not really any secrets in the levels. in though they tell you on the second screen where the bronze coins are hidden, the problem arises on attempting to get up their to it. i was surprised to see that IGN gave Kirby Canvas Curse a 9.0.
I know what you mean, but still, it helps a lot and they even shows the hidden doors and passages that lead you to it, so it dose tell you how to get a lot of them, instead of you finding it by your self.

Anyway, SFS, now I have reviewed all the three games that you asked my opinion on.
Kirby and Yoshi and Wario. I also reviewed Feel the Magic and I was going to review Pac Pix. If any one wants, I will review it, but tomorrow. Today I will be playing Magic Quest 3. In the past the jerk Mickey used to have great games.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:23 PM   #103
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

thanks for reviewing them. ill probably get Wario Ware since i really liked it when i played it at Best Buy (plus your review kind of pushed me in that direction).

Old 06-23-2005, 07:08 PM   #104
Nem
Smash bro!

Wario Ware was till this day the only DS game ive played. Its pretty funny. Anyways its just not my style to pay full price for such a type of game. Actually i just dont buy them at all. Anyways, my point is that the game seemed pretty good and showed the potencial of the DS touch screen for game interaction.

Last edited by Nem; 07-24-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Nem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #105
welshfreak
: )

There is definetly buckets loads of potential with the stylus, but the question remains, will it been exploited?
welshfreak is offline   Reply With Quote