The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-10-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Paper exe
Pwnd

Paper exe fair scores

All of my reviews are free spoiler, so read them with out fear!
Games reviewd
Dreamcast
Game Boy
Kirby's Block Ball
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Classic NES Series: Castlevania
Classic NES Series: Super Mario Bros
Golden Sun the Lost Age
Hamtaro Ham-Ham Games
Lunar Legend
Mario Pinball Land
Mario Vs Donkey Kong
MegaMan Battle Network 3 White
Sonic Advance
Super Mario Advance 3/Yoshi Island
The Legend Of Zelda the Minish Cap
Game Gear
Nintendo 64
Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Nintendo DS
Daigasso! Band Brothers
Feel The Magic: XY/XX
Kirby Canvas Curse
Wario Ware Touched
Yoshi Touch & Go
Nintendo Game Cube
Mega Drive
Megaman the Wily Wars
Play Station One
Play Station 2
Atelier Iris Eternal Mana
FullMetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel
Good of Wars
Haunting Ground
Zone of the Enders
PSP
Megaman Maverick Hunter X
Sega Saturn
Virtua Fighter CG Portrait Series (Shun DJ)
Super Nintendo
Xbox

Last edited by Paper exe; 02-21-2006 at 05:04 PM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 05:43 PM   #2
Paper exe
Pwnd

Classic NES Series: Castlevania~GBA-Advanture

First of all I would like to warn people that this game cost $20 in US and it is the same old version of the original game and it dose not even have one extra and to make it worst, Konami already remake it for PS1 and the PS1 version not only have better music and Graphics and higher quality sound, but you can choose between the original version and the improved version and to make it even more worst, Konami them self already made 3 new Castlevania games for GBA that released before this game and it have a lot better graphics.
Just see for your self
Old

New

the sound effects are just like this.
chshhhh and kinnn and grrrch and
but at lest it dose have very good Soundtrack, but GBA can still make a lot better quality music then that, but to be honest I never thought that a game like this could ever have good soundtrack and that is a bad news for these horror games that have no music at all, I know that what it should be and I do agree that not all of them needs it, but they could at lest make a great title and the save screen musics and great end music as well, in that way, we can all be happy.
the gameplay is nothing special you play as a very slow man that have a whip (your main weapon) in a side-scrolling game, but slow is not your only problem because Simon (the hero) spend a little time to jump to avoid the vampire Dracula attacks so that the game can be realistic :annoyed:
But at lest you can power up your whip so it can be taller and stronger by getting the power up that can be found by hitting candles (the whip mix level is 3)
You can find candles every wear in the level and you can easily get power ups and the like, in short by hitting candles you will get hearts or power up etc.
And there is sup weapons in the game, but you needs hearts too use them (when I first played the game I thought that hearts are my HP )and you can only hold 1 sup weapon.
I would like to make another warning that this game is not for low timbred people, but don't worry, the music make it up for it, but that if you liked the music in that level, because you may not like it.
But at lest you can save every time you finish a stage (finish two short levels then kill the boss to finish one stage)

Gameplay: (4/10)
Graphics: (3/10)
Sound: (4/10)
Longevity: (5/10)
Classic NES Series: Castlevania: (16/40)

if you are asking why I bought the game even thought I already own the PS1 version
then that because I am a Castlevania fan, so I bought it for the different boss and one different level and one different music, but I still think that the PS1 remake is better by boss and music (yes that music is my favorite and I think it called blood line or something you can find it in VGmusic.com, I know it is not the original, but it is still good) about the different level I think both are as good.

Last edited by Paper exe; 09-26-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:12 PM   #3
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

This is what you call a 'fair' reviews thread? What the hell is wrong with you? This is an old CV game, it's older than the three games on the gba, which are nothing but ports too(in a sense). FF:O has redone music and fmv's that werent in the wsc ports of FF1 and FF2, but those were still ports either way you look at it. I took you off my ignore list because I thought that you might actually show me some credibility in this thread, I was wrong.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:38 AM   #4
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messanic
This is what you call a 'fair' reviews thread? What the hell is wrong with you? This is an old CV game, it's older than the three games on the gba, which are nothing but ports too(in a sense). FF:O has redone music and fmv's that werent in the wsc ports of FF1 and FF2, but those were still ports either way you look at it. I took you off my ignore list because I thought that you might actually show me some credibility in this thread, I was wrong.
I know that but konami should know that now it is 2000 not 1980 so they should make it alot better like better graphics and alot of extras and better sound etc
and I reviewed the GBA version not the NES and I give most games low so don't be made :cool guy: only a great game will get high but there is not a lot of them

I am sorry if I made you angry but if it going to let you feel any better I don't hate you ;)
PS:I am working on mario vs donkey kong review

Last edited by Paper exe; 05-04-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:51 AM   #5
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Well they purposely left the game they way it was. It was no intention to remake it with better graphics and update the game play. It wouldn?t be called a, "Classic NES Series" if they changed it. Of course I wouldn?t buy it for $20 dollars. They should have put a whole series of 3 to 5 NES game into one cartridge and sell it for $20. :cool guy:

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:57 AM   #6
Magnus
The world's stopping but we keep going

Unfortunantly, Paper, I feel you have missed the point of the Classic NES series. The classic NES series is designed to give the buyer the experience of NES games. The graphics, sounds, gameplay etc are all meant to be exactly the same as they were on the NES. Heck, the games are simply roms running off of an emulator.

By slamming what is poor about them without understanding what they are supposed to be, your review unfortunantly lacks credibility. I hope you fix this later on though and start producing good solid reviews, since I like to read the review threads here.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 01:58 AM   #7
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinful Sam
Well they purposely left the game they way it was. It was no intention to remake it with better graphics and update the game play. It wouldn?t be called a, "Classic NES Series" if they changed it. Of course I wouldn?t buy it for $20 dollars. They should have put a whole series of 3 to 5 NES game into one cartridge and sell it for $20. :cool guy:
yes they should made 5 NES games in one cartridge and sell it for $20

and about the Classic NES Series Castlevania
konami have remaked the first Castlevania game for other consoles and it is alot better and older then the GBA version

Quote:
Classic NES series. The classic NES series is designed to give the buyer the experience of NES games. The graphics, sounds, gameplay etc are all meant to be exactly the same as they were on the NES. Heck, the games are simply roms running off of an emulator.
You are right but they should let you select between the original and the improved version not only the original

Last edited by PaperEXE; 11-11-2004 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:23 AM   #8
Magnus
The world's stopping but we keep going

Probably not, but we'll see. PaperEXE has had his moments here and there and I'm sure his reviews will improve in time if he continues them.
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:42 AM   #9
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus
Probably not, but we'll see. PaperEXE has had his moments here and there and I'm sure his reviews will improve in time if he continues them.

You read that 'Peper exe,' your given the benefit of the doubt, use it wisely this time, oh wait, you even spelled your own name wrong in the thread title. Seriously, the next review has to actually have substance cause the your CV review was crap, and you talk about baised reviews on your favorite Nintendo games.
Messanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:54 AM   #10
Drunken Savior

Quote:
You read that 'Peper exe,' your given the benefit of the doubt, use it wisely this time, oh wait, you even spelled your own name wrong in the thread title. Seriously, the next review has to actually have substance cause the your CV review was crap, and you talk about baised reviews on your favorite Nintendo games.
I don't think he'll mind me fixing it....

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 03:30 AM   #11
Paper exe
Pwnd

Mario Vs Donkey Kong~GBA-Platform

This game is a mix with Puzzle and platform, but there is more platforming then puzzle therefore the genre is platform.
In this game you play as Mario, he can perform a lot of moves, you have to use them to finish the levels, but some of the moves are rarely used so they are mostly useless.
The levels are very small and in every level there are two parts, if you cleared them you cleared one level, some of the levels, you need to get the key to finish them and some levels needs you to guide the toys to the toy box and some levels you just have to get the toy that is trapped in a bubble.
If you finished 7 levels you will fight Donkey Kong (boss) if you beat him you will go to the next world.
Note that this game plays like the original Donkey Kong games meaning that this game is not a traditional side scrolling platform.
In every level, you can finish it with every gift and break the highest score, so that you finish it %100 and in this game there is about 100 levels, but they are very small and the game Mario advance 2 have about 70 or 80 a lot bigger levels and it is an older GBA game and from the same company so that dose not help them, but at lest, a lot of them is unlockable, which give you a reason to play some more.

let just not forget that this game have great graphics and the characters have a lot of details and very good animated, but the background is not good, which just don't feel right, with every thing is great except the background is just wrong, the developers are either lazy or forget about it, because all what they have to do is only draw about 100 good pictures. (Really it is not much)
The sound effect are the usually Mario sound effects, but this game is the first game that Mario talks (when I say talk I don't mean these short voice like yahoooooo or hohooo like any other new Mario game)
This game also have very few music and I only liked the title screen music, which is just a remix the others are new music , but are not as good as the older Donkey Kong or Mario games.

Gameplay: (7/10)
Graphics: (9/10)
Sound: (6/10)
Longevity: (5/10)
Mario Vs Donkey Kong: (27/40)

I think they should have called it Donkey Kong 5, because it is the perfect name for it, there is no need to over use Mario name.

Last edited by Paper exe; 09-26-2005 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:41 AM   #12
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
I reviewed Mario vs Donkey before seeing your post so don't get any bad idea
and my CV review is fair because the game cost $20 only $10 cheaper then GBA games so it should have been alot better or sell it for $5 then I will think of giveing it higher score

:yikes: I spelled my name wrong

thanks DS :cool guy:

Last edited by Paper exe; 03-05-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:34 AM   #13
Paper exe
Pwnd

Megaman the Wily Wars~SEGA Mega Drive-Platform

This game is the best Megaman remake ever made and it is by far better then the crap that released for PS2 and Xbox and NGC and that crap was developed by another developer, but this one is by Capcom them self and it is a lot better, because Capcom have improved the graphics and make it Mega Drive quality and they even made an all new background for the levels and this game also have Mega Drive Sound effect quality and remix music and on top of all that there is Sound test, but the music are slower then the original this is not a bad thing but I just wanted to point it out.

The gameplay is very simple, you play as Megaman (blue robot kid) that one of his arms is a gun, so you can use it to shoot at enemies in a side-scrolling game.
When you start the game, you can choose any stage you want and in the end of every stage you will fight a boss and if you beat him you will get a new weapon, but these weapons have limit, so they are mostly useless and you can finish every level with out the need of using them, I only use one for the boss, because every boss has a weakness, in short it work just like the game rock and paper and scissor.
ohh keep in mind that this game have more holes then enemies so you will be jumping most of the time.

Now I will explain all the games that are available.

Megaman
It is the first one and the hardest, when you start the game, you will have to choose between 6 stages, the stages are all really different from each other and good designed, but what make them great is the music and in this version they improved the music, the original music are still good but the system that was originally made for and the time did not help it.

Megaman 2
Now that one great game why you ask, because of the music and this game also proves that great soundtrack can make the game better and they are as important as graphics, so to me a game that have bad soundtrack is just like a game that have bad graphics.

Because it is a sequel, Capcom let you choose between 8 stages and they add items that are used to help you go throw obstacles not to kill enemies. (You will get one after killing a boss (yes some boss will give you a weapon and an item))
And in this game you can get another kind of item and it is hidden in levels and can be used to restore your health fully.

This one is my favorite in my opinion and the level design are pretty good as well and it have high replay value I for one finished it at lest 10 times.

Megaman 3
The last one is Megaman 3 and there are a lot of people that like this one more then the second, but it is still a great game that in the level of the second one and yes it dose have great soundtrack too.

In this game Megaman now can slide, also it is bigger then the two older once because duh it have more levels.
Also in this game you will get Rush instead of items and Rush is a lot more useful, but you will steal not use it just like the weapons I only use one if I have too or if I want to go to high to reach areas.

and that?s it, but keep in mind that the second one have all what the first one have and more and the third one have all what the second one have and more(off course I said the difference and what they edit)

The last thing that I am going to say is that, this game is worth owning even if you have every signal Megaman game expect this one. ;)

Gameplay: (6/10)
Graphics: (8/10)
Sound: (10/10)
Longevity: (9/10)
Megaman the Wily Wars: (33/40)

Last edited by Paper exe; 09-26-2005 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:07 AM   #14
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Wow, so do you really think that Mega Man ~ The Wily Wars (33/40) is that much better than Metroid Zero Mission (25/40)?
Old 11-16-2004, 01:29 AM   #15
Reivenlocke
Leeeeroy Jenkinzzzzz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Wow, so do you really think that Mega Man ~ The Wily Wars (33/40) is that much better than Metroid Zero Mission (25/40)?
Wily Wars was so much drek. If I had to equate a movie to this Genesis port of Megaman 1,2, and 3, it would be "Lost in Translation".

Metroid Zero Mission was good up until Chozodia. Chozodia was a needless level with faux MGS style stealth play that was totally disjointed from the rest of the game and it definitely brought the game down a few points, IMO. They should have further expanded on Tourian and Crateria then made Mecha-Ridley the last boss you had to fight in order to escape the countdown on Zebes. That would have been more tense and difficult than the Chozodia fight.

"In the 80s, I was in bed by 8......and home by 11! OH!" - Glen Quagmire, Family Guy

"Good guy wins, bad guy loses. BIG FRIGGIN SURPRISE THERE!" - White Goodman, Dodgeball
Reivenlocke is offline   Reply With Quote