The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 08:19 AM   #181
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence
 
Icarus4578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
it is one thing to point out mistakes, but it is another to say that their opinions are wrong.

opinions are never wrong.

storm eagle has two different attacks that can knock you off the edge. one can be jumped over, but when he blows wind at you, you simply cannot jump to evade it. you need the dash if you want to survive his blowing wind.

and sinse you get to pay as vile when you beat the game, it isn't a spoiler. had gamespot gave away some plot details or something like that, you could definately say they spoiled some things. my friend told me you can play as vile when you beat the game. i didn't think that was a spoiler.
No, it's great that someone [Paper] can disagree with another's opinion and be so vocal about it, backing up his disagreements with sound, logical evaluation. Opinions aren't facts -- that's stating the obvious. However, let the man say whatever he wants.
__________________
Turn on the difference.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #182
Paper exe
Pwnd
 
Paper exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,875
I apologies for the delay, my review is already finished, but I don?t have any pictures, so I will try to post it as fast as possible on tomorrow morning.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #183
gearhound
Versus the World
 
gearhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: can't tell you
Posts: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
I did not say that there opinion are wrong, I said there reviews are wrong.


About storm Eagle, no you can avoid it by simply pressing the opposite direction button. Storm Eagle, wouldn't use it too much, so you can avoid it, but the problem comes if he blow wind, then used his storm then it became hard to survive, because there would be no room for mistakes, but he can still be beaten and easily on normal.
Seriously, what kind of an idiot that didn't figure out that you can survive if you go to the opposite direction of the wind!?

Please, telling you what you would unlock and spoil the surprise isn't a spoiler!?
I do think that they did need to talk about Vile, but they didn't and missed a lot of importants part. They just said it for the sack of saying it.


Gearhound you did not replay to a lot of what I said, so how can you entitle to protecting them if you couldn't disprove anything I said.
Tell you what, no one told you to not trust them, but to me and others we don't want to trust such untrustworthy sell outs like Gamespot, which are full with huge mistakes like what we can see in that one review that I read.

Edit: Hay Gearhound I remember you saying that you liked gamespy the most and you trust them a lot if so then hear what they have to say about the secrets.
it isn't about disproving what they said. you said their opinions are way too wrong. sinse when is an opinion wrong? you did point out mistakes, but that hardly makes them a sell out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
No, it's great that someone [Paper] can disagree with another's opinion and be so vocal about it, backing up his disagreements with sound, logical evaluation. Opinions aren't facts -- that's stating the obvious. However, let the man say whatever he wants.
icarus, you have done the same thing to other opinion-based threads. i was only replying to paper because he said their opinions are wrong.

gamespot really aren't that bad, but gaming age is... they suck.

we'll be waiting for that review of megaman x maverick hunter, paper
__________________
I do not have a signature.

Last edited by gearhound; 02-19-2006 at 06:49 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:16 AM   #184
Paper exe
Pwnd
 
Paper exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,875
Gearhound I really did not say that there opinion are wrong I just said that there review is wrong, look see for your self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
I was going to give sell out like Gamespot a chance today, because a respective member here (Alucard) trust them and guess what, they simply loses that chance on reading the first review. They are idiots and there reviews are way too wrong.
Gearhound I think you need to understand that when I said there review is wrong I did not mean that there opinion I really meant that it is wrong, because of the mistakes that I mentioned.

Last edited by Paper exe; 02-20-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:24 AM   #185
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence
 
Icarus4578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
icarus, you have done the same thing to other opinion-based threads. i was only replying to paper because he said their opinions are wrong.

gamespot really aren't that bad, but gaming age is... they suck.
Why should an opinion always be considered right? If we never disagree with anyone, what's the point in individuality?
__________________
Turn on the difference.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #186
gearhound
Versus the World
 
gearhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: can't tell you
Posts: 3,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Why should an opinion always be considered right? If we never disagree with anyone, what's the point in individuality?
i agree, but opinions are subjective expressions. i don't, however, think that all opinions are right.

paper, to say that someone's review is wrong is invalid. you can say their opinion is full of bias, mistakes and that it is nothing but a gripe fest (see gaming age's review of ninja gaiden and grandia 3), but some opinions can have factual errors. but when it comes to a subjective review, it is a different story. i won't say that gaming age's review of ninja gaiden is wrong... i will say that it is pathetic, poorly written and doesn't say anything really good about the game.

gamespot's review did have some spoiler issues and maybe they didn't take the time to figure out that you can beat storm eagle without dashing, but to call them sell outs because of that is too harsh in my book.

what if they said megaman x maverick hunter is just a sad rehash and that vile is a really crappy playable character? would you say their opinion is wrong?
__________________
I do not have a signature.

Last edited by gearhound; 02-20-2006 at 05:15 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:28 PM   #187
Paper exe
Pwnd
 
Paper exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,875
I am pawned Gearhound, Paper exe the weakest writer in the forums did not use the appropriate word!!11!
That just unbelievable, how dare I not using the perfect and most suitable word even thought the point was clear and every one understood me perfectly!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:52 PM   #188
Paper exe
Pwnd
 
Paper exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,875
Megaman Maverick Hunter X~PSP-Action

The first Megaman X is my all time favorite of the X series and Capcom were kind enough to remake it for PSP. It came with no surprise that Capcom would stupidly release this game after the X collection, which included the original version of X 1 and 5 other X games, Capcom are talented on doing things like that, just like what they did when announcing the PS2 version of RE4 just before the release of the NGC version. Well, I still appreciate what they did and if they didn't warned me I would have bought the NGC version, so I still am happy on there decisions, which decreases there games sells, but I guess they really don't care about it.



A side scrolling shooter with platforming element, but there isn?t a lot of platforming like the original series. Megaman jumps and can also shots his X buster to attack enemies and he can charge his shot to perform a stronger attack and that pretty much all what he dose. In the X series, now Megaman can wall kick, basically Megaman now can climb walls, and starts with few Hit points and collect power ups.
Choose a stage, then defeat the boss and get his weapon. Each weapon is strong against one of the eight boss and all of these weapons have limited ammos. In this game each weapon can be used in the same number of times. No, they are not well balanced, some weapons are stronger then others.

After getting all power ups the game become straight forward and you can easily avoid all holes and pitfall and can easily beat enemies and even boss by repeatedly pressing X button. I actually beat the game with out getting any power ups on normal. The game was made to be beaten without the need of getting any power up. I did enjoy the game more without the power ups and I actually start recognizing what they put on the stage other then continuing holding forward until I beat the game. Collecting power ups is fun, but makes Megaman way over power.
There is Hard mode and there, enemies and boss attacks serves more damage and enemies have higher defense and less likely to drop items or good once. They did not change the stages to make them harder and the platforming part still didn't change on difficulty. The boss now are tougher and with extra attacks.
To make it short, hard mode didn't add much other then boss performing one or two new attacks it is the same old not thoughtful hard mode that a lot of games has, which is a disappointment.
Playing in normal is way to easy even easier then the original game on normal. I think the game can only be fully enjoyed on hard mode.


Note how I don't even have one power up.

In this remake you can view all the weapons without the need of pausing, which made it easier to scroll and change weapons using L and R and if you equipped a special weapon you can still use the X buster by pressing triangle. Each time you start a stage your life cannot be less then two, which is a very nice edition. No, it did not lower the difficulty level.
Unfortunately there are some disadvantages on the control. To unequipped a special weapon you have to press both L and R in the same time. In the original and even all X games it can easily be done, but not now, now you have to press them both right on time or it wouldn?t work.
In the original you can jump higher while on a wall by holding circle/A button then jump, but not anymore, now you have to time it right to do it. (Note that you can only perform this after getting a power up in the game and you can beat the game without it) I don?t know why they did this, it was uncomfortable enough that I used to hold both squire/Y and circle/A buttons then press B/X to do it while charging, other then that the game controls as good as the original or even better.

All stages are pretty well designed and on this remake they did made some few changes on some of the stages. They did also completely changed the last stages and have done a very good job on it, not to mention that the best and most famous parts of those final stages are available, so no one missed anything important. There have been some notable changes on boss, some ended up very similar and some have been changed a lot.


Nothing easier then beating Storm Eagle without having any power ups.

Half of the enjoyment of the game is from the soundtrack; most of the music available are pretty good. Megaman X1 is and has the best soundtrack of all X series, it is just sad seeing there talent decreases dramatically until we see them making mediocre soundtracks like what we can see on X5, X6, X7, X8. It can be shown obviously in this game because there are few and limited numbers of new music and they are simply no match for the old, original once. They did even fail to make one music as good as the old once.
One of the best editions on this game is the rearranged soundtrack and the music are on higher quality. They have done a pretty nice job on it. The problem is that about maybe 4 of the music have been removed and not even replaced, which made this remake have even less music then the original, not to mention that I actually loved 3 of those music and they are still on my top 5 (The password music for an example. Yes, I loved that music.)
The story and events had been changed and with full voice acting. They also made the sounds effects on today stander.

It is still a side scrolling game, but characters/enemies are now on 3D, they are nice animated. They did redesign the boss and made them look better and also more colorful. They also had done a good job on special effects. The background and environment looks good and all, thought some areas did need more work.
Warning; stop reading if you are avoiding spoilers (See how easy and simple putting a warning was.)
There is vile mode, which you can play with the evil character Vile. He plays differently then X or Zero and even Bass/Axl, and all the stages are completely different on enemies? placement and pitfalls and even platforming, it is more challenging then Megaman and they did make a great job on it. It actually doesn?t even feel that the stages design wasn?t originally made for Vile. They did even change the placement of the power ups (at lest for about half of it), all of that is great and all, but there is one huge and stupid mistake that they made, which ruined the mode completely or at lest half of it. All eight stages has that one new same crappy music on each one of them, so no great soundtrack to enjoy and that pretty much shows how much important music are and how much difference they can make on a game. I really am still having a hard time believing that they stupidly did this. All stages having the same music is bad even if the music isn?t crappy like the current one.


I liked how clearing a stage could affect another stage.


Gameplay (7/10)
Graphices (7/10)
Sound (9/10)
Length (6/10)
Megaman Maverick Hunter X (29/40)

The game is very short and they did not add a lot of extras in this remake unlike what I expected. This remake sadly doesn?t have a sound test like the original.

Last edited by Paper exe; 02-21-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:34 PM   #189
gearhound
Versus the World
 
gearhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: can't tell you
Posts: 3,061
that's a pretty fair score, paper. i also agree that some of the rearranged music is really good, but i would say the soundtrack to megaman x4 definately rivals that of megaman x.

paper, you are the god of 2d megaman...

...now you should review astro boy for the GBA!
__________________
I do not have a signature.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #190
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence
 
Icarus4578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe

Nothing easier then beating Storm Eagle without having any power ups.
There's just one thing missing from the picture: That's right, the Storm Eagle!
__________________
Turn on the difference.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #191
Paper exe
Pwnd
 
Paper exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,875
Because he is already died! Just look at his life mater. It is empty.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #192
Icarus4578
Virtuosity of Excellence
 
Icarus4578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,528
Yeah, but it would've been better had you actually shown a boss in a screenshot rather than the aftermath.
__________________
Turn on the difference.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:44 PM   #193
Paper exe
Pwnd
 
Paper exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,875
The problem is that when I try to take a picture the boss would hit me and I may even die, because the time I take to take the picture. I actually was trying to take a picture when he just dies, but the picture turn out to be unclear. If you want to I will post the picture here.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:37 PM   #194
Seraph
>:3
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 11,005
How does megaman control paper? although i enjoyed MMX8, the characters controlled way to sloppy and it was like X8 had super gravity.

The 3D on this one, looks alot like MMX8, so i wondered if it was the same engine.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:26 PM   #195
gearhound
Versus the World
 
gearhound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: can't tell you
Posts: 3,061
not the same engine... nice backgrounds, good control.
__________________
I do not have a signature.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.